Talk

Advanced search

Sylvanian Families advice please

(18 Posts)
Stokey Fri 11-Dec-15 12:36:17

DD1 age 6 has just put Sylvanian Families on a Santa letter NEVER having mentioned them before.

We don't have anything from them, where do I start? Or at 6 is she a bit too old for them? I thought I'd finished Christmas, she's already getting a scooter, a playmobil Take along pony stable, Labyrinth & some stocking bits. I'm not sure whether to indulge her & ditch the stable (it's already wrapped though) or start her off on more tiny toys to clutter up our house. WWYD wise Christmas elves?

Olecranon Fri 11-Dec-15 12:43:34

Go for it. I have bought my daughter the camper van and hedgehog family. Sylvanians were reduced on John Lewis website earlier this week and Amazon have had a few good deals recently. I always wanted them myself when I was little.

bialystockandbloom Fri 11-Dec-15 12:49:57

I unashamedly love Sylvanians. My dd is 6yo too and has a few sets - favourites are the bakery and ice cream cart. She has the camper van/trailer too but doesn't play with that so much. She's getting a sweetshop for Christmas, it was about £14 I think. I think there's a good year or so left in them, at least. I love the quality and detail too.

Maybe get a small piece like the sweetshop/ice cream cart, and one family (e.g. parents, two children and a baby).

SauvignonBlanche Fri 11-Dec-15 12:51:55

She's not too old! DD played with hers until she was about 12.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 11-Dec-15 12:53:36

You've reminded me she is looking to sell hers, I guess we've left it too late for this Christmas now?

Nearlyadoctor Fri 11-Dec-15 13:30:37

It's not too old but personally I would stick with the Playmobil. We bought SF for DD when she was about 5 ( for some reason Playmobil wasn't on our radar at this time). We have loads of it but it has never really captured her imagination, too fiddly I think. Then last year she asked for Playmobil small pony farm (age7.5) and it has been played with soooooo much. I also bought the hotel.
This year she has had the pony advent calendar and funnily enough I have taken back the take along stable and ordered the large pony farm only this morning while it's on offer (John Lewis / Amazon price match). She really wants it but wanted a new micro scooter and Lego elves castle more so will be surprised and thrilled.
I also bought the camper the other day but am keeping that for her birthday in June as it was too bargainous to miss.
We are now planning on selling all her Sylvanians before next year - with the possible exception of the caravan and car which have been the biggest hits. We have the farmhouse, ice cream van, cedar terrace, bakery etc etc etc.

Why is Playmobil preferable? I think it's just more robust and less fiddly although there are also v small parts. I certainly don't think it's the pony theme as we have real horses and she couldn't be less interested in them if she tried....

Partybugs Fri 11-Dec-15 15:10:40

We've got dd the starter house and a family of rabbits

Heavenscent86 Fri 11-Dec-15 17:22:42

Try smyths toys as well. I got a really good deal off there for my daughter. She is 8 and only just getting sylvanians.

Stokey Sat 12-Dec-15 07:56:17

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll keep an eye out for offers.

Have got DD2 age 3.8 so hopefully they'll both play with them.

Catzpyjamas Sat 12-Dec-15 08:08:02

I bought some great deals on Sylvanian families on eBay for DD when she was 5/6. Second hand houses, shops and hotel meant I didn't have to build them and put all the annoyingly tiny stickers on. Second hand animals can be a bit scruffy though.
The shops are great to play with! I enjoy sorting the stock in the grocer's...

CakeNinja Sat 12-Dec-15 08:13:35

My dc never got into playmobil but loved their sylvanians.
Dds are now 10 and 11, and while don't play with it if it's just them anymore, when their younger cousins come round, that huge box keeps them all quiet for hours.

jamtartandcustard Sat 12-Dec-15 10:23:34

I used to love sylvanian families. Was gutted that dd was never interested as I had hoped to rekindle my love of them!
6 is def not too young

SavoyCabbage Sat 12-Dec-15 10:37:02

She's definitely not too old. They have very small fiddly pieces. My dd was nine when she started playing with them.

cantgonofurther Sat 12-Dec-15 11:19:04

6 is a good age for them. My dd played with them up to 12. I have a 3 year old and saving them for when she is 5 or 6.

Stokey Sun 13-Dec-15 07:42:00

I think I'm going to go for it and get her a place & a family. I may save theplaymobil stable & give it to Dd2 for her 4th birthday which is in a few months. I saw the Treehouse for £35, would that be good with a family? Or the nursery, think that was £18. Thanks again, very helpful. I had a brother growing up and we just played with Star Wars!

Heavenscent86 Sun 13-Dec-15 08:20:23

I think i would go for the treehouse but do check if you need to get any furniture sets to go with it.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 13-Dec-15 08:24:17

6 is a lovely age for it. My DD is 6 now and has asked for more for Christmas. She got hers too early, at 4. Grandma got her the hotel and a family for her birthday, which she loved. Then, 6 months later it was Christmas. Everyone in the extended family bought sylvanians. After about the third present, she came to me and cried. 'I've just got too many Convanians (sic) to look after now. I'll never manage it, mummy!'.

I put most of it away till she was 5. Cheap Christmas last year!

MARGUERITE18 Mon 14-Dec-15 00:47:21

I have some which I am selling if you are interested?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now