Talk

Advanced search

present for a couple who sail?

(8 Posts)
MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 13-Dec-15 12:27:28

Couple have bought a (old and battered) yacht, I have a budget of £40-£50, and know nothing about boats. Am happy to get vouchers for somewhere which sells boat stuff, but as far as I know, these kind of places tend to be local, so I'd need to know specific shops, which makes things tricker.

Anything that all boat people would like to get/need? If MN fails me, I'm planning to origami fold cash into a boat and sails, and put it into a nice gift box, but ideally I'd like to get a thing to unwrap.

Help?

ClaraLane Sun 13-Dec-15 12:31:58

Off the top of my head these are the things I needed when I sailed:
Sailing gloves - can be bought for around £10 a pair and it's always good to have spares
Sailing watch - I needed one because I raced so it helped me with my timings
Lifejacket - thankfully I borrowed one because they can be quite pricey
Warm clothes - normally thin layers as the weather changes often
Thermos flask for hot drinks in between races/throughout the day

Any of those any help? If not, let me know roughly where they live and I'll have a look for a shop nearby.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 13-Dec-15 12:40:30

thanks Clara - they're Southampton way, so if you can recommend anywhere i might get a voucher, that would be great smile.

It's not a racing yacht, it's a 6 berth spending a weekend/holiday in kind of boat, so racing gear is out. I do like the sound of gloves though - what would be good brands? They're the kind of people who would rather save till they get the best (as in best value) of something, so it does need to be right if I get a "thing".

ClaraLane Sun 13-Dec-15 21:48:42

There's a couple of branches of a shop called Force 4 Chandlery down that way according to Google so you could get them a voucher for there? Alternatively you could buy a few things for them to use on the boat, eg cushions/mugs/crockery - maybe ask if there's a colour scheme or theme they're going with?

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Sun 13-Dec-15 22:07:17

Force 4 is a decent place and an old battered yacht is going to be a money pit so there are bound to be things they need. Things I have bought my parents over the years include
- life jacket
- charts
- boat hook
- collapsible bucket
- some varnish
- name boards
- non-marking sole wellies

trinitybleu Sun 13-Dec-15 22:07:17

Depends on what sort of stuff they need - there's not really one chandler for everything, frustratingly. Force 4 can be a bit chintzy, rather than practical stuff. There's also Mailspeed Marine who are pretty good. Jimmy Green Marine for ropes. DH mainly trails eBay for hours for stuff for our yacht.

Otherwise, if they are new to sailing you could look into vouchers for a RYA course (VHF radio or Day Skipper) or things like a waterproof, floating grab bag, lifejackets, a subscription to Practical Boat Owner or something more frivilous like a bbq you fit to the push pit rail.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sun 13-Dec-15 22:14:48

Brilliant, loads of ideas here, thanks so much! I knew I could rely on MN for something niche wink

Rivercam Sun 13-Dec-15 22:29:50

Ocean leisure - near Charing Cross station, London
Musto outlet store, Ashford, Kent

Wetsuit outlet
Sailboat. Co.uk
M and m direct - helly Hanson, crew clothing company clothes

Brands:
Musto
Henri Lloyd
Gill

Gloves
Books
Clothes
Compass
Sailing rules of the sea book

Magazine subscription is a good idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now