Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for Xmas lunch starter please!!

(32 Posts)
Busyworkingmum71 Fri 04-Dec-15 23:49:38

Last year did filo pastry cases with king prawn salad, have done smoked salmon to death and we will be having with scrambled egg for breakfast this year. Catering for 4 adults and 4 kids (7-17)

What do you all do for a starter, need some new ideas!!

Thanks x

kateandme Fri 04-Dec-15 23:57:39

Roll out bought pastry and create a almost pizza style slice,cut into squares.eqaully mould the pastry into muffin tins...make a base of sauteed tomato,onion,pepper,chorizo let it cook all juicily together on the hob,then fill ur cases .ican then add cheese to melt?an egg?herbs. But that base is Devine.u can even stir it through para,rice,couscous.top with pine nuts...list is endless

Busyworkingmum71 Sat 05-Dec-15 00:03:38

Thanks Kate, that sounds yummy, but I should have mentioned that PIL are coming, FIL eats like a sparrow, and looks askance at anything with calories.

Trying to find something that he might try sad

whojamaflip Sat 05-Dec-15 00:13:37

We are having champagne and Camembert soup - one of the Covent Garden co recipes from their 365 soup book. I'm not making it - my best friend is bringing the starter and other friends the desert.

doodlejump1980 Sat 05-Dec-15 00:14:05

Get some puff pastry, cut into squares. Cut some pear slices, arrange in middle of pastry, crumble some blue cheese on top and bake. Serve with some balsamic dressed leaves. Or do the same with cranberries and Brie. Lush. smile

Blondie1984 Sat 05-Dec-15 00:14:30

Could you do prawns again maybe in a posh prawn cocktail? Or melon and Parma ham?

robindeer Sat 05-Dec-15 00:20:20

I have a similar dilemma and was considering something like this-http://m.tesco.com/mt/legacy.realfood.tesco.com/recipes/chestnut-and-mushroom-pate.html

Blu Sat 05-Dec-15 00:29:48

Christmas lunch needs no starter !

ecuse Sat 05-Dec-15 00:45:59

I don't get starter for Christmas lunch. Surely it just takes up valuable space for Turkey and spuds? But, if you must, how about antipasto sharing platters? Then people can eat what they want and your killjoy FIL need not look askance.

Iwasbornin1993 Sat 05-Dec-15 03:00:32

We usually have a choice of pâté or soup but to be honest, it just fills me up and ends up distracting from the main event!

AGapInTheMarket Sat 05-Dec-15 03:40:57

I'm going to try making a terrine. We love them and always get them if on a menu and don't look toooo tricky. Plus it's make-ahead so can be in the fridge for a couple of days beforehand.

VinoTime Sat 05-Dec-15 04:00:24

Prawn cocktail - you could add all sorts to it to make it more of a seafood cocktail if you wanted. Crayfish tails and crab meat go very well with prawns.

Lentil and vegetable soup is always tasty, super easy to make and cheap as chips - massive pot of boiling water, 2 x ham stock cubes, 2 x vegetable stock cubes, half a sieve of rinsed red lentils, lots of finely chopped/grated carrots and a couple of chunky leeks cut up nice and small. Boil to death and you're done.

Pate with melba toast and a salad garnish.

Bruschetta - lots of different creative options available with this. Garlic mushrooms is one of my favourites instead of tomato and cheese!

Fried Camembert/goats cheese/mozzarella bites with salsa and salad.

King prawns and sweet chilli dip.

Mini antipasti selections.

Melon balls (use an ice cream scoop to make it look super fancy) and maybe puree some strawberries and raspberries to make a lovely, thick dipping sauce.

Asparagus wrapped in parma ham and cheese. My dad made this once without the cheese but made the most delicious lemon mayonnaise to go with it. Was really tasty!

Lots of salad options if you FIL calorie counts.

fsmile

SymphonyofShadows Sat 05-Dec-15 06:25:14

I don't bother with a starter but I sometimes fill those mini croustade shell things with M&S prawn cocktail and pass those around with an aperitif

Busyworkingmum71 Sat 05-Dec-15 06:32:33

Thank you all, some really tasty lovely ideas! I have been thinking asparagus (bc DH and I lurve it) not sure the kids will tho. Could do Parma ham and melon for them...

Pate is another contender, cos I luvs it.

Loungingbutnotforlong Sat 05-Dec-15 19:59:22

Delia's prawn cocktail is a winner! fsmile flowers

trixymalixy Sat 05-Dec-15 20:04:26

Salmon mousse
Lobster bisque
Scallops

Polkadot1974 Sat 05-Dec-15 20:19:29

I'm struggling too. Plain food loving I laws and just acquired two more heads. Usually make twice baked Gruyere and mushroom soufflés but cba this year
Shall read with interest but did. Nice celeriac soup last year. I resent being too full though and soup is bad for that

Laquila Sat 05-Dec-15 20:26:28

Antipasti is excellent as a Xhristmas starter - I usually buy everything pre-prepared...:

- artichoke hearts
- baby mozzarella
- sundried tomatoes
- Parma ham/salami
- rocket

Maybe the odd breadstick to go with it?!

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sat 05-Dec-15 21:05:08

op we strayed off smoked salmon last year and it was a disaster.

MTWTFSS Sat 05-Dec-15 21:07:32

Individual cheese fondue.

MTWTFSS Sat 05-Dec-15 21:09:47

Arancini with a side salad?

LuluJakey1 Sat 05-Dec-15 21:12:15

We never have a starter.

janethegirl2 Sat 05-Dec-15 21:12:25

Filo pastry tarts with cranberry and Brie. Or homemade pate and fresh Melba toast.

Melon n Parma ham skewers is easy with no cooking.

Or the obsequious prawn cocktail!

cashewnutty Sat 05-Dec-15 21:13:09

My DD2 has requested melon and parma ham this year for the starter. It is light but delicious.

HippyChickMama Sat 05-Dec-15 21:13:49

I'm doing individual baked camembert with onion chutney and mini petit pains, in the past I've done sliced baguette spread with cranberry sauce and topped with brie then toasted. We like cheese in our house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now