Talk

Advanced search

smug Christmas thread

(25 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 12:53:57

Allow me this...
For the first time ever in my adult life we are pretty much sorted for christmas early. We don't host so I appreciate the job is much smaller but all the shopping and wrapping done (except a few last bits for the dc which should arrive next week) cards to be written this afternoon. Scool and club gifts to go our next week. Treat stuff for christmas eve bought.
This has never happened. I finish work on the 18th and will be able to do what I always plan to do - family board games and walks, not manically shopping and wrapping and stressing. We used to wrap for the dcs on Christmas eve, took until midnight sad

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 12:54:52

I'm just making mince pies to eat while we put the tree up this afternoon

elQuintoConyo Sat 05-Dec-15 13:01:57

Me too! We only have a couple of bits left to get, cards will be posted Monday.

Have a list for Christmas lunch menu, just have to swing by Aldi-Lidl (Lidldi grin ) to buy it all, and we're done!

The next two weeks at work are always manic, plus we're going away today until Tuesday (across country, nowt fancy).

Then

fuzzpig Sat 05-Dec-15 13:08:47

Brilliant! You deserve to be smug grin

Have to say though I actually don't mind wrapping on Christmas eve when it happens like that (Baileys helps...) - and actually my favourite part of Christmas eve over the last couple of years has been the late night building of Playmobil grin

I'm generally sorted for the DCs, DSCs and DH pretty early, as I really enjoy shopping for them, but usually struggle with the few other people we buy for and end up panicking. So I'm quite pleased that I've made myself get that sorted earlier this year - not finished yet, but it's a much less daunting task now.

fuzzpig Sat 05-Dec-15 13:09:55

Oh but I'm definitely not smug about getting the house ready for decorating - it's a total tip!

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 13:22:13

Well done quint smile
I agree about the Christmas eve wrapping that's always how I think it'll be, nice film on, baileys and wrapping under the tree. The reality is a stressful never ending pile of presents plus we always realise were missing something essential and end up awake until gone midnight. I'm looking forward to filling the stocking and then really relaxing. I might wrap dhs present on Christmas eve , that won't stress me

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 13:24:56

I think the shopping thing is a big part. I work 5 mins from a big shopping park place and through the year would think nothing of popping out at lunch for what I need. If I have what I need in mind I can be done and back at my desk within half an hour. Obviously in December that doesn't happen but I never factor that in. So then I slip behind on my work and get stressed / work extra to account for that.

MTWTFSS Sat 05-Dec-15 13:56:26

I had all my Christmas presents bought at the end of November... until I ate all the edible ones sad

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 13:57:12

grin I bought extra in case that happened

Savagebeauty Sat 05-Dec-15 14:02:34

No hosting here either and no traditional dinner planned.
Gifts wrapped, cards sent. I need to get a tree next weekend ..my only decoration. 12 bottles of champagne bought grin
And I now have 4 weeks off to enjoy

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Sat 05-Dec-15 14:11:39

Can i join too? I am feeling very smug and i am not on FB to boast!

Christmas tree and decs are up, most of big food items are bought for first time hosting. Most presents wrapped, dont do cards, i have lists and timelines created. I DID have 12 bottles of processo and lots of nuts/biscuits etc but sadly they evaporated between buying them and now - oopps.

I have a few nice weekends planned and am looking forwards to a relaxed and happy christmas.

Well done everyone

FabFlo Sat 05-Dec-15 14:40:30

Decs going up now.

Only 2 presents wrapped and they are both from a toyshop give monutes from my house.

Most of the presents are wrapped - will finish off the rest tonight. Will take an hour.

About to make mince pies and enjoy with a Baileys!

Have bought all the teachers presents.

I don't do cards.

Foodwise we have all the treat food. Fresh stuff will be picked up nearer the time.

I'm smug!

ClashCityRocker Sat 05-Dec-15 14:51:28

I'm normally all done by now.

Still got about half the presents to get. DH's family sorted, just got to do my side, but having a total lack of inspiration. No presents wrapped, wrapping paper not even bought. My christmas treats box so far comprises of one box of mince pies sad

I've lot my christmas mojo a bit this year, I think. I usually love buying gifts for people, but just feel a bit meh about it lately.

Never mind, decs going up tomorrow, maybe that will get me in the mood!

HermioneWeasley Sat 05-Dec-15 14:52:50

Shopping (except food for Xmas day!) all done, house decorated. Need to write cards and wrap presents . Feeling very content and a bit smug

Siwi Sat 05-Dec-15 14:58:26

All done but I think I get the twitching thing.
I keep seeing things advertised and have to kick myself.

The only thing I want is a postcard of a red letterbox.

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 15:13:23

Siwi I have a card of a red letter box with a Robin in front, do you want to see a photo? Would be happy to send it to you if you're struggling to find one

Siwi Sat 05-Dec-15 15:35:03

Stealth, thx. I can buy one but p & p is £4.40.

I'm going to have to draw it. Duh.

smile

Siwi Sat 05-Dec-15 15:35:40

Robin is good idea, though.

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 15:51:40

Happy to send this but it is a card, no good if you need a proper postcard I suppose. You could cut the front off?

PennyPants Sat 05-Dec-15 18:01:52

Need to finish buying DD's present- know what I'm getting so that's easy. Also my Dsis- got one thing, haven't a clue what else.
Any ideas for animal loving, arty person?
Everyone else sorted and wrapped.
DD wants to put the decorations/trees up tomorrow.
Also break up on the 18th, can't wait.

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Dec-15 18:05:56

Adult colouring book?

Varya Sat 05-Dec-15 18:08:51

I am not all smug. Only written in a few cards. Nothing else. No decs up.

PennyPants Sat 05-Dec-15 18:12:19

I looked at some adult colouring books today actually. There was a really nice tatoo one and some fine art pens. She is very good -sells stuff.

Chillywhippet Sat 05-Dec-15 18:40:30

siwi - try making one on cardsinthepost.co.uk £2 delivered. You just need to find picture and upload it. Easy honest.

imwithspud Sat 05-Dec-15 18:57:57

I'm feeling so organised this year but I've still got bits to do.

Decorations have been up since last weekend and I'm on top of all the wrappinggrin But still awaiting arrival on some presents through the post and still have i think it's 4 more presents to get. I've also got to finish personalising dd1's main present which is a dolls house. I've also got food to buy but apart from a few extras my Xmas shop isn't really that different from my usual shop. I do need to decide whether to book an online slot or brave the shops though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now