Talk

Advanced search

Parents of 11 year olds, I need your wisdom.

(58 Posts)
SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 20:40:10

I have been tasked with buying a Christmas gift for an 11 year old girl in the family secret santa.

My girls are 20 and 24, so it has been some time since I have bought for this age range.

Said 11 year old girl (according to her mother, DH's cousin) is 'precocious' and 'not girly'. I have never met her - long story.

What on earth do 11 year old want these days? Mine were happy playing Snake on their Nokia 3310s at 11.

I'm clueless. £25 quid spend limit.

Many thanks.

Washediris Sun 13-Dec-15 21:00:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ontheginalready Sun 13-Dec-15 21:01:07

A lush gift set
Lego elves or lego friends
Lava lamp
Smiggle bag

SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 21:01:08

I literally have nothing else, and DH's family are not being forthcoming with help for me.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 21:01:50

If she's not 'girly' do you know what she 's into? My 12 yo dd is into clothes, hair, make up, going to Costa, Primark, new look, top shop. Her list is full of make up, clothes and baking things! My DN is also 12 but just wears black, is into football and refuses to wear make up!! None of this probably helps! Costa seems the 'in' place for overpriced nonsense so you could maybe but one of their overpriced use again thermal coffee cup things (standard and Xmas ones) and a voucher, a voucher for Dominoes/Greggs (Ds's wish list!) or game if she's into gaming. I tunes or Amazon voucher. Xmas pjs? Primark have some lovely ones in at the moment and I buy dd the ladies size 6. Baking or cooking sets/books. Cinema vouchers. The new Zoella (you tuber) book is out but she's into make up and hair - maybe there is another you tuber that she's into?

SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 21:01:59

What is a smiggle bag?

GlacindaTheTroll Sun 13-Dec-15 21:05:04

forbiddenplanet.com/130075-doctor-who-t-shirts-christmas-sweater-skinny-fit-red-white-on-blue-t-shirt/

Doctor Who Christmas T shirt?

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 21:05:32

Oh yes! Forgot about Lush! How could I? My bedroom stinks of all the lush bath bombs n stuff that are stashed away. She must know she 's getting bath bombs!! But I don't know what a smiggle bag is either!

Toomuch2young Sun 13-Dec-15 21:05:50

Gosh what little to go on. But strange of her DM just describing her in that wayconfused.
Books - Michael morpurgo is popular with that age group. Or Guinness record type may be good?
Grown up style colouring book and nice pencils.
Minecraft things.
iTunes voucher and chocs.

SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 21:06:06

The long story alluded to in my OP is that DH's cousin has only just had her paternity confirmed, and hasn't met the majority of the family yet. DH and I haven't met her, neither have PIL etc. She's only met her father (DH's uncle) and we are using Christmas as the time to welcome her into our family.

I have literally no ideas as to what she might like, or is in to, how developed she is. Everything I do know is Chinese whispers through MIL.

I really want to make them feel welcomed into our family though.

annandale Sun 13-Dec-15 21:06:24

What a hideously difficult secret santa shock

I wouldn't go for Harry Potter personally, many 11 year olds have done and dusted HP and would consider it to be for younger children!

11 is a good age for vouchers IMO.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Dec-15 21:08:49

But soft fluffy luxurious throw for snuggling under to watch TV? We all
have one and love them! Adidas/holllister hoody (only if in the Hollister sake of course). Perfume? Loads marketed at that age group.

Twooter Sun 13-Dec-15 21:11:44

A nerf bow and arrow set?

SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 21:12:18

How about a name your own perfume laboratory? Or is that too young? I remember DD1 having one, but I don't know how old she was.

cowmop Sun 13-Dec-15 21:16:41

My dd is just 12, a voucher would go down really well with her. We got her one for afternoon tea for two for her birthday, which she really enjoyed. As part of her Christmas present she has some decent felt tips and a grown up colouring book. You could add a nice sketch pad and pencils or a book token to make a bundle. Another option is a movie hamper - a cinema voucher, popcorn, sweets, pop etc or a pamper hamper, dd would love this and see it as a "grown up" present, but she is quite girly.

Allgunsblazing Sun 13-Dec-15 21:19:05

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelly.
Onesie.
Chocolate.
HTH

ontheginalready Sun 13-Dec-15 21:19:42

Smiggle is a stationary shop. They sell all kinds of stuff which has a specific look: www.smiggle.co.uk/shop/en/smiggleuk It is on the list for my ds' friend's 11th birthday.

AliMonkey Sun 13-Dec-15 21:20:29

Smiggle is a shop that age group is really into in my experience - I have a nearly 11 year old. Popular with boys and girls so might be good if a non-girly girl. Bags, stationery, key rings etc. Most bags there will be over your budget but stuff there from about £2 up. Just google it.

Compilation CD such as the latest Now as enough variety that she's likely to be into at least some of it? Add some chocolate as rare that won't go down well!

starry0ne Sun 13-Dec-15 21:20:55

I have an 8 year old boy so no help...I really don't envy your position...

Good luck

DragonsCanHop Sun 13-Dec-15 21:21:05

DD is having the new 1 direction perfume
Zoella perfume
Zoella's book
lush bath bombs
snuggly fleece blanket (1/2 price in suoerdrug)
£10 Costa voucher
Doh vinci set
Wreck it journal

TheWanderingUterus Sun 13-Dec-15 21:21:10

I'd probably get a mixture of bits if you are spending £25. Things like a book, bath bomb, patterned/glittery socks, small box of nice chocolates or jelly beans, a fun tshirt, a funky lipgloss, a cool coin purse etc. Then you cover all bases and there will be definitely something there she will like.

LynetteScavo Sun 13-Dec-15 21:21:17

Some trendy pjs and a dressing gown?

Nice stationary? 11yo girls can never have enough pens....

A nerf gun/ bow and arrow?

A lava lamp?

Some funky lights?

SoWhite Sun 13-Dec-15 21:22:11

I did think of a onesie but I've no idea what size she is.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 13-Dec-15 21:23:04

I have an almost 12yo and she would like the same things as cowmop

She likes New Look or H&M for clothes - a voucher for either of these shops and a tea shop lunch and she'd be happy.

annandale Sun 13-Dec-15 21:23:45

Most clothes for 11 year olds are done in ages so that shouldn't be a problem, but keep the receipt and give it to her parents maybe?

I think a lava lamp is a really good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now