Talk

Advanced search

Come talk to me about coffee machines??

(15 Posts)
Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Fri 11-Dec-15 18:17:53

I'm not a coffee drinker, sadly it makes me ill so I can't drink it so I have no idea about coffee. I have a new boyfriend/partner who likes freshly ground coffee, so I would like to buy him a coffee machine to keep at my house ( as he isn't keen on the instant stuff that I serve him ). Can anyone point me in the right direction as there seems to be lots of machines and the ones which take pods, I have no idea what I am looking for, what's best but not too expensive?

MTWTFSS Fri 11-Dec-15 18:26:04

I would not get the one with the pods.

www.johnlewis.com/bodum-travel-press-coffee-maker-set-black/p450068

I like the one above smile

toffeeboffin Fri 11-Dec-15 18:57:10

Why dont you get him a Bodum?

All you need is of hot water, ground coffee, about 3 quid a bag and this

toffeeboffin Fri 11-Dec-15 18:57:27

www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-1928-16-Chambord-Coffee-Maker/dp/B00008XEWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1449860189&sr=1-2&keywords=bodum+amazon

Link fail

toffeeboffin Fri 11-Dec-15 18:58:08

www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-1928-16-Chambord-Coffee-Maker/dp/B00008XEWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1449860267&sr=1-2&keywords=bodum+amazon

UK site - sorry

NorbertDentressangle Fri 11-Dec-15 19:07:47

What's your budget and what sort of coffee does he like? (eg, espresso, latte, white but with cold milk?)

Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Fri 11-Dec-15 19:47:42

Maybe I should ask him? I don't want to spend a fortune, it's a new relationship but I feel I should get him something and the fact he moans when I give him instant coffee made me think of getting him something coffee related so he can have a decent cup of coffee when he stays over.

The bodum might be perfect.

PolterGoose Fri 11-Dec-15 20:30:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSkiingGardener Fri 11-Dec-15 20:37:49

Normally I'd leap in with Nespresso enthusiasm but given your description I'd get the recommendations above. You need something easy without a lot of ongoing cost.

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 11-Dec-15 20:46:17

I bought a Tassimo Vivy today, a bargain reduced from £99 to £33 in Currys, it is a pod one and I now have a Costa Latte for 60p rather than £2.50!

VenusRising Fri 11-Dec-15 21:00:26

Maybe he could buy his own?
He sounds a bit grumpy to me... I'm not sure I'd put up with a new bf who moans at what I have?

I wonder does he bark, jump up on you with muddy feet, turn around and around on the sofa and try and lick your face?
I think you may need to train him a bit to take what you're offering and be grateful!

But then I whistle to my DH if I want him grin

We have a cheap filter machine from Argos. Cost a tenner and makes a decent cup, with ground coffee beans from IKEA. Runs very inexpensively per pot (3p I think).

I do think he should buy what he wants and stop moaning though.

PeasOnEarth Fri 11-Dec-15 21:03:13

They make very reasonable coffee bags - available in all the supermarkets. Not a bad 'half way house' and my work staple these days <misses point of thread>.

Whatsername24 Fri 11-Dec-15 21:10:18

I'd go with the Bodum too, or a cheap filter machine. I recently bought a DeLonghi for around £30 and it's wonderful. That was to replace a pod machine, a Senseo, which I bought because I drink a lot of coffee and it was so quick and easy. Cheap too because Lidl's own pods fitted and worked out at 9p per cup but after a couple of years of using them (and they apparently sold very well) they were discontinued. The actual Senseo pods weren't anywhere near as good and were much more expensive too.

Pasanna Fri 11-Dec-15 22:12:33

We've got a beans to cup, but I still make cafetière coffee in the mornings. I would get one of those ( the plunger ones), and if he's really fussy get a cheap coffee bean grinder, or you could get a stove top espresso maker

munkisocks Sat 12-Dec-15 21:33:32

What about a hot water dispenser or a tassimo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now