Talk

Advanced search

What have become your family's Christmas traditions?

(6 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 07-Dec-15 11:44:40

DS will turn 7 months old on Christmas Day, so we as a family don't really have any traditions yet, but I was just thinking that we've done some things already that will turn into family traditions smile

- Sticking to "something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read" for presents (plus massive stocking and a present from Father Christmas too, obvs)
- Getting and decorating Christmas tree first weekend of December
- Photo of the baby (and then subsequent children too of course) in front of the tree each year
- Throw the Santa - we have a really annoying singing Santa soft toy which actually came off a Christmas jumper - it velcros to the shoulder and sits there like a parrot, hideous! Anyway, one person says where they want it on the tree, another person throws it at the tree and then he stays wherever he lands until we take the tree down.

All very standard (except maybe the last one :D) but it excites me!

Just interested to hear other families' traditions, I love them smile

LucyMouse Mon 07-Dec-15 11:50:59

I have a personalised bauble with DS's name and year of birth on it. We have a photo of him holding the bauble while decorating the tree each year.
Made a Christmas cake this year with DS and we both enjoyed it so that will carry on.
Take away on Christmas Eve, but that's more for DH and I!

Thumbcat Mon 07-Dec-15 11:54:34

Things that we always do are:

Visit Father Christmas at local garden centre - although I think this might be the last year [sob]
Have a lazy Boxing Day at home, just us in pyjamas with new toys, telly & leftovers
Go into London to see a show and have dinner between Christmas and New Year

Pasanna Mon 07-Dec-15 14:13:30

We have a massive Christmas Eve brunch with friends and (some) family. It starts around midday and finishes about 5. Where we live Christmas Eve is a big family celebration so everyone has to go home to prepare for the evening meal, which means there's not too much drunkeness (or people staying too long).
We love it and our dc (3 &5) love it too, this year I've invited about 45 people including children. It's our Christmas present to us and our friends.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 07-Dec-15 16:49:04

Wow Pasanna that brunch sounds amazing!

Like the personalised bauble tradition smile

sliceofkate Mon 07-Dec-15 20:25:13

My DC are 5&3 now, so our family 'traditions' are starting to bed in.. grin
- We always put the tree up first weekend in Dec, a real one from a local farm, the guy there knows us now.
- We have an elf who leaves chocolates in our wooden advent truck (if we've been good of course!)
- We have Christmas bedding
- We do the Christmas themed walks at our local national Trust Park one wkend in Dec and again the weekend at new year
- We have a selection of Christmas crockery that comes out this time of year for treats (Christmas tree spode, very pretty!)
- we have a selection of Christmas books, from a set, that are kept away with the Decs, these go under the tree (next to the train track) and can be read by all.

We do a selection of other things throughout the festive season but these are the few that we keep repeated.🎄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now