Talk

Advanced search

Festive brunch for friends - what to make?

(16 Posts)
tigerbear Tue 08-Dec-15 13:09:55

I'm having a few people over on Saturday for brunch - 12 adults, 9 children and babies, and trying to plan a menu.

I was thinking of pancakes or waffles but might be too much faff as I'll be trying to entertain too.
Can anyone recommend anything I could buy/make in advance? My only option atm is pre-made mini bagels with salmon from M&S...

Thanks!

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 08-Dec-15 13:20:16

I make pancakes, the nice thick ones and freeze, then microwave, so that could be an option

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 08-Dec-15 13:21:17

You could get bagels, salmon, cream cheese, cold meats and cheese and put out for people to help themselves?

Sheusedtobesomeonelse Tue 08-Dec-15 13:21:45

For bruncj th eonly thing i do last minute is toast the things that will need it and then the eggs : poached/scrambled and stick bacon Under the grill - everything else i put on the table for everyone to serve themselves. Its so much nicer when everyone can relax without you having to nip off to do stuff.

How about sprigs of holly to decorate the eggs ? Hot chocolate à la Frosty the Snowman, Cranberry jam, mini mincepies, basket of satsumas to go with the traditional brunchy things?

I think if i was you i'd probably go for decorating the table with festive stuff than the actual food - but i love a good brunch and i'm sure it will be great!

tigerbear Tue 08-Dec-15 13:26:18

Thanks all, some good suggestions. I'm going to be out the night before, with large potential for a hangover, so the easier and quicker the better for the food! smile

Didiusfalco Tue 08-Dec-15 13:26:56

Could you shove loads of jacket potatoes in and then have various fillings pre prepared and salads? Doing enough pancakes or waffles for that many people sounds very time consuming.

CakeNinja Tue 08-Dec-15 13:28:21

I'd go with a whole load of bacon/sausage sandwiches and then a pile of pastries. Very low key and easy to rustle up when below par fwink

clarabellap Tue 08-Dec-15 14:35:48

You can get bags of frozen pastries you could chuck in the oven for a 'fresh' feel to them. I agree with poster above, bacon/sausage rolls and pastries. Keep it simple.
Maybe a bowl if chopped melon or something too?

tassisssss Tue 08-Dec-15 16:09:18

Nigella's Christmas muffins could be made before they arrive.

I'd maybe do smoked salmon and cream cheese. Pancakes for kids.

Lots of nice fruit.

tigerbear Wed 09-Dec-15 13:04:35

Thanks all!
I'm very into the idea of frozen pastries - top idea!
And I think I'll get loads of sausages and buns for sausage sandwiches, together with caramelised onion chutney and sauce. Yum!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 09-Dec-15 21:04:43

a couple of cartons of covent garden soup -easy to heat in the microwave
and nice bread

ArtfulPuss Thu 10-Dec-15 09:47:50

I usually do a big fruit salad when we have friends for brunch - as well as, not instead of, pastries/bacon etc., I hasten to add! It always gets eaten, by adults and kids. Did one last year that was just mango, pineapple, blueberries and pomegranate, with a bit of OJ sloshed in and a squeeze of lime. Easy to prep the night before.

Allalonenow Thu 10-Dec-15 10:03:19

Even easier than frozen pastries, buy panettone and pan d'oro. For a very festive centrepiece slice the pan d'oro horizontally, dredge with icing sugar and decorate with fruit if you have time, look on internet for inspiration.

Platters of hams, salami, and a cheese board would require little effort other than shopping.

If you want to do something hot, mugs of ready made soup are simple but warming and welcoming.

tigerbear Fri 11-Dec-15 19:52:19

I can't wait until Sunday now, to eat all of this (hangover permitting!)
Thank you!

CakeNinja Fri 11-Dec-15 19:53:36

Yum, think I'll come too, it's my favourite Sunday brunch!

tigerbear Sat 12-Dec-15 08:38:00

Cake smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now