Talk

Advanced search

Help me plan a boxing day menu I can make when I'm hungover/getting tipsy again

(8 Posts)
FabFlo Wed 09-Dec-15 22:14:15

I need an easy boxing day menu. Will be entertaining but will a strange state of being hungover from Christmas day in the morning and in the afternoon (when the food is beinng served) I will have just returned from a few (ahem!) drinks at our local.

Want to make as much as possible in advance and maybe freeze if possible.

Don't want to spend hours faffing with the oven in the afternoon but am happy to cook (hangover permitting) in the morning.

The only definite thing atm is that I am going to cook a ham Xmas eve.

Would love suggestions pls!

MrsBertMacklin Wed 09-Dec-15 22:18:46

How fancy does it need to be?

Leftover ham into a pimped up carbonara?

MrsBertMacklin Wed 09-Dec-15 22:19:21

Sorry, I've completely missed the bit about making ahead, ignore carbonara!

BrianButterfield Wed 09-Dec-15 22:21:26

When you do your ham you could put a pork shoulder joint in and make pulled pork, it would actually benefit from being kept until Boxing Day and then just reheat and add BBQ sauce. Make some coleslaw on Christmas Eve too and serve with bread (part-baked baguettes if you don't want to go to the shop).

backinaminute Wed 09-Dec-15 23:04:39

Can I join in too please as need the same but for the day after Boxing Day?, I'm cooking for 10 but would ideally like something easy or can be made in advance and frozen (as will need to be made before Xmas eve) and reheated.

We are out on Boxing Day night so will also be hungover and possibly staying over. The Sunday will be with in laws so will require significant alcohol consumption to get me through.

I did think about Pulled Pork or perhaps a massive (poshed up - not quite sure how) cottage pie. I would like something that looks half decent and disproves the very true fact that I am incapable of catering for so many.

FabFlo Thu 10-Dec-15 11:55:47

Loved the pulled pork idea. Can I do that in the slow cooker?

What sides would I serve with it?

The more the merrier backinaminute fsmile

Would love any other suggestions.

Mincedpie Thu 10-Dec-15 12:02:54

Last year I did a veggie chilli and a meat chilli in the morning, then served with baked potatoes and nachos in the evening.

Year before I cooked a ham and a beef joint, parbaked bread, stuffing, left over turkey, various relishes for fancy sandwich making.

Both quite minimal effort fsmile

SquadGoals Thu 10-Dec-15 12:07:49

I'd do the pulled pork with rolls, coleslaw, spicy potato wedges, corn on the cob and salads.

Easy enough to buy in and prepare the rest in advance.

We're doing something similar on the 27th with the rest of the family with DIY ice cream sundaes for dessert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now