Talk

Advanced search

quick question - is there a PS4 equivalent of Xbox live?

(7 Posts)
AFingerofFudge Mon 14-Dec-15 13:04:41

We have decided to buy a console for the 3 DC's, but i have no idea which one to go for out of an xbox one or a ps4. They'll be playing things like FIFA16, minecraft, the older one will play star wars battlefront - any opinions? And as in my question, is it only on xbox you can chat with others?? (this may persuade me towards the ps4!!)

LizzieMacQueen Mon 14-Dec-15 13:17:58

You can play multi player with pS4, it just connects via wifi. My son opts to skype his pals whilst they play to chat.

There is Playstation Plus which is a subscription service. I think they may have to have this before they multi-play (though I am not sure).

AFingerofFudge Mon 14-Dec-15 13:20:17

ah thanks, veering towards the ps4, but still unsure!!

enderwoman Mon 14-Dec-15 14:12:58

I make my son play on the PlayStation without a headset and mute the sound of people chatting unless he is playing with people he know.

To be honest he is happy to mute the chat as listening to others swear etc interrupts his enjoyment of the game.

Find out which machine their friends have. Playing with people they know will be a big plus point.

AFingerofFudge Mon 14-Dec-15 14:17:18

that's a good point, thank you, will try to make some casual enquiries!

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 14-Dec-15 14:18:59

Yes you need Play Station Network to play on-line with friends on a PS4 - used to be free on the PS3 but you do get free games to download every month for your subscription. You can get a code on places like CDKeys that might be cheaper than buying it direct.

ImCatbug Mon 14-Dec-15 14:19:50

Yes, you do have to pay for a subscription service on PS4, the same as on Xbox One. Xbox needs Xbox Live Gold to play online and chat, PS4 needs PlaystationPlus to play online and chat. You also get free games every month with these subscriptions.
They're bothe exactly the same cost, £14.99 for 3 months or £39.99 for 12 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now