Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a cricket mad 9 year old pretty please!

(13 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Sat 12-Dec-15 11:32:10

Ds2 has all the equipment so I'm really looking for books or magazines etc.

There seem to be loads of football annuals etc aimed at this age but all the cricket ones are very wordy and a bit dry.

Any ideas please?

AuntieStella Sat 12-Dec-15 11:50:28

Start his collection of Wisden.

You may as well, as you'll have to do it one day.

chickenstylepieces Sat 12-Dec-15 11:54:06

I don't know what to suggest. You are right cricket isn't catered for as much as football is. I can imagine crickets books and dvds maybe a bit dull aswell even for a cricket fan. Maybe try and get him a tour or training session with the local cricket club or something?

wineoclockthanks Sat 12-Dec-15 12:28:42

Thanks for replying.

We have the Young Wisden book from 2011 which I think he can recite word perfectly it's been read so often! But there doesn't seem to be a more recent one.

I'm a bit concerned the 'real' one maybe a bit wordy and put him off but I will have a look, thanks.

It's such a shame there doesn't seem to be more aimed at the Juniors, we've been on the tour of Lords and the Oval and the guides there were great with the kids.

I'll keep looking!

littlenicky61 Sat 12-Dec-15 12:47:26

what about these books ? -

www.theworks.co.uk/p/cricket/complete-history-of-world-cup-cricket/9781742575070

www.whsmith.co.uk/products/playfair-cricket-annual/9781472212184

not sure how wordy they are though

wineoclockthanks Sat 12-Dec-15 13:13:24

Oh, I like the World Cup book, great suggestion thanks.
The play fair one is very wordy though.

Davros Sat 12-Dec-15 13:55:05

Audiobooks of cricketer's books? KP had one out recently I think. The Lord's shop has lots of interesting stuff. 20:20 shirt? Anything from the IPL?

Davros Sat 12-Dec-15 13:55:47

Just remembered you can have afternoon tea at Lord's, that might be fun

SnowMuchToBits Sat 12-Dec-15 13:59:53

www.amazon.co.uk/Glory-Gardens-In-The-Cup/dp/0099461110

This is the first in a series of books about a kids' cricket club. My ds loved them at that age, and they are the right sort of level to read, I would think.

Susiesue61 Sat 12-Dec-15 14:00:40

I got DD an RCB shirt and Ds1 is getting Joe Root's book, but he is 16. We have a couple of cricket funnies DVDs, one is Monty Panesar, and mine all love watching highlights videos.

averythinline Thu 17-Dec-15 16:07:19

www.amazon.co.uk/Owzthat-traditional-Cricket-game-weathers/dp/B0006GVMYQ
this has been a very popular travel game with ds and every one I've bought it for since [smil]
and going to try this one just cos found it cheap at a local shop..
www.google.co.uk/search?q=stumps+cricket+game&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Ad1yVuyiAob1Ute9u9AH

I also found an xbox game based on the ashes so a bit old but has worked well
he really enjoyed that book series as well/....

notmynameohno Thu 17-Dec-15 16:10:15

Agree the Glory Gardens books are excellent for that age.
A crazy catch rebound net for the garden if he hasn't got one is fab.

Greenteandchives Thu 17-Dec-15 16:31:47

My son used to have a table top game called World Cup Cricket, which was like cricket subbuteo, with little figures and a round green baize mat. He had a lot of fun with it. Not sure if it is still available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now