Talk

Advanced search

DS (16) wants to build his own gaming computer. What can I get him to start him off? I'm clueless!

(15 Posts)
WavingNotDrowning Mon 14-Dec-15 15:17:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOnlyPink Mon 14-Dec-15 15:23:31

If he wants to build one, then he really just needs the money. My dh was building his own pcs at around 18, and he says half the fun is tracking down the parts. It's not just the end product, but the building iykwim.
You could buy him a motherboard to get him started, but he might have a specific one in mind.

A raspberry pi isn't too young for him. My husband's work have them available for the employees to borrow and they all love them!

RubberDuck Mon 14-Dec-15 15:25:09

Raspberry Pi is great for projects, but not as part of a gaming computer. I agree with TheOnlyPink the best thing to do is give him money as half the fun for him will be planning the exact components for his budget.

AngelBlue12 Mon 14-Dec-15 15:34:32

True gaming PC's are not cheap though - you are looking at at least £1000 to get one that will do all the latest stuff. Best bet it to join a forum and get advice from all the geeks there.

WavingNotDrowning Mon 14-Dec-15 15:38:14

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 14-Dec-15 15:39:31

Direct him towards the pc specalist forum.

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Mon 14-Dec-15 15:51:54

The best thing you can give him is a voucher saying you will let him build it and you will pay for it. Give him a price you are happy to spend and tell him his birthday can be the same deal. Let him show you what he wants to get and how he fits it together etc. You taking an interest and showing trust in him to do it will mean a lot at that age.

Scan.co.uk is the place we use for our stuff. They are reasonably priced, good quality, excellent customer service and if you are close to Bolton you can go in store to geek out over the shinies they have out. We went with a list and they checked it was all compatible and made a suggestion which saved us a few quid and will give us better performance. I think you can email or call and run your list by them for the same service. It's invaluable as even a pro can sometimes make an error and they will make sure you have stuff that will best work together.

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Mon 14-Dec-15 15:52:20

Make your own voucher I mean btw.

WavingNotDrowning Thu 17-Dec-15 12:51:10

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Dec-15 13:00:07

I might be wrong but I thought Steam was about actual games, not PC components?

RubberDuck Thu 17-Dec-15 14:38:30

Yes, Steam is a shopfront for games, not for components. Making your own vouchers or giving him cash is probably the easiest way to go smile

blueturtle6 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:42:57

Try the forum on overclockers. DH builds PC and spends his life on there and scan.

busymum17 Fri 18-Dec-15 00:25:48

Our DS has asked for the same and after much thought we decided that giving him some money towards it would be the best. He was asking for something like an 'AMD quadcore processor' though if that helps.

SitsOnFence Fri 18-Dec-15 07:12:51

Cash! Or one of those payment cards pre-loaded with money so he can make online purchases.

If you want to get him something to open, how about a book? It'll probably be less relevant than the information on the forums, but it would make a nice everything-in-one-place reference tome. You could put the book and cash/card in one of those big clear storage boxes and make a 'gaming PC in progress' label to go on it. It will come in handy for storing all those expensive parts. Or how about a table/desk for his room for him to use as a workstation? IKEA do a great basic desk for under £15, if my memory serves me correctly, with chairs starting from under £10.

catbrushblanket Fri 18-Dec-15 07:33:59

He needs a large wodge of cash, probably at least £1000 and to hang out at overclockers. Steam is just for games, which will be the cheapest bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now