Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a jam maker?

(8 Posts)
Doza Sat 05-Dec-15 15:03:21

I asked DD2 what she thought Granny would like for Christmas and the answer was "stuff for making jam": DD2 is obviously hoping to benefit from such a giftgrin
Any suggestions? She isn't very gadgety if you see what I mean, and I know nothing about jam making!

Sadik Sat 05-Dec-15 15:14:16

Does she make jam already? If so, maybe pretty labels (you can get personalised ones), gingham pot covers, that sort of thing?

Jam making doesn't really need any gadgets, to be honest - you need a decent jam pan, and some people use a jam thermometer (though equal numbers just test on a cold plate - I find the latter much easier myself). That's it really beyond supplies of fruit and sugar!

Sadik Sat 05-Dec-15 15:17:50

Actually, that's not true, there is one other thing that is tremendously useful if you don't already have one (and I didn't for years) - a jam funnel.

I'd be very happy if someone gave me something like this set from Lakeland.

Bananajam Sat 05-Dec-15 15:22:15

I was given a big jam pan last year from Lakeland - its really useful. If she doesn't have one already?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 05-Dec-15 15:28:09

Interestingly shaped jam jars?
New lids?

My essentials are my funnel, and a long handled spoon. I have a thermometer but as PP said, it's not essential. And I have a big pan wih a heavy bottom and wide mouth, but it's not a specific maslin pan.

Ooh, maybe a jelly-straining bag in case she wants to make jellies? But again, you could make do with other stuff there, too.

OurBlanche Sat 05-Dec-15 15:41:38

My jam kit includes:

Maslin pan
Muslin drainer stand
2 long handled spoons: with jam and chutney burned into them
A jam thermometer
Jam funnel
Collection of jars, covers, labels

The last thing DH spotted that I have used a lot is a hot jar lifter, about £5 in Dunelm

annandale Sat 05-Dec-15 15:46:18

Ooh, loving the hot jar lifter - that perfect thing that you never knew you wanted. Merry Christmas DH (he's the jam maker in our household)

Might she like the River Cottage Preserves book? Of course she might see it as an insult as she already knows it all! But it's a lovely book to read.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 05-Dec-15 15:50:43

Do you know what she'd probably love - a wee promise note from DD saying she'll go out gathering berries with her next autumn and spend the day making jam with her. I'd get DD to sort that out and add the RC book from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now