Talk

Advanced search

Amazon warning !

(13 Posts)
happymummy2010 Mon 14-Dec-15 12:01:29

Last night my DS was on my IPad looking for ideas for his Christmas list. He had been asking for a Wii U for ages and I had convinced him it wasn't an option as it was too expensive, but I had actually bought one as a surprise.
He was looking at the Wii U games on Amazon, and looked at Mario Maker and He noticed across the top of the page a banner saying 'you purchased this item on 1st Dec' so he has now worked out that I must have bought him the console as I have bought a game. ----
I know it's my fault that I hadn't logged out of Amazon before letting him use my iPad, but I thought I would warn you just in case your DC are browsing Amazon - Don't forget to log out of your Account first !

I mumbled that he must have misread what the banner said (after I hastily logged out of my Account !) but I think he has guessed what his main present is. Such a shame, as I haven't bought much else as the main present was so expensive.

Iggi999 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:21:31

Yikes. I'm sure he'll be just as happy getting to imagine it coming though. You probably won't hear from him again on Christmas Day once he opens it! thanks for the tip. I notice I get adverts for whatever I've looked at - so why has mummy been looking at guitar shops, when it's Santa bringing the guitar, he may ask? fhmm

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 14-Dec-15 16:36:08

in that instance i would have said it was for a friend at work who asked you to get it, ive used that several times! smile

and iggi santa hasnt got time to do the research on different guitars and elves cant be trusted on the internet!!

Iggi999 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:02:26

fgrin

Squishyeyeballs Tue 15-Dec-15 15:31:43

My purchases from amazon are somehow getting saved by google and now, if I search 'amazon' on google, a banner comes up on the results page saying 'you recently purchased X' fshock

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Wed 16-Dec-15 12:32:01

Those sodding cookies are annoying too, as pictures of what I've bought or looked at online are coming up on things like facebook so if the DCs are being nosy little buggers look over my shoulder they see it. Mind you it worked in my favour a bit, because I'd decided to get DD one of those frightmare things rather than a regular monster high doll (of which she has plenty)... the picture of it came up on the browser and DD saw it and fell in love with it <phew>

fieldfare Wed 16-Dec-15 12:41:16

Do your internet shopping on a private browsing session. No problems then as it won't come up on a normal browsing session.

Chattymummyhere Wed 16-Dec-15 13:44:49

Say it's for a friends child. I've used that when I've had to pick up a present for my son with him with me, obviously I told the friend in advance incase he asked her.

dannydyerismydad Wed 16-Dec-15 13:50:33

Amazon is turning into the Easyjet of retailers.

DH's gift arrived yesterday with an address label on the item - no outer cardboard packaging. He opened the door to the courier sadApparently you need to request a cardboard box these days.

I'm all for saving on packaging, but a bit of warning would be nice.

kiwidreamer Wed 16-Dec-15 16:45:37

Argos delivered a doll house and Tracey Island play sets here the other day in just their boxes, I opened the door and clocked what it all was and promptly shut the door in the couriers face grin while I shouted 'let me sort the kids out', DH made sure they were out of the way and I hurried the --freaking massive-- boxes thru to the garage.

Really crappy, how hard is it to put a plastic bag around these things????

CakeNinja Wed 16-Dec-15 19:32:19

Mil bought fil a surprise kindle which arrived in an Amazon brown cardboard box covered in the words Amazon Kindle confused

TurnTheFarkingTellyOff Wed 16-Dec-15 19:53:42

I bought a collapsible washing up bowl (not as a Christmas present!) and it arrived not packaged at all. Just a label stuck on it.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 16-Dec-15 20:00:16

Amazin have a `hide order box` that doesnt show up in your list - unless you tick `show hidden orders` .... bit strange but does work for now
Problem is kids have my password for their kindle games and downloads. Wont be long before they suss it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now