Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find something for MIL

(28 Posts)
NapoleonsNose Sun 13-Dec-15 21:07:06

MIL, a young 72, likes golf, doesn't really watch TV, reads. Not sure what perfume she likes. Instructed not to buy bath type smellies. We have already bought a pretty scarf and need something else around the £20 mark. I'm losing the will to live and DH is being utterly hopeless. Any suggestions gratefully received!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 13-Dec-15 21:13:52

A jigsaw, box set of dvds can be picked up cheaply enough, something similar to this if she likes cooking/gardening, a voucher for something, make a photo album for her, a cheap mp3 player with her favourite music on it, an art set?

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 21:16:57

Slippers, restaurant, theatre or book vouchers, DVD box set, jewellery, posh Jo Malone candle, bird table, one of those bean bag bottomed lap trays, coffee pot thing for ground coffee for one ( of she's on her own), magazine subscription, national trust membership, tickets for a day out somewhere she'd love to go.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 21:17:32

Sorry didn't see £20 budget!

NapoleonsNose Sun 13-Dec-15 21:21:50

I don't think she'll watch a DVD box set. I like the herb garden, but FIL only likes bland food with no flavour whatsoever so I don't think she'd use it. She doesn't really cook, so cookery books and kitchen stuff is out. Got her vouchers for the local beauty salon/hairdressers for her birthday and last Christmas. She's bought FIL an MP3 player this year. She is seriously hard to buy for. In the past we've been told no books, no smellies, and no cluttery stuff and tbh, anything we do give is never really that gratefully received.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 13-Dec-15 21:24:24

Pyjamas? A cardigan? Foot spa? You could make a hamper of christmas nibbles? Get some festive scratch cards?

Elvish Sun 13-Dec-15 21:30:02

I've bought my MIL tickets for an RHS flower show.

If she's not going to like it anyway you may as well just buy something and not over think it. Bottles of wine or spirits?

Hufflepuffin Sun 13-Dec-15 21:39:06

Voucher for the local golf pro shop?

shadowfax07 Mon 14-Dec-15 00:48:04

If she plays golf, get her some golf balls, and some of those glasses that help you see the ball in the rough more easily.

www.amazon.co.uk/MKD-child-2255-Golf-Finder-Glasses/dp/B004KXWGJQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450053882&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+golf+glasses

I regularly buy my BIL Titleist golf balls, and they are gratefully received. He was a bit sceptical at first about the glasses, but was soon raving about them.

torthecatlady Mon 14-Dec-15 01:15:32

I second the golf balls - i think you can buy personalised ones which would be thoughtful.. Or does she like watching as opposed to playing?
Maybe a nice note book and pencils (ted baker and cath kidson have pretty ones) and add a note to say they're for the golf bag to help keep score?

Also, would she be the type of person to appreciate one of the Oxfam charity gifts? Eg. A goat, water for 10 people etc. I always like these, especially if you're struggling. They send a nice card and either a magnet or window sticker for the recipient.

insan1tyscartching Mon 14-Dec-15 05:45:25

Flowers are always my "difficult person gift" have had some lovely baskets delivered at Christmas time from Interflora.

ALongTimeComing Mon 14-Dec-15 05:53:54

If she's a golfer don't just buy random balls or tees. Golfers tend to have strong preferences about this. DH has many a wasted Christmas present because people just assume he's a golfer so would like random golf stuff! Find out what she plays with.

£20 might not go for but afternoon tea voucher? Your DH could take her?

sparkly72 Mon 14-Dec-15 05:56:17

M&s have some lovely soft leather gloves in all kinds of colours - bright or pastels... My mum who is 70 this weekend reckons you can't have enough pairs of lovely gloves smile

celestialgin Mon 14-Dec-15 06:20:16

Does she like gardening? What about vouchers for a lovely gardening centre?

florentina1 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:54:24

White Company Candle or diffuser.

KanyeWesticle Mon 14-Dec-15 11:21:24

National Trust membership?

SingaporeSlinky Mon 14-Dec-15 17:01:17

Slippers, gloves, golf gloves, ear muffs, cashmere socks, something from Cath Kidston.

BettyOctopus Mon 14-Dec-15 17:08:19

Colouring books and posh pencil crayons

Whatsername24 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:30:50

I have a MIL like yours. Very difficult to buy for and even when you think you've found the perfect gift for her, when she opens you just get a flat "Oh right".

I've given up put much thought into it now so this year she's getting some nice slippers and smellies.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 14-Dec-15 19:36:50

I would get her some trendy (under armour perhaps) thermals if she is a golfer. For that budget you might get a vest.

gBean Mon 14-Dec-15 19:39:33

My MIL same. And FIL. whatever we have bought over the years has been unappreciated. Now it's a bottle of whiskey and a big lump of cheese. Every year.

Viewofhedges Tue 15-Dec-15 17:14:18

Chocolate Baileys or similar?

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 15-Dec-15 18:19:32

Magazine subscription?

Sparkletastic Tue 15-Dec-15 18:21:23

Gin.

Always gin.

Chchchchangeabout Tue 15-Dec-15 18:29:50

Something disposable then - plant/flowers/food/booze

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now