Talk

Advanced search

Main present for 5 year old daughter

(20 Posts)
Florabella Mon 14-Dec-15 12:01:59

Can anyone hep with ideas of a larger present for my daughter - I'm totally stuck! She's 5 (nearly 6), and would spend all day with a paper and pen drawing. I do have a few craft kits, but her brother's main present is a remote control helicopter and her sister's an iPod touch, so I need a main present that is a bit more substantial (£30-£50 range approx). Any ideas gratefully received.

She's not really into dolls or board games, more craft, and particularly drawing and painting.

Yarpyarp Mon 14-Dec-15 12:11:55

My friends daughter same age is getting a sewing machine (kids one obvs)!

Or how about 3D pen?

NantucketNightbird Mon 14-Dec-15 12:14:38

My daughter age 5 is getting the melissa and doug puppet theatre. Also the melissa and doug magic sets with a magician costume.

MarvellousCake Mon 14-Dec-15 12:16:07

Lego or something similar?

Florabella Mon 14-Dec-15 12:19:58

I'd looked at the sewing machine, but thought I might end up doing it for her! And had thought about the 3D pens, but had seen some bad reviews. Will revisit both of those with fresh eyes though, thanks.

She does have a puppet theatre handed down from cousins, but that would have been a good idea, I'm not sure magic tricks would suit (but might get that for her brother). Thanks

NantucketNightbird Mon 14-Dec-15 12:30:46

There's a melissa and doug easel on amazon deals later today?

Florabella Mon 14-Dec-15 12:58:15

She has lots of lego that she shares with her brother, but doesn't really play with it unless he does. The easel looks good, but we don't have enough room. Sorry, I do really appreciate the suggestions. Feel like Ive been looking forever and feeling bad that the others are sorted, but not her

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 14-Dec-15 13:12:57

A friend has bought her rising 6 yo daughter a little desk from Ikea that has a lift up lid. She filled it with stuff from Hobbycraft and got a little bendy light for it.

Is she very good at drawing etc or just likes it a lot? The RA [royal academy] are doing a paint your own pjs kit. Plain white cotton pj's with fabric paints.

You could also look for a jigsaw that turns into something? Like a globe or a working clock [grandfather style] so it's a craft piece when it's finished?

This shop might give other ideas
www.ottieandthebea.com/shop/

Something completely quirky
www.ottieandthebea.com/shop/to-decorate/little-rabbit-petit-lapin-nightlight/

The Brightminds website also does craft kits for sewing and jewellery making which come in a little basket.

Florabella Mon 14-Dec-15 13:14:37

Thanks for those ideas - I'll take a look at that website now
. I do have a paint your own t-shirt for their santa sacks.

clarabellap Mon 14-Dec-15 17:33:25

I have a 6 year old that spends all her time drawing, colouring or crafting/inventing things even when she is outside. She has so far got a goldiblox spinning machine set, a box with straws and connectors you can make structures out of, a solarium kit (you can get paint your own ones - she loves science and space too), a marble run. Sorry most of these are more suited to the inventor side of my daughter so probably aren't suitable. I'm also thinking of a den kit for outside.

BikeRunSki Mon 14-Dec-15 17:51:57

a Drawing projector

MrsJacksonAvery Mon 14-Dec-15 17:56:24

My 5yo DD is having a MicroScooter Sprite as she's grown out of her MiniMicro.

Artandco Mon 14-Dec-15 17:57:27

An easel with wooden art box with supplies in and canvas boards

Pobspits Mon 14-Dec-15 17:58:24

Dd is 5 and is getting as her main presents stretching, Flickr scooter and a Barbie house. Almost all of her friends have asked for the Flickr scooter too.

FilthyRascal Mon 14-Dec-15 20:03:02

Had this exact same issue with my dd who is 6 and doesn't really do toys..

In the end I plumped for a microscope. It was £25 so not the end of the world if it's not used all the time but I think she'll love it. Some preloaded slides etc come with it too. Perhaps that's more the sciencey side of dd though confused
She asked for sparkle science which granny is getting - could that be a possibility?
Other than that I've just got her little bits and pieces really, books, craft sets, new pens, couple of board games. We do a price limit for all the dc so it won't look like her brothers got more:

Other ideas that have been successful:
Teachers set
Post office set
Box of different craft things
A furby
Flower press
Endless board games

Oh I've just thought - other grandparents are getting a sing along CD player (a karaoke machine basically) and a few different CDs frozen etc. I think she will LOVE this / especially as the mics work alone so she can use it for other games etc.

Florabella Mon 14-Dec-15 20:40:36

Ooh, FilthyRascal I think you might have cracked it with the cd/karaoke machine - she does love to sing. Do you have a link to it?

Many thanks for all the other suggestions ladies - much appreciated

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 15-Dec-15 11:54:26

I think we have the same kids ! My DD loves her microscope [bright minds do it] and she would also adore a karaoke machine though she might not survive it That's her birthday taken care of !

neddle Tue 15-Dec-15 12:05:22

Thinking back to when mine were that age:

3d Magic Maker my eldest and third would have loved this.
Zoomer Kitty my second had Mip last year and my younger ones loved playing with it. Got a lot of wow factor as it's controlled by hand gestures.
What about a Kiddizoom watch? My fourth is 4 and is getting a Leapband this year, these look a bit more grown up though. I saw a lot of reception aged kids with them last year.

Tuiles Tue 15-Dec-15 12:11:53

My suggestion is a disco ball - they are brilliant for instantly turning a room into a disco - along with some cheesy music CDS!

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Tue 15-Dec-15 12:19:34

The innotab has an art studio on it which my crafty dd loves. The bonus is I can put her on that whilst I tidy her paints, pens and glue away!
Ds's innotab 2 cost £40. It also takes pictures which you can customise. My Dd is a year younger than yours but she's getting her own innotab 3 for Christmas as well as a big box of individually wrapped art & craft supplies instead of a stocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now