Talk

Advanced search

something to do with science

(19 Posts)
shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 06:37:06

Both dd1(10 nearly 11) and ds (6) want science related stuff but nothing specific. Dh hates any dangerous chemicals (!!). Dd wants to be a vet so something chemistry related would be ideal. I don't want more junk we won't get around to doing (as might be moving) so wondered about a kitchen chemistry box. Some of the kits look a bit emperor's new clothes- can anyone recommend a good one or alternatively recommendations for what to put in a diy one. Or something else science related which animal mad dd might like. Wondered about anotomical dog model. Needs to be fairly cheap as money already allocated to other presents.

Ds it could be anything, price range up to £30ish. Wondered about robot kit. An alternative is a drum kit so fairly motivated on this one!

Skiingmaniac Tue 08-Dec-15 06:39:17

What about a bird nest box with camera that shows you what's happening inside on the TV or a glass bird feeder that suckers to the window.

GastonsChestHair Tue 08-Dec-15 06:48:36

If you can stretch the budget a bit, I'm getting my ds Hotwires. It's plug and play electronics. I've heard really great things about it. Toys r us have it for £44.99.

VoyageOfDad Tue 08-Dec-15 06:50:39

A microscope ? I bought my neice one that plugged into the telly, it was brill.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 06:50:54

A good idea(and just the sort of self-contained thing I m wanting) but we have two cats (dd1 is cat crazy) so it would be too much of a present for them!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 06:56:02

They both have microscopes (although cheap ones), dd2 got an electronic kit but it isn't played with. My dc like playing imaginary games more. Something they can set up once and leave would be ideal. Would a wormery be cruel, they might like that. Not aquadragons.

margaritasbythesea Tue 08-Dec-15 07:03:54

A medical kit with real supplies. You can buy all the bits separately and they're not expensive. I got blood pressure monitor, stethoscope, slings, bandages, gel pack and plasters etc for about £20 . Bag was about £10. I used amazon and new from ebay.

kittyvet Tue 08-Dec-15 07:09:25

Stethoscope definitely. Cheap ones about £7

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 07:13:19

I did dr kit last year for ds and he has enjoyed it. Thank you for the suggestion though.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 08-Dec-15 07:17:19

What about the butterfly chrysalis kit? Or grow your own crystals?

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Dec-15 07:56:53

Lidl have got Experiment kits in from next Monday

Big sets : www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=29227

www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=29233

And various other dinosaur, books and a solar kit.

If you have one near you, that is!

PitBlackwell Tue 08-Dec-15 07:58:17

The second link should say "small kits" before it. So tired!

99percentchocolate Tue 08-Dec-15 07:59:45

Tiger has some good bits in, eg build a robotic spider for £5

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 13:12:36

Might leave butterflies until he Spring Birthday, but those Lidl kits look good and the Tiger tip - going to one on Fri. I love Tiger!

Chewbecca Tue 08-Dec-15 13:31:03

Have you looked at the brainbox kits, they're electrical circuits, you have to connect it all up to make the lightbulb go on, or the helicopter take off, a booklet of challenges is included. DS really enjoyed it.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Dec-15 13:35:23

You can get stick insect kits like the butterfly ones apparently. I want one myself grin

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 08-Dec-15 16:28:44

I quite like the butterfly idea though because then you can release them and don't need to worry about them again!

0verNow Tue 08-Dec-15 16:32:19

Check out the Science Museum website - it's amazing.

pottymummy Tue 08-Dec-15 16:34:56

[This www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Hot-Wires-Electronics/dp/B0006SK3WG ]] is awesome although we bought it when it was about £30. Put a camelcamelcamel tracker on it to monitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now