Talk

Advanced search

What do you eat Christmas Eve?

(64 Posts)
OldJoseph Sun 13-Dec-15 19:17:04

I'm looking for inspiration for a Christmas Eve meal. I've asked the family and they've not helped.

I'll be busy prepping for Christmas Day so it can't be too time consuming. Ideally fairly light and not using anything we'll eat on Christmas Day.

Happy to go for something convenient.

LittleFishBigOcean Sun 13-Dec-15 19:18:59

It is tradition for us to have supermarket party food. Quite often M&S. DP works til tea time so we want something quick and easy.

ElasticPants Sun 13-Dec-15 19:20:20

Fish and chips bought on the way home from the panto here. Zero cooking and leaves my kitchen clean for prepping.

FlopIsMyChristmasGuru Sun 13-Dec-15 19:22:44

Sausages mash and peas
Use bought made up mash as I'm busy enough on Christmas eve

macnab Sun 13-Dec-15 19:22:49

We are getting an Indian takeaway!

LazySusan11 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:28:59

Salmon and steamed veg with sweet potato. A vain attempt at healthy before the Christmas Day piggery

OldJoseph Sun 13-Dec-15 19:29:29

Thanks for your ideas, can't be sausages as we'll have them Christmas Day. Chip supper has crossed my mind but it's quite filling, takeaway also filling and will repeat into Christmas Day. MIL does a fish pie but that's time consuming.

I suppose I'm thinking something veggie since CHristmas and Boxing are a bit of a meat feast.

OldJoseph Sun 13-Dec-15 19:31:06

Ah, yes perhaps salmon...

MrsWembley Sun 13-Dec-15 19:31:23

I've just been through our books for something quick, easy and familiar - nothing worse than picking something new, then finding out that it takes three times as long to cook as it says and tastes rank!

So think about what you love but don't usually have on grounds of health, cost or social standing...wink

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:32:37

Chilli con carne which I'm making next week and freezing.

bigbadbarry Sun 13-Dec-15 19:33:39

Always fish - sometimes a whole salmon or a fish pie (which can be made ahead and frozen). If I didn't have to feed carnivores I'd do a stuffed butternut squash but that takes a good hour in the oven.

drspouse Sun 13-Dec-15 19:34:53

We have a parmesan crusted fish dish from a Delia book (fish is traditional in a lot of places for Christmas Eve) and rice pudding (Scandinavian tradition).
However we love Mexican food and I'm considering learning to make tamales, which are the traditional food there.

Shockers Sun 13-Dec-15 19:37:02

We always go out. This year we will be in an independent pizza restaurant in Lancaster getting merry on Prosecco with two other families.

FannyFifer Sun 13-Dec-15 19:40:11

We usually just have a buffet tea, nice snacks, nibbles & drinks. grin

MistyMeena Sun 13-Dec-15 19:40:43

Chocolate, mostly.

BumgrapesofWrath Sun 13-Dec-15 19:45:13

Chinese takeaway

Kim82 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:47:36

We usually have a buffet at my mum's house but she's not up to doing it this year so we'll be getting a takeaway with the kids and watching Santa Claus The Movie with a couple of glasses of wine.

Floppityflop Sun 13-Dec-15 19:47:36

Best to have not too much food to leave more room for the following day. Why not just skip supper? If necessary, have cheese and crackers.

Blueberry234 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:53:16

We will be having mushroom soup with sourdough with side of cheese

Marmite27 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:56:03

Slow cooked ham, new potatoes, and peas/cabbage.

The joint then does for nice sandwiches for a few days as we eat lunch out.

We just do a really easy picky meal -
bread rolls
veggie sausage rolls
cheeseboard
grapes
pickles
salad
mince pies and cream

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 13-Dec-15 20:04:55

We always have vegetarian grills (DH and I) fish fingers for the DC, chips,
This year we have family s I'll do fish for those who want (or grills)

Usually trifle but there's limited room in the fridge so I'll do apple pie (cook earlier in the day or day before) with ice-cream and a baked cheesecake.

We do a late night buffet of pies,sandwiches,crisps,salsa,dips.
Christmas Cake (otherwise it;ll sit there and no-one will eat it)

Meal skipping not an option, DDad is diabetic but he doesn't eat heavy rich food.

GoneAndDone Sun 13-Dec-15 20:07:11

Always M&S party food, crudites and nice dips.

OldJoseph Sun 13-Dec-15 20:11:11

Thanks for all your messages. Looks like it's going to be a salmon / noodles type meal.

Psychmumma Sun 13-Dec-15 20:12:32

We're going to do some 70's stylee cheese fondue-ing Christmas Eve! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now