Talk

Advanced search

What on earth can I buy for my elderly grandmother?

(19 Posts)
Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 17:03:46

She is 95, and back in the summer she moved from a supported bungalow into a care home. She's quite frail and registered blind.

I usually give her a nice framed photo of the children, but her eyesight has now deteriorated to the point that she can't actually see them.

Previous years I've made her stuff like cushions, a quilt, etc, but she doesn't have a whole load of room anymore.

Fussy about smellies and not a fan of biscuits and chocolates.

I've bought a set of shower gel, hand cream, etc, from the only brand she'll use but it's not very exciting.

I'm stumped! Any ideas please?

Thank you!

Hygge Thu 03-Dec-15 17:07:06

An audio book and something to listen to it on?

And a recording of the children rather than a photo. They could all write a short message to say and then read something from a favourite book or sing something?

RideEmCowgirl Thu 03-Dec-15 17:08:32

Did she like reading? Could you get her a talking book

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 17:09:41

Sorry, I should have said in my OP, we've bought her audio books and she won't listen to them

She likes the radio but we all clubbed together and bought her a really swish one last year

A recording of the kids would be good

MrsPear Thu 03-Dec-15 17:10:15

I am in similar circumstances with my nan and I have bought her a naice pretty jumper. She won't be really aware but the care home insist she is properly washed and dressed daily - she even has nails done and hair set weekly.

SSargassoSea Thu 03-Dec-15 17:10:50

When are hyacinth bulbs available - they smell very sweet when in flower. Perhaps you can buy one potted and about to flower.

gleam Thu 03-Dec-15 17:13:05

Maybe a nature sounds cd?
A lap blanket?
A scented plant for her windowsill? One where the leaves are scented, like a geranium.

Jenda Thu 03-Dec-15 17:14:33

What about those microwavable slipper boots so she can be all toasty?

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 17:14:35

Oooh, actually, I could pay for a few visits from the hair dresser.

She used to love getting her hair set, but unfortunately her eyesight deteriorated quite rapidly and she lost confidence to go out and thought it was a waste of money

Thanks!

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 17:16:37

Sorry, lots of posts.

She likes hyacinths too, I vaguely remember my brother and I keeping them in the airing cupboard to give to her for Christmas when we were kids

29PaddingtonSt Thu 03-Dec-15 17:20:23

What about a twiddle blanket or muff. They are normally used for those with dementia but I'm just thinking that because she's blind she may like the texture and either one will keep her warm.

f1fan2015 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:23:07

My 90 year old gran is in a care home and is lucky enough to have a private outdoor space attached to her room. In the past I have bought her a rose bush that can be either inside or outside and this year I have bought her an outdoor plant arrangement.

I am also stumped as to what else I can get her. Watching your thread to pick up ideas!

HerdOfRhino Thu 03-Dec-15 18:08:29

A really soft, snuggly hot water bottle cover with hot water bottle

Soft warm scarf, gloves and hat set

HerdOfRhino Thu 03-Dec-15 18:47:12

A selection of traditional sweets - Sugar Mice, Marzipan Fruits, Humbugs, Liquorice, Mint Imperials, Jelly Fruits, Walnut Whips etc

redshoeblueshoe Thu 03-Dec-15 18:56:36

There are lots of hyacinths around at the moment. Maybe find a mobile hairdresser. fsmile

TheSpectreOfMorningtonCrescent Thu 03-Dec-15 18:58:23

Hyacinths, my DM loved them and lily of the valley. Thompson and Morgan on line deliver in lovely pots and they bloom in time for Christmas.

RB68 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:10:16

talking bedside clock, try RNIB website

HerdOfRhino Thu 03-Dec-15 19:28:06

www.johnlewis.com/raeder-merry-christmas-music-box/p2010316?sku=234489753&kpid=234489753&s_kenid=32e1d992-717c-e469-9bd3-00000eebdf3b&s_kwcid=404x1270808&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Not sure if this is a silly idea, but this little music box is £6. fsmile

Tinklewinkle Fri 04-Dec-15 15:11:49

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've spoken to the hairdresser that comes to her home and opened a tab for a few weeks worth of shampoo and sets and I've got some hyacinths from the kids

A music box is actually an idea too, she used to have one on her dressing table until I broke it when I was 5. See if I can track something similar down to replace it - 35 years late!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now