Talk

Advanced search

Nothing for baby's Christmas!

(20 Posts)
Yarpyarp Mon 07-Dec-15 13:21:53

DD2 3 months old. Got lots of clothes and toys handed down from her sister. I mean she really doesn't need anything. I'm at a loss as to what to get her for Xmas and no clue what to advise her relatives.

I'm sure this has been done before, but what do I do? I know she won't know any different but I don't want her big sister (4) to think Santa has missed out the baby. I could wrap some old toys although a lot of them have been 'seen' recently by toddler.

Anyone got any ideas? I can only think of clothes but I literally kept everything from DD1 except the tatty stuff

amysmummy12345 Mon 07-Dec-15 13:28:47

My dd's first Xmas we hardly got her anything, mostly books (poor kid lolol) she had so many things off others we hardly had any room to put anything so I'm glad we didn't go wild!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Mon 07-Dec-15 13:31:22

Money to put in bank account or gift vouchers to use at later date.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Mon 07-Dec-15 13:31:53

It's quite fun to see babies fascinated by new things though, so it would be fun for all of you to give her a little something, wouldn't it? Like:

A silicone pastry brush-babies seem to love licking and chewing on these;

A little ball;

A headband with reindeer antlers on it or other ludicrous fancy dress costume?

Akire Mon 07-Dec-15 13:34:59

How about teething type toys? Always nice to have new. Few Christmas bibs and a new baby book. I would just ask relatives who would buy something anyway and keep money for something later on.

GastonsChestHair Mon 07-Dec-15 13:38:06

A silver engraved bangle?

Keeptrudging Mon 07-Dec-15 13:40:04

A feely blanket/mat (no idea what they're called, my DD loved hers)!

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 07-Dec-15 13:43:40

DS2 (6mo at first Christmas) had a single new toy, which was wrapped up. That was it. He was fine.

Do a charity shop sweep for baby toys and wrap them up. Job done!

Yarpyarp Mon 07-Dec-15 13:58:06

Thanks everyone! Those of you with second babies, did the 1st child notice that their baby sibling didn't get as much or were they too busy with their own stuff?!

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 07-Dec-15 14:02:28

1st child was only 19 months old and so was completely oblivious grin

BillMurrey Mon 07-Dec-15 14:06:28

ds was 6 weeks old at his first Christmas. I got him a small stocking and dd who was 2 really enjoyed opening all his presents for him. She didn't notice that he didn't have much.

Surely you could just explain, if she did notice, that father Christmas only gets babies a few presents because they're so tiny and not really able to play yet.

Yarpyarp Mon 07-Dec-15 14:17:12

Good explanation, I'll do that. Thinking about it like that, I think DD1 will be very understanding about it. And good thinking about helping to open presents..

I'm being way too paranoid about this aren't I?! Plenty other things to worry myself about!

BillMurrey Mon 07-Dec-15 14:21:16

fgrin

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Mon 07-Dec-15 14:22:58

DS was very keen to give DD her presents and supervise everything she did. It was a good way of keeping him occupied, actually.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 07-Dec-15 14:26:17

This Christmas DD1 will be 2 and DD2 will be nearly 6 months. I've bought a couple of teething toys and some slipper socks to put in her stocking and that's it! I'm anticipating DD1 being far too engrossed in their own presents to care what her sister gets!

INeedACheeseSlicer Mon 07-Dec-15 14:36:27

We were in the same position.

I bought things like new sippy cups and weaning spoons, posh expensive organic baby shampoo etc A couple of books to keep for the future. I think I wrapped up some swimming nappies as well, which was a fairly large parcel grin

My DD would definitely have noticed an uneven number of stocking presents, but didn't really take much notice later in the day when we were unwrapping other presents.

Iloveonionchutney Mon 07-Dec-15 22:06:19

I've had to get some bits for my 2 month old as dd (5) told Danta that he can't forget to bring pressies for her new sister! I hit poundland and got bath books, rubber ducks and boats, sippy cup, toiletries, socks and then got some teether type toys and stacking cups. Ive not spent more than £20 and she'll have a nice little pile that older dd will get the most enjoyment out of

cravingcake Tue 08-Dec-15 06:42:25

Only other thing to add would be maybe a simple helium balloon, baby would enjoy watching it move about and lights reflecting off it. Older child will love playing with it too.

interrobang Tue 08-Dec-15 13:59:18

We are in the same boat, and though my eldest is a boy, I'm not doing gender toys, and I have ample clothes for her too.
She is getting a new doll, some extra nice clothes, crockery and cutlery, some rattley toys. I too am feeling the poor thing is hard done by compared to the big one!

Freezingwinter Tue 08-Dec-15 16:25:50

What about the Christmas theme That's not my.. Books? Sainsburys have them for three pounds and they have a fairy, penguin, donkey and snowman I think. My lo was around 6 months when he started to enjoy them. And what about a nice soft teddy? Tk Maxx do unusual soft toys and the jellycat range is nice. Something nice for her first Christmas tbat she will use/enjoy as she grows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now