Talk

Advanced search

Who buys cauliflower cheese at Xmas?

(170 Posts)
noblegiraffe Sun 06-Dec-15 20:06:08

And red cabbage??

Christmas dinner is, as far as I'm concerned, turkey, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sausages wrapped in bacon, some peas and carrots, a token sprout and lots of gravy. Maybe some gammon too. Other people may have parsnips.

I've been looking at the ready prepared stuff for Christmas and there's red cabbage and cauliflower cheese on offer. What? Why? You can't smother that in gravy and thus they are surely wrong?

2plus1plusL1 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:09:02

LOVE cauliflower cheese - won't be christmas dinner without cauliflower cheese. Had it every year as a child and I've continued that.
I don't buy pre-made though.
Red cabbage - Not on my christmas menu

SuburbanRhonda Sun 06-Dec-15 20:11:04

Yes, we have red cabbage every year at DM's pre-Christmas get-together, but she makes her own.

Tell you what, OP, if you don't like it, how about you don't buy it? grin

ShatnersBassoon Sun 06-Dec-15 20:11:20

Yes please to red cabbage, it adds some tang and colour. Cauliflower cheese would be a nice accompaniment for a vegetarian roast of some description, especially something on the dry side, like a nut roast.

TheGreenNinja Sun 06-Dec-15 20:11:26

Oooh no, you're wrong! Cauliflower cheese and red cabbage are essentials for me. But then we never have sausages wrapped in bacon or turkey, so what do I know?

Hoppinggreen Sun 06-Dec-15 20:12:19

Not xmas dinner without red cabbage in this house, DH is German though so that's probably why, never had it before I lived with him

marmaladegranny Sun 06-Dec-15 20:12:53

My DD (adult!) has insisted on cauliflower cheese at every opportunity and always serves it at Christmas lunch, with lots of gravy and mint sauce (every meat meal includes this)!!!
NO to mashed potato - never on a plate with gravy….

momb Sun 06-Dec-15 20:13:06

But they are both amazing with gammon. Either would be delicious on Christmas eve or Boxing Day even if you don't want them with your Christmas dinner (though we do have red cabbage with ours).

MeganChips Sun 06-Dec-15 20:13:41

It would never occur to me to do peas with a Christmas dinner.

Veg for me is red cabbage, roast parsnips, sprouts with chestnuts, carrots and roast potatoes.

I don't do turkey either, I do beef. Boxing day we have all the trimmings in a buffet.

DragonMamma Sun 06-Dec-15 20:14:00

Cauliflower cheese is an essential at our dinner. I would weep without it, it makes the whole thing brilliant. Never buy it, always cook on Christmas eve.

I love red cabbage but it hasn't always featured but it'll be back this year and we'll get the m&s one with apple.

RiverTam Sun 06-Dec-15 20:14:18

Red cabbage is really Christmassy! Mmmmmm, yum yum yum. Wouldn't have cauliflower cheese myself but can't see why it shouldn't be OK?

Potkettleblack2 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:15:36

Red cabbage is a must for me in my Christmas dinner plate!

Hatethis22 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:15:52

Peas are Wrong. As is mash. Cauliflower and broccoli cheese, parsnips and cranberry sauce are necessary.

Titsywoo Sun 06-Dec-15 20:16:24

I make the stuff people like. So we all want cauliflower cheese, broccoli, sprouts, peas, red cabbage. If they aren't traditional I couldn't give a tiny rats arse.

HolgerDanske Sun 06-Dec-15 20:17:01

Absolutely, always red cabbage at ours for dinner. But I am Danish so that explains that. However it's clearly also traditional here in many families, given that the likes of Delia always include them in their traditional collections.

Chewbecca Sun 06-Dec-15 20:19:11

Red cabbage is too strong for Christmas dinner imo, the flavour dominates too much. Though if we did have it, I'd make it myself.

Veg here are sprouts (love them!), carrots, cauliflower, leeks & mashed swede, so a good variety of colours. Plus roast parsnips & potatoes, no mash weird. The veg are def not token though, they're a major part of making it The Meal.

MumOfTheMoment Sun 06-Dec-15 20:22:49

Peas for Christmas dinner shock
Mash???? shock

Red cabbage and cauli cheese are definately essentials here.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 06-Dec-15 20:23:33

Yes to cauliflower cheese! We don't have turkey, but we do have stuffing, carrots, roast potatoes (mash with a roast? Wtf) green beans, broccoli, pigs in blankets and yorkie puds.

dalmatianmad Sun 06-Dec-15 20:29:05

I love mashed potatoes, probably my favourite food but I never have it on Christmas dinner! That's just wrong.
We have jersey royal new potatoes and roast potatoes fsmile

Secondtimeround75 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:33:21

Peas for Christmas dinner!!

We have turkey & ham
Potatoes roasted
Carrots & parsnips
Red cabbage
Sprouts
Stuffing , sausage meet & potato

tshirtsuntan Sun 06-Dec-15 20:36:49

I always make cauli cheese and would like to try red cabbage with a roast (usually only make coleslaw with it) what do you add/how do you cook it to make it really delicious?

Idefix Sun 06-Dec-15 20:42:01

Red cabbage with Apple and cinnamon
Roasties
Carrots
Sprouts
Parsnips
Stuffing
Goose
Pigs in blankets
Bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy
Mouth is watering at the thought fsmile

noblegiraffe Sun 06-Dec-15 20:51:55

Ok, what is wrong with mash? I'd always have it with a roast dinner. Just roasties on a plate would seem lonely.

I'm still not getting the cauliflower cheese and red cabbage. Don't they run into everything else and get mixed up with the gravy? Cheese and gravy don't go, you'd have to build a mash barrier to keep them apart.

Why do people have two forms of potato? I don't get it! Mash does not belong with a roast. Ever.

We'll be having turkey, goose fat roasties, cauliflower (plain!), garlic roasted parsnip,swede,garlic and red onion (ds will have the onion...), cabbage, mushy peas blush , sausages in bacon, yorky puds and lashings of gravy.

As for my mushy peas, I rarely bother with peas as ds won't touch them so I 'treat' myself to mushy ones for Christmas dinner and any time I go to a chippy, although that tends to be mushy pea fritters these days grin

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 06-Dec-15 21:02:04

Roast turkey
Chipolata sausages (not pigs in blankets)
Bread sauce
Gravy
Pork, sage and onion stuffing
Cranberry and orange relish
Sprouts (a lot more than a token one sprout!)
Carrots
Roast parsnips
Peas (yes - we love peas with our roasts)
Roast potatoes

Not keen on red cabbage so have never added that. Rather tempted by cauliflower cheese, but it would be one more thing to do, and it's very filling. Hmmm.

Never bothered with a second potato dish. I do like mashed potatoes with gravy, though.

CANNOT WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER! [FGRIN]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now