Talk

Advanced search

Boxing Day food ideas when you don't have leftovers!

(19 Posts)
ColdTeaAgain Tue 08-Dec-15 13:01:08

We will be spending Christmas day at my PILs and then Boxing Day we will be at our house and my Dad is joining us.

Any suggestions what to do food wise?

Normally, Boxing Day food would consist of Christmas Day leftovers (which I actually prefer to the roast dinner! grin ).

If it was just DH and I we would be happy with a sandwich but as my Dad is coming I want to make an effort.

WWYD? Buffet type stuff? Cook? I really don't want to do anything that will take lot's of preparation!

Chewbecca Tue 08-Dec-15 13:34:44

If I'm not doing Christmas Day but I am doing boxing day, I buy a turkey crown anyway and cook it either boxing morning or Christmas Eve. Then have normal Boxing Day fare which for us is cold turkey, ham, jacket pots + pickles, beetroot, coleslaw etc. Love it!

Dessert-wise, assuming I have no leftover xmas pud, I would normally make a chocolate tart on Boxing Day, a tried a tested recipe that happily rests for 2 days before eating. I have a home-made Christmas cake too which we'll cut on Boxing Day.

bookbook Tue 08-Dec-15 13:42:57

I am doing Boxing day food this year ( Family take it in turns on Christmas Day) so no leftovers here, and we go out in the morning.
I am going to have everything ready to just cook.
Am doing
slow roast lamb ( going in oven first thing)
Boulangere potatoes ( prepped day before , ready to pop in oven)
Roasted veg ( prepped day before, again ready to pop in oven)
fresh green veg - sprouts/broccoli
I am doing Christmas Pudding though smile

ColdTeaAgain Tue 08-Dec-15 19:49:20

Thank you for replies.

Turkey crown for cold meat sounds good idea.

bookbook that sounds really nice but I don't think I will get much time for all the prep on Christmas day as we won't be home until about 9pm.

Gliblet Tue 08-Dec-15 20:50:53

Likewise, baked ham can be prepped in advance and left in the fridge to serve with jacket potatoes, or a cheeseboard and pickles (or egg & chips grin ), in sandwiches etc.

CharleyDavidson Tue 08-Dec-15 22:29:38

We have Christmas day at Mum's and will have no leftovers. I'm probably going to make something like a roast ham on Christmas eve, so that will still be good on Boxing day. And will buy a large chicken or a turkey crown to bung in the oven with a tray of roast root veg on boxing day tea.

I love leftovers.

charlieandlola Tue 08-Dec-15 22:31:49

Turkey crown and chips !
Compulsory on Boxing Day

Enjoy it more than The feast on the 25th

PigeonPie Tue 08-Dec-15 22:33:54

Boxing Day for us is always:

Baked potatoes, cheese, sliced ham, salad and left over meat from Christmas Day followed by fruit salad and Christmas Pud.

Sometimes I might make soup too.

ColdTeaAgain Tue 08-Dec-15 23:07:10

I won't have left overs though Pigeon that's why I was asking for ideas grin

Turkey crown and baked ham sounding good.

Thinking I will freeze some nice bread so we will have fresh bread with the meats to make brie and cranberry sandwiches for teatime.

Still stuck on lunch though. DH and dad not a fan of jacket potatoes.

SayAGreatBigThankyou Wed 09-Dec-15 07:18:47

following! so far I've just bought pigs in blankets, but a turkey crown is a great idea fgrin

fieldfare Wed 09-Dec-15 07:21:43

I always cook a big joint of gammon on Xmas eve so Boxing Day lunch would be cold gammon, pate, cheeses, nice bread and chutneys with olives, crudités and dips etc. Nice and simple with minimal prep.

AnyoneButSanta Wed 09-Dec-15 07:22:24

Gammon in Coca Cola - cook a huge one on Xmas eve and eat with mash and peas then have cold with salad etc on Boxing Day.

AnyoneButSanta Wed 09-Dec-15 07:22:50

X-post with fieldfare

PigeonPie Wed 09-Dec-15 08:41:28

Sorry ColdTea, I should have said that the leftovers were a bonus rather than an integral part of the meal.

Also forgot that I usually 'do' an ox tongue as well, but I might cheat and buy it this year ready cured. Will also usually make some sort of bread.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Wed 09-Dec-15 08:49:33

I have a lot of hungry people stay so lunch is a curry and in the evening we have a retro buffet with a baked ham, turkey and lots of bits and pieces, including cheese and pineapple on sticks stuck in a foil covered grapefruit grin

Chewbecca Thu 10-Dec-15 18:46:18

Agree with freezing bread, I get fresh from bakers on Christmas Eve and freeze, take it out on Boxing morning.

Do DH and Dad like mashed potatoes? That's my alternative to the jackets, goes beautifully with the cold meats & pickles, I'm just too lazy to peel spuds for the number of visitors I'm expecting on BD!

herecomesthsun Thu 10-Dec-15 19:24:44

curry would be nice but pre-prepared takes a lot of fridge space.

\Do you have space in your freezer and a "Cook" outlet nearby perhaps?

Otherwise, really nice pork pie/ festive sausages/ M n S salads, nice bread (maybe frozen garlic bread) and a trifle?

ColdTeaAgain Fri 11-Dec-15 00:07:03

Right so turkey crown and somethig?for lunch,

Fresh bread, cold meats, cheeses etc for tea. There will be plenty of Chritmas cake and mince pies.

I don't know why I'm stressing about this! Suppose it's the first time I've hosted a Christmas thing so just want it to be nice.

DH and Dad would like mash but it's one of my least favourite foods ever! What's that saying about can't please everyone ;)

How about potato gratin? With a festive twist? Haven't made it for a while but not too faffy as I recall.

ColdTeaAgain Fri 11-Dec-15 00:08:09

Love a retro buffet ENtertainment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now