Talk

Advanced search

Help! the panic has set in

(7 Posts)
LazySusan11 Fri 11-Dec-15 13:09:09

I am hosting Christmas this year for the 1st time for 6 of us. I am a horrible perfectionist and I am starting to panic that I'm not prepared at all.

Because of the type of job I have I am away from home a lot and once home I will have 9 days to organise spare rooms, clean, shop for the Christmas food I haven't already ordered, plan meals for Christmas week except obviously Christmas Day wrap presents and get festive. I get anxious because of my weird need for everything to be perfect because I want it to be amazing for everyone else which is completely irrational I know. I really want to relax and enjoy not drive myself and our guests nuts with my OCD!!

Can anyone help me break down the tasks I need to do so I can get over myself!!

allisbrightandshiney Fri 11-Dec-15 13:20:58

Ooh that sounds like a great challenge.
I would wrote very specific lists so you know what u should be doing on each day. Also ticking them off will feel great.

I think 9 days is plenty.

How long are your guests staying with you?

cookiefiend Fri 11-Dec-15 13:48:06

I agree 9 days is loads of you plan it out now. Whenever you have a quiet minutes. Plan what you are serving when, bookmark reviews online, write a shopping list. Wrap a little each evening in front of a trashy Christmas film. You will get it done.

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 11-Dec-15 14:28:03

You know, Christmas will not be amazing for your family and guests and you are all worked up over everything being perfect. It is a recipe for a great deal of stress. Christmas is supposed to be fun and relaxing. O do understand, I used to be like you but have learned to relax into it and I am so glad I did, It is my Christmas too and I want to enjoy it and nobody will ever think they had a rubbish time if the crackers looked a bit wonky on the table or the gravy is a little to thick. 9 days is plenty, lists are the way to go, and try to relax a little or people will pick up on your anxiety and feel awkward. Easier said than done I know.

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 11-Dec-15 14:28:42

Excuse the typos - see I am chilled!

LazySusan11 Sun 13-Dec-15 09:01:18

Thanks for the replies, I'm making lists. Wish everyone would cancel I don't feel at all in the Christmas mood. confused

Twinklefuck Sun 13-Dec-15 09:49:05

I have a big list of tasks, including planning the menu (will leave a whole night for that), I set a date for each to be completed by and just blast through, if I can make the next nights load a little lighter I will.

Set a time to do something for you too, read, do a facial, bake, just something that you enjoy. You've got loads of time so breathe, boil the kettle and grab a pen. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now