Talk

Advanced search

Tell me this is enough and stop me spending more!

(21 Posts)
Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 15:38:25

I love buying the dc toys. Dh is more tight frugal. So far they have:

Ds, just 4 and quite a young 4
Playmobil fire engine - first playmobil item and I'm a bit worried he won't be interested. ..
Playmobil firemen to go with above
Physics levers set
Big Octonauts floor puzzle
Stocking
He's also had scooter Light and Octonauts Figure for sinterklass presents already.

Dd, 19 months
Playmobil 123 large farm
Peppa pig puzzles
Sylvanian Families rabbit family
Stocking

Both to share : a few books and two games

I'm itching to get one more present each but dh is right, they already have an overflowing playroom... but books don't count do they? grin

gamerchick Tue 08-Dec-15 15:40:37

You need to cull the playroom man and then see grin

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Tue 08-Dec-15 15:42:36

Na I wouldnt bother getting them anything else. There's no need when they are so little. Keeps their expecations reasonable for the coming years. And I bet they get stuff off family?

But I know how hard it is to stop yourself!

MrsJayy Tue 08-Dec-15 15:44:18

Just stop it put the purse away grin

CakeNinja Tue 08-Dec-15 15:46:23

Id say it was enough, though hardly extravagant!
But then some would say I go too far overboard so suit yourself.
None of mine were ever into playmobil, is it similar to Lego but just doesn't get broken into a million pieces at the end?

Whoknewitcouldbeso Tue 08-Dec-15 15:46:54

I have bought my three year old a medical kit and I'm done. His birthday was a couple of weeks ago and he got masses of stuff. He isn't particularly interested in opening presents and definitely doesn't understand Christmas yet. It would be a totally pointless exercise for us to but him anything else.

Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 15:52:21

Ours love the medical kit I twitched on a couple of years ago grin whoknew

I know in my heart it's enough, I just keep seeing things I know they'd love. Staying away from the shops and Internet is the answer evidently! I also know they'd prize my attention above any toy... while I sit on mn blush

Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 15:53:39

They will get some bits from family, but they don't reliably stick to suggestions and it's stuff I've bought which invariably lasts the course control freak smile

MrsJayy Tue 08-Dec-15 15:56:54

Ive had to set a tight budget for my dc this year they are way older than ypurs its hard not to just get a few bits and bobs isnt it.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Tue 08-Dec-15 16:05:47

I think it really depends on your children and how much they like their toys. My son has speech delay and is only now displaying a level of concentration that is enabling pretend play. We have countless toys that lay untouched whilst he preferred to switch the light on and off a hundred times instead confused.

If your tiny ones will genuinely play with the stuff you're twitching on it will do no real harm, except to your bank balance of course!

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Tue 08-Dec-15 16:37:09

Op I agree, not extravagant or OTT by any stretch of the imagination. will they get anything from elsewhere?

However, plenty for that age, save your ££ for next year and year after as pressies get more £££££ grin

CinnamonStar Tue 08-Dec-15 16:58:28

It looks like a similar sort of amount to what I have bought my DC - I am sitting on my hands too grin. My DC have one big present, one medium present, a shared board game, a present from each other, a stocking and some christmassy pyjamas.

I do think a more moderate amount of presents can make each individual present seem more special. My 7 year old amazes me by being able to remember exactly who bought her what, not just last year, but several Christmasses ago.

I think it's a nice amount - exciting but not overwhelming. But I do keep on seeing extra things they would like and having to restrain myself!

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Tue 08-Dec-15 17:09:46

If it makes you feel any better, my 3.5yo DS is getting the same Playmobil bits whilst his 6yo sister is getting some other Playmobil bits of a similar value. They are each getting a Little Live Pet & a bit more marble run to share.
In their stockings, they each have a sticker book, sweets, pants, a robo fish, a torch, bubble bath & a couple of bits of plastic tat.
You can have too many books! I took 50 to the library the other day! Some were board books we had grown out of, others were Book People ones where I had bought, for example, 10 Elmer books only for my children to find them a bit dull so we certainly didn't need all 10. Due to my Book People addiction, we still have over 300 books which is almost one for each night of the year! DD also has reading books from school and we go to the library.

oobedobe Tue 08-Dec-15 18:23:53

Sounds like just the right amount to me. I have already twitched a few times, but as I don't want my DC to be overwhelmed with piles of gifts, I will hold a couple of things back for birthdays next year.

I am a great believer that toys lose their specialness if their are too many, so I aim for two or three things that they really LOVE rather than 10 things which are all just ok.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Dec-15 18:49:54

That sounds brilliant!

Stop twitching.

<fails to take own advice... EVERY SINGLE YEAR>

santa

Misty9 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:21:54

I definitely went overboard last year and it lost its meaning after the 4th present, especially for 8 month old dd!

I was contemplating twitching on a marble run for both of them... hmm, will ponder!

janaus Wed 09-Dec-15 04:07:19

If you want to add something, how about a Voucher for the family to visit a zoo or amusement park

But dont go overboard on toys, they wont appreciate too much, allow them to enjoy what they get

MyIronLung Wed 09-Dec-15 16:38:45

This thread has me twitching! Ds, also only recently 4, has no playmobil. I've added some of the dinosaur and pirates sets to my Amazon basket but I'm sitting on my hands trying to resist!

MyIronLung Wed 09-Dec-15 16:40:22

Btw, I love seeing what others have bought their dcs for Christmas 😀 I wanted to start a thread asking people to share but was worried that I'd be accused of stealth boasting or something...

Misty9 Wed 09-Dec-15 22:52:54

What else have you got your ds myironlung? And resist!

So I finally tackled the playroom clutter and filled two HUGE bags with puzzles and toys they probably won't even miss which are going in a cupboard to be rotated or given away in a couple of months. It's helped me realise they really don't need more and we'll already have to find room for stuff they get for Xmas from other people.

I am allowed to twitch on some needed furniture for them though. Anyone have a good sized play table and chairs they'd recommend? smile

MyIronLung Thu 10-Dec-15 00:24:18

I'm definitely done now (I've just gotta keep reminding myself of that fact grin ) I also got some mega deals on a lot of this stuff so it only cost me a fraction of what it's all worth grin

Dd(18) stocking :
Selfie stick (a joke because she's always taking selfies)
Pez dispenser and refills
Socks x2
Chic orange + choc coins
Slippers
Princess cracker grin
If I see something else smallish. Probably going to be a Yankee candle.

Tree:
£120 Mac voucher
DVD player +DVD
Perfume (non expensive stuff!)
Ring (from ds)

Ds(4) stocking:

Natural history museum dinosaur viewer thingie
Dino hat
Pirate sword
Poster
Paper plane set
Mini kinder Santa chocs
Coins
Minion cracker
Books

Tree:
Football goal + ball
Small ninjago set
Batman Lego set
Books
Magic sand
Don't rock the boat game
Colouring book + nice pens
Marvel super heroes (iron man/hulk/hulk buster and captain America)
Batman figure
Thomas take and play train launcher
Large Lego head storage
Playmobil Noah's ark.

Done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now