Talk

Advanced search

pre-teen dvd ideas

(41 Posts)
shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 10-Dec-15 21:02:20

Traditional dictates that they get a dvd in their stocking. Ds would like the Minion movie but struggling for the girls. They are 10 and 8, don't particularly want to go over a PG but might consider a 12A depending on why a 12 iykwim. Ds (6) will probably will end up seeing it.

Things that they like-
Real actors rather than animation,
Action/ adventure - Harry Potter, Narnia, weren't as keen on Percy Jackson.
Comedy - love Mr Bean, Home Alone.
Dd1 has recently discovered her tragic side so something thought provoking might go down well but no animals dying.
Doesn't have to be newly released, wondered about The Truman show, they do watch quite a few old films on TV. Any suggestions?

recklessgran Thu 10-Dec-15 22:59:43

Matilda or The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas or other old classics like Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music although I appreciate they may well already have these.

janaus Fri 11-Dec-15 03:24:48

I love buying my Grandchildren, movies that were before their time. Popular ones have been ... Gremlins, Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies, Karate Kid, the Beethoven dog movies, Back to the Future, the 3 movies.

insan1tyscartching Fri 11-Dec-15 05:42:08

Disney Descendents and the Percy Jackson movies have been enjoyed by dd. Annie, Oliver Twist, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original) she watches everyChristmas.

yakari Fri 11-Dec-15 05:50:41

Guardians of the Galaxy for the soundtrack
ET or ghostbusters as 80s classics or go back to musicals like west side story or King and I
If they are 'princessy' then the real life Cinderella or Malificant

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 11-Dec-15 05:54:34

They have watched quite a few of these and have some on dvd.

They haven't watched the boy in the striped pyjamas although dd1 has read the book. I think that dd2 would cope with it but not sure how appropriate for ds. He manages Harry Potter (1&2) with no problem and is aware of WW2 and holocaust. We do usually watch things altogether and he wouldn't like being left out. He enjoyed the Hobbit (book) but that is also a 12 film so we haven't watched it.

I wonder whether I would be better getting something from the past year or two which they haven't seen but they all seem to be animated. They love traps and slapstick.

FauxFox Fri 11-Dec-15 05:56:28

Bugsy Malone for an oldie
Pan is amazing if it's out on dvd yet
Nim's Island was good and fits the adventurous bill

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 11-Dec-15 06:02:59

Ghostbusters might go down well. They saw Malificent but now they are all Land of Stories obsessed and not sure a different version would go down as well. None of them are particularly princessey.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 11-Dec-15 06:06:42

Thanks for this thread, OP...I was having the same dilemma...hadn't thought about Ghostbusters. (have never seen it, despite being very much a teen of the 80s myself!)

Dd quite likes a disaster movie (odd girl grin) so has enjoyed Poseidon, Armageddon (as long as she shuts her eyes when any snogging occurs) etc.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 11-Dec-15 06:19:07

I wonder about Jumanji (??sp), they might like that and maybe not too bad for ds. I was surprised to see that Dead Poets Society is only a PG. I am sure dd1 would love it, not sure if appropriate for ds. They enjoyed Bill and Ted's excellent adventure too.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 11-Dec-15 06:26:37

Dd liked Jumanji. I thought it was madbonkers, but she enjoyed it.

DPS is my most favourite film of all time. Not sure dd would be ready for suicide in the woods yet...(despite loving people being blown up by meteorites or planes crashing...)

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 11-Dec-15 06:42:53

I know, I was surprised it was only a PG. I think dd might be ok but not sure about the others. Another year or two I think.

lifeissobusy Fri 11-Dec-15 07:09:07

Never ending story! Fantastic movie, DD watched it and lent it to all her friends she was that taken with it!

CremeBrulee Fri 11-Dec-15 07:17:56

How about the Nanny McPhee movies? Both my DC like these, DD13 was watching one with her little brother the day and laughing like a drain.

Other suggestions for DDs collection:

Sky High
St Trinians (old b&w and the newer ones)
Nancy Drew
Ice Princess
Sleepover
Legally Blonde
Titanic
Little Women ( but must be June Allyson 1940s version)
Pride & Prejudice BBC series

Tink06 Fri 11-Dec-15 07:23:53

My kids never tire of Home Alone (even 15 n 16) year olds. I bet you could get the box set quite cheaply. They all love Wild Child - fab film and Parent Trap.
Dd9 loves Dolphin Tale, Beverly Hills Chihauhau.

thequickbrownfox Fri 11-Dec-15 07:25:42

In this house they're loving real life films too - there are so few decent/appropriate contemporary ones around so we watch older films quite a bit: Labyrinth, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Harry and the Hendersons, Home Alone... Haven't got the Never Ending Story so I will order that on eBay today!

harryhausen Fri 11-Dec-15 07:32:02

My dcs are 11 and 8, they have quite 'mature' tastes but here's what they've enjoyed.

The Goonies
The Hobbit
Malicifent
Gullivers Travels (Jack Black)
Bugsy Malone (sing a long version)
Spiderman
Billy Elliot (for eldest dd under supervision with me having warned her about all the swearing which is not to be repeated!)
All the Harry Potters
Harry and the Hendersons
Edward Scissorhands

There's plenty more - we're a very filmy family - but those are off the top of my head. I'll pop back.

thequickbrownfox Fri 11-Dec-15 07:36:19

Having looked for it and seen the cover I realise we DO have it, but it's hidden in the bookcase as was too frightening for DD the first time I tried to show it to her! Definitely time to bring it out now though I'd say.

spub Fri 11-Dec-15 07:57:39

Stardust is good. One of those that has jokes for the adults that the kids won't notice smile
Robert De Nero always great. It's a PG romp with lots of well known faces doing small parts.

AuntieStella Fri 11-Dec-15 08:01:20

Jonny English and Jonny English Reborn (much preferred to Mr Bean, here)

Turquoisetamborine Fri 11-Dec-15 08:02:01

My seven year old boy loves the Wimpy Kid films. I like them too. He loved Guardians of the Galaxy too.

Whataname Fri 11-Dec-15 08:03:34

Flubber? A PG, quite slapsticky, but pretty safe even for ds I would think.

Turquoisetamborine Fri 11-Dec-15 08:03:45

My boy would definitely not be ok watching The boy in the striped pyjamas! It's harrowing.

GladiatorsInSuits Fri 11-Dec-15 08:13:12

DSD loved Legally Blonde and Back to the Future

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 11-Dec-15 09:29:34

I got the Home Alone boxed set last Christmas for £4.99 on a lightning deal or something. Superb. All time favourites in our house. We've already watched the second one twice this season!

Some great ideas on here, thanks for the thread OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now