Talk

Advanced search

Help - savoury choices for Xmas hamper

(9 Posts)
ifonly4 Thu 03-Dec-15 10:16:48

I'm doing a hamper - drink and sweet choices have been easy, but have difficulty with savoury choices. So far have cheese straws. I don't think the recipient would eat tinned meat and limits cheese intake. Any other ideas please that would be suitable for an elderly person.

putthePuffindown Thu 03-Dec-15 10:28:08

We had this issue! Tesco had some nice limited edition Oxo and Bisto tins recently and Lidl has some nice wee tins with herb/spice rubs for meat (quite traditional flavours like lemon herb for chicken etc).

If the recipient likes patè Lidl also had a nice presentation pack with 6 little jars (so nice and long life, doesn't need fridge till open). Other than that we've put in some naice crackers, chutneys, flavoured olive oils and nuts.

We debated about pestos and things like olives or sundried toms, but I don't think our recipient would like them

PerspicaciaTick Thu 03-Dec-15 10:31:36

Look out for the "Look what We found" range of food at Sainsburys and Waitrose.
www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/

Delicious, nothing in them except how you would cook at home. No need to chill.Perfect size for one person. Might be nice to add one or two for them to have on a day when they don't fancy cooking.

What about things like nuts and other nibbly snacks?

WowOoo Thu 03-Dec-15 10:36:59

Crackers, posh crisps, a salami or ham that doesn't need refrigeration, jam chutney, sea salt, nuts, soup in tins, a tea towel?!

I'd love a hamper with savoury stuff and a nice tea towel is always handy.

Nice crackers or biscuits for cheese? Something like quince paste, to go with cheese and biscuits? Posh soup in a can?

Snozberry Thu 03-Dec-15 12:01:06

Pickles and chutneys, crackers, naice crisps or popcorn?

givemushypeasachance Thu 03-Dec-15 12:30:35

Nice crackers and chutney always welcome here. Posh salt/pepper/herbs? Maybe some sort of fancy sandwich paste or pate, pickles/gherkins. Smoked garlic? My Mum has done foodie gifts in stockings for adult children and included things like those dried whole big chillis and that you rehydrate before using.

Allalonenow Thu 03-Dec-15 12:52:55

Lea & Perrins sauce
Tabasco sauce
Joe & Sephs popcorn
Gentleman's Relish
Posh sardines, eg Ortiz el Velero
Posh Tuna fillets in a jar
Dried mushrooms
Jar of saffron
Pink or black salt
Angostura Bitters
Pink or green peppercorns
Capers or caper berries
Hard boiled quails eggs
Caviar
Sainsburys Taste the Difference Mayonnaise

Allalonenow Thu 03-Dec-15 12:56:19

Merchant Gourmet or Jamie Oliver pouches of RTE rice/cous-cous/lentils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now