Talk

Advanced search

A nice chutney to go with cheese

(25 Posts)
desperatelyseekingamovingdate Mon 07-Dec-15 22:03:59

I love a nice bit of cheddar at xmas, can anyone recommend a nice chutney to go with it? Berber 1884 vintage cheddar is my new fav cheese by the btw. Good cheddar/ cheese recommendations also welcomed.

Headmelt Mon 07-Dec-15 22:13:09

You could try cranberry sauce/jam?

I make lovely crustinis with brie and cranberry. Very quick and easy nibbles for Christmas gatherings. I get a french stick, slice it (not too thin) and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Put under the grill until golden brown. Remove and place a piece of cheese and a dollop of cranberry sauce on each and put back under grill to melt cheese. Remove and put on a platter.

You could probably cut cheese into cubes and crumb or batter and deep fry, serve with sweet chilli dip

LumelaMme Mon 07-Dec-15 22:14:57

Quince marmalade, if you can get it. Wonderful with cheddar.

bexcee8 Mon 07-Dec-15 22:18:46

I love red onion marmalade with my cheese and biscuits

Headmelt Mon 07-Dec-15 22:31:41

You can buy vol au vont pastry in the frozen section of the supermarket, bake in oven and fill with cheddar, chopped bacon bits and some sautéed onion serve with tomato salsa/green leaf salad. I saw some nice recipes for chutney on;
www.bbcgoodfood.com
Mary Berry's Christmas chutney looks good. I haven't ever made chutney but there are reviews from others who have used the recipes so I found it useful. smile

Davros Mon 07-Dec-15 23:36:02

Imo you can't beat a drop of Branston with cheddar, we have Montgomery from Neal's Yard

mrsdavegrohl Tue 08-Dec-15 09:35:47

Aldi do a lovely Christmas chutney but my favourite is just their caramelised onion chutney

Spidertracker Tue 08-Dec-15 09:37:32

Branston everytime, I must be so common.

MumOfTheMoment Tue 08-Dec-15 09:38:01

M&S winter warming chutney is bloody gorgeous.

ScrambledSmegs Tue 08-Dec-15 09:44:11

Tracklements Fig Relish. Absolutely sublime with mature cheddar.

How mature do you like your cheese? Keens is too strong for me but DH loves it, I prefer Montgomerys.

SwearyGodmother Tue 08-Dec-15 09:47:28

Red onion marmalade here too. It's so easy to make! A bag of onions, 750ml red wine vinegar, 600g sugar. Bring to boil then let simmer for 90 or so minutes so it's sticky and sweet. I've been making buckets of the stuff for Christmas.

OurBlanche Tue 08-Dec-15 09:49:16

Snowdonia Black Bomber is the preferred Cheddar here smile

Tracklements Fig Relish is good, must grab some... but I love apple chutney with cheddar, maybe even a chilli jam.

jingscrivvens Tue 08-Dec-15 09:51:58

I make this chutney mango and lemon chutney

Half the recipe quantity lasts me almost a year! But you'd need to make it toot suite so it would be ready in time for the big day, made mine on Sunday.

But there are some delicious bought chutneys out there too, no idea what they are called though!

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Tue 08-Dec-15 13:51:06

Thanks everyone, you cant beat a bit of branstons! I bought a red tomato and chilli one from lidl and it was so sweet, just like jam urgh. I need something with a bit of sharpness. Def looking for something to buy as making mince pies with shop bought pastry and mince meat is my limit!

I might head to M&S food, they rarely let me down.

Thanks

Geepee71 Tue 08-Dec-15 14:08:11

M&S Caramelised Red Onion Chutney.
Also M&S Cornish Tickler cheddar - yum!

ceeveebee Tue 08-Dec-15 14:11:16

Spicy peach from waitrose

wonkylegs Tue 08-Dec-15 14:11:58

Godminster Beetroot & Apple chutney is awesome, we get it from Pong Cheeses (who also do awesome cheese) but I think you can get it from elsewhere too.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 08-Dec-15 14:12:25

Waitrose caramelised red onion chutney is hard to beat

MrsMarigold Tue 08-Dec-15 14:20:48

Yorkshire provender red onion marmalade is also very good.

gallicgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 14:22:00

Tiptree hot gooseberry chutney. It's a work of genius.

LovelyFriend Tue 08-Dec-15 14:24:15

I am very sorry but all I can think of after reading the thread title is the Chutney Twunt of MN yesteryear smile

I will steer clear of the Lidl chilli chutney - cheers.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 08-Dec-15 16:56:13

Branston Small Chunk (decanted into a small Kilner jar to look fancy wink )

Common as muck here !

LillianGish Tue 08-Dec-15 17:09:02

Delia's spiced apricot chutney So delicious, so easy to make, will make your kitchen smell lovely, will last you for ages, no other chutney will ever be able to compare.

Callmecordelia Tue 08-Dec-15 17:29:18

I once had a taste of Fortnum and Mason Christmas chutney at someone elses house, and it was gorgeous.

Wagglebees Tue 08-Dec-15 19:52:08

I saw someone suggest truffle honey on here the other day. Haven't tried it yet. M&S have some as does Booths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now