Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a Santa doubter? This is the perfect response!

(24 Posts)
MaybeAnOverthinker Sat 05-Dec-15 09:48:37

I love this letter... Used it a few years ago but as that time of year rolls around again I thought it might be helpful to others!

Dear Lucy,
You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”
I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.
The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.
I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)
I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.
This won’t make you Santa, though.
Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.
It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.
Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.
With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.
So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.
I love you and I always will.
Mum x

ThomasRichard Sat 05-Dec-15 09:50:09

I really like that, thanks for sharing.

MaybeAnOverthinker Sat 05-Dec-15 09:50:48

I didn't write it, just sharing as I loved it when I saw it a few years ago!

Castrovalva Sat 05-Dec-15 10:06:21

Bugger, I have something in my eye

wyldstile Sat 05-Dec-15 10:08:14

Definitely something in mine too. No way will that letter have as much impact on a child as it will on the parent who sends it!

ChristmasZombie Sat 05-Dec-15 10:12:55

Is someone chopping onions in here? Sniff...

StillWearingOddSocks Sat 05-Dec-15 11:01:22

Oh bloody hell you've made me water too - & I'm in a cafe. AND DS believes!

Goztepe Sat 05-Dec-15 11:02:41

Thank you.

lucysmam Sat 05-Dec-15 12:09:07

I appear to be watering too! That's lovely.

I think this is the last year my nearly 9yo will believe fsad

sidsgranny Sat 05-Dec-15 15:40:40

Oh my, that's beautiful, thank you for sharing, Have tears streaming which is not helpful as we have visitors arriving shortly and i've just put my face on!!!

DS is 9 and I think this letter will be used next year.

katienana Sat 05-Dec-15 15:42:52

Love that. Quite nice to think I actually am Santa as well!!

MistressMerryWeather Sat 05-Dec-15 15:47:46

Oh that's lovely.

cravingcake Sat 05-Dec-15 17:06:23

My DC are 4 & almost 2 so just starting out really but this is lovely way to explain things as they get older.

Notimefortossers Sat 05-Dec-15 17:18:52

My DD is 7. This year and last I've been conscious that this year could be her last. Even though she's shown no signs of doubting. But it only takes that one kid at school to tell her and that's it. When the inevitable question comes I absolutely want to use this. Thank you

Chillywhippet Sat 05-Dec-15 17:30:18

Hmmm, lovely letter for parents. When my DC have asked if Santa is real I've just said,

"Some people believe he is real and some people believe he is a lovely story which makes Christmas more exciting and magical. It's up to you which you choose."

And they skip off happy to choose and be in on the magic and then really up the excitement for thier younger sibs.

Fiends have tried the 'We choose most of the presents but there are always a few surprises that Santa brings too...'

AnnaMarlowe Sat 05-Dec-15 17:38:36

I must be hard hearted - that's not doing it for me at all.

That's a response for a 12 year old. I don't think it would have been a suitable response for my sceptical 5 year old.

SummerHouse Sat 05-Dec-15 17:41:51

Beautiful. But struggling to read as its gone all blurred!fsmile

Snoopadoop Sat 05-Dec-15 17:48:55

I must be hard hearted - that's not doing it for me at all.

Nope not just you, does bugger all for me too.

QueenLaBeefah Sat 05-Dec-15 17:50:11

Pass the sick bucket.

Glassofwineneeded Sat 05-Dec-15 18:20:36

Awwww I think it's lovely - made my eyes water.
Think this will be my last year for my almost 9 year old ds believing. That makes my eyes water too - I'm a wuss!

AnnaMarlowe Sat 05-Dec-15 18:22:14

Snoop grin

Orange1969 Sat 05-Dec-15 18:26:14

"Mom" is an Americanism so perhaps not suitable for children outside of the USA.

Why give a child a long winded, saccharine explanation that is not, in fact, an explanation at all?

Yes, "Mom", you ARE Santa or Father Christmas as some call him.

MaybeAnOverthinker Sat 05-Dec-15 19:30:26

I believe it was started in the USA! Anyone who is able to look at it long enough without vomiting could change it to suit them! grin

Orange1969 Sat 05-Dec-15 19:42:29

I think that children sometimes play along with the Father Christmas myth to please their parents.

I think that I was about nine by the time I worked out the truth. However, I pretended to believe for some years afterwards.

I never told my own child that FC was real and he knew the truth from the start. I don't think it affected him adversely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now