Talk

Advanced search

What is a Christmas eve box?

(19 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Fri 04-Dec-15 08:33:49

?? we are two adults one dd aged 10. what do i do?

eckythumpenallthat Fri 04-Dec-15 08:43:19

Well you don't have to do anything. I'd never heard of them till I read about them on here. But looks like people tend to out in some Xmas PJs, a Xmas book and/or DVD, a Xmas mug and hot chocolate or an Xmas activity

Northumberlandlass Fri 04-Dec-15 08:47:02

I don't call it a Christmas Eve box, but DS will get a cheap & tacky Christmas Onesie / mug for hot chocolate and sometimes a Christmas DVD to watch before bed!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 04-Dec-15 09:24:08

Christmas Eve Hamper fgrin

My DC are teenagers now (16 and 13.6), we get films on Netflicks so no DVDs

They get a box (this year I have some striped canvas baskets from my Yankee Candle delivery)

New PJs (Christmas ones for DD and some wintery ones for DS)
Jar of sweets
One of those packs of Lindt mini figures
Bath bomb for the Christmas Eve bath (once a year fwink )
Used to do an annual but they are ££ and they don't read them now. I got one of those Zen colouring books for DD and some nice pens.
DS will get a puzzle book.
Sachet of hot chocolate (we don't do mugs now, they have a collection)
Small box biscuits

When they were little , we used to take them out for a walk, and I'd run back into the house to "check the back door was locked" but I put the Hampers in front of the fireplace for them.
It's not (IMO) over the top, they got things they 'needed' anyway. But it just signalled the winding down , bath,pjs,drink,bedtime.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 04-Dec-15 09:43:05

oh, it sounds like a nice idea, DD needs some new pjs (and is slightly obsessed with not having new stuff - my dd is a strange one grin) so this would be a nice excuse. So could do, new PJs, hot chocolate (i like it even if she doesn't) and a christmas movie to watch while dd plays on her kindle still

chanie44 Fri 04-Dec-15 10:00:59

My children get:

New pjs (which are always handy)
New toothbrush
Magic reindeer food (porridge and glitter to sprinkle on the lawn)
Hot chocolate

This year, I'm going to add a bath bomb as they seem to like them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 04-Dec-15 10:05:33

If you do a bath bomb , put it well away from the chocolate otherwise everything flipping tastes of it (yes Lush, I'm looking at you)

I put ours in a cellophane bag tied to the side.

I did reindeer food years ago.
Porridge, coloured sugar (shake sugar in a bag with a drop of food colour) and edible glitter (Lakeland edible stars that I had left over)

DD shook hers over the patches of snow we had ............lovely
DS lobbed his in a lump where it sat like pink vomit till March (ok, I lie. Till I scooped it up)

Raxacoricofallapatorius Fri 04-Dec-15 10:11:22

We do pyjamas, a film, a book, hot chocolate and reindeer food.

The box is card board and full of shredded newspaper like a bran tub.

If you do reindeer food, make sure you use edible glitter or sugar because of the birds.

Somebody will be along in a second to be snippy about spoilt children, commercial crap and Americanisation of a religious festival.

Hopefully Fri 04-Dec-15 10:15:50

We do pjs, Christmas dvd (although not sure how I'm going to top Arthur Christmas), Christmas book, homemade peppermint bark, popcorn (unpopped, for extra popping fun) and hot choc sachets and marshmallows.

youngestisapsycho Fri 04-Dec-15 10:18:12

We are doing them for the first time this year... sounds fun, and they are only getting things they would have got anyway, so no extra costs.

neddle Fri 04-Dec-15 10:25:39

I do a pair of pjs each. One year I got the Santa's Coming to ... book. You can get them for lots of different places and the year I got mine, Amazon kept dropping the price so they ended up refunding me about half what I paid.
Last year I made a huge mistake - I'd been thinking about getting the kids personalised coke bottles, but the offer ran out, so I got them 500ml bottles with the reindeer names on. Also put some chocolate in the box. Then I expected them to go to sleep after watching a movie and drinking coke fblush.

QueenYnci Fri 04-Dec-15 10:34:04

We've been doing this a couple of years now. It's nothing complicated and mainly stuff we would be getting anyway. This year will be a onesie, slippers, book, DVD to watch that afternoon, cuddly toy, hot chocolate, chocolate of some kind and a nice new tree decoration. We put it all in one of those storage boxes you can sit on (a fire engine one this year) so it doubles as extra space for toys the next day.

moopymoodle Fri 04-Dec-15 11:19:22

I have a giant red santa sack for ours, it's for both children and DH and myself.

Inside we have new PJS and socks, lovely festive bath bombs, festive bubble bath, Christmas activity pack for both children, gingerbread decorating kit, xmas film, popcorn, santa key, Christmas story book for bed and I put in various bits do we can have a hot chocolate bar throughout the day smile

Yarpyarp Sat 05-Dec-15 23:04:30

Who do you say it's from? Yourselves? Santa? Santa's helpers?

rubymallorywhite Sat 05-Dec-15 23:11:45

Jeez how times change,
Lovely idea !!!

When I was wee I used to get to open a Christmas present on Christmas Eve & it was such a highlight as Christmas Eve used to feel like the longest day ever !

Goodbetterbest Sat 05-Dec-15 23:28:30

A bauble for the Christmas tree, the idea being when they eave home they have a collection to take with them.

Otherwise, pjs, hot chocolate,
Biscuits, DVD, chocolates, bag of popcorn.

fuzzpig Sun 06-Dec-15 08:43:17

We don't actually have a box but the elves deliver pyjamas (for the last few years it's been onesies). Often it includes a tree decoration each, and something to do before bed, like a festive book (jolly christmas postman last year) or I might get a jigsaw. This year it's an old animated film (Quest for Camelot) - DH mentioned it a while ago so it's kind of an extra present for him really fgrin

Over the years we've done a bath bomb (Lush robot shaped), a boat for the bath, mugs with marshmallows, a cuddly toy and that sort of thing. It's varied each year so the DCs don't really have any 'expectations' that we have to live up to IYSWIM other than the fact they know they get PJs, they really look forward to it (as do I, they used to get lovely jammies from PIL twice a year so it was my one chance to choose them myself grin)

Cleansheetsandbedding Sun 06-Dec-15 08:47:32

It's another excuse to make parents buy more crap and other parents feel shit of the can't afford it.

fgrin

CarlaJones Sun 06-Dec-15 08:59:38

Mine have a gingerbread house kit to make each, an annual each and one of those magic crystal growing Christmas trees or snowmen. (One between them.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now