Talk

Advanced search

Cheap presents that look big

(18 Posts)
CatBlaster Fri 11-Dec-15 13:59:26

You lot are good at this...

I'm looking for some presents that look big under the tree as our kids' main present has used up most of the budget on one thing (games console).

For two boys, 10 and 8. Any thoughts?

BrianButterfield Fri 11-Dec-15 14:02:07

Blow up chair/beanbags for their bedrooms?
Rolled up posters are big.
Those boxes of 100 different pens and pencils.

FrozenPonds Fri 11-Dec-15 14:06:31

Board games, Nerf guns, sports gear (badminton set, football, helmet..).

Is the younger one still into Playmobil? Their boxes are insanely big. We have a pizza guy and his delivery van this year grin.

NotCitrus Fri 11-Dec-15 14:11:25

Pool noodles, pound shop racquets and balls or those discs with velcro to catch balls. Lamp? Jigsaw? Screwball scramble?

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Fri 11-Dec-15 14:18:26

Blankets, cushions, beanbags are all good. My oldest brother used to get a massive box then individually wrap a load of cheap tat and throw it all in with packing peanuts. Our younger brother loved it!

Nearlyadoctor Fri 11-Dec-15 14:18:29

M&S and Halfords both had remote controlled cars in big boxes half price £17.50 I think.
Otherwise I second Playmobil for the youngest.
Board games - Rummikub, Othello, Cluedo.

Donge13 Fri 11-Dec-15 14:28:13

Board games
Colouring sets
Play doh set
Annuals
Novelty slippers

CatBlaster Fri 11-Dec-15 15:55:35

oh these are brilliant thank you!

I just remembered selection boxes too smile

ChinaSorrows Fri 11-Dec-15 15:57:55

Find lots of bigger boxes and turn the games console into the centre of "Russian dolls"

You can usually get boxes for free in supermarkets

traviata Fri 11-Dec-15 16:01:19

marble run? maybe off ebay

pjs, dressing gowns, fleece blankets

footballs, goals

Viewofhedges Sat 12-Dec-15 09:15:21

Wilkinsons does fake Lego which is really good and really cheap ( T. rex for 3 quid anyone) and boxes are big. Apparently it's compatible with real Lego too.

whitelisbon Sat 12-Dec-15 09:19:08

Smyths have a game thing with table football, air hockey, and various other games all built in for £16 ish, and the box is huuuuuuuuge.
Arts and crafts sets too - those huge sets of pens and pencils. Look fab under the tree but once out of the packaging they're easy to store.

metimeisforwimps Sat 12-Dec-15 09:19:22

Have a look on The Works online shop. Great for craft and construction toys which are quite bulky and very good prices!

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 12-Dec-15 09:21:57

I went to £ land and got boxes of Poptarts, pots of luck charms and some bags of Haribo to make a small hamper for each of my boys, I just covered a cardboard box in wrapping paper and put shredded nap or in the bottom so I didn't even have to buy a basket or anything.

I've also got them some emoji cushions that were £5 from Amazon they're big enough to bulk the pile up and they can have them on their beds and throw them at each other.

Leviticus Sat 12-Dec-15 09:24:52

Mine are younger than yours but have space hoppers this year - mainly to bulk up the size of the pile.

superbfairywren Sat 12-Dec-15 15:04:34

Wilkos fake lego looks amazing and so cheap!

BikeRunSki Sat 12-Dec-15 15:14:26

YY to fake Wilko fake Lego. Definitely compatible with the genuine stuff.

Needaglassofwinedotcom Sat 12-Dec-15 15:27:17

F

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now