Talk

Advanced search

Do your Yr 4 children still believe? Mine saw one of her presents today!

(36 Posts)
Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 21:29:03

It was hidden in the car under a blanket and she pulled be blanket off and saw much coveted minecraft Lego box sticking out. There was gasp and a big smile and I told her eyes front! Father Christmas is watching! She was I characteristically quiet but smiley all the way to school.
She knows doesn't she, she's just chuffed she's getting it I think? Last couple of years lots of inquisitive questions about FC (my favourite age 6 was writing a note to him worrying he doesn't have a nice Xmas as he's so busy on Xmas Eve smile) - this yr NO questions at all. Think she doesn't want to hear the truth in case she doesn't get the presents.

So sad the magic is over and kicking myself!! Hoping she might still believe a tiny bit but I feel I've ruined it!

Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 21:29:48

Sorry iPhone typing

jelliebelly Wed 02-Dec-15 21:35:04

My y5 ds(10) still believes but reckon this has to be the last year - I'm very good at hiding stuff though!

Seeyounearertime Wed 02-Dec-15 21:37:58

I think we blew it last year. DD was only 1.6 by cChristmas. We'd been buying stuff for her am keeping the in our bedroom. Xmas comes and she opens, well almost opens, her gifts. But there's one, a picnic set,
"Oohh look what Santa brought you" we say,
"From your bedroom?" DD replies....
She'd only bloomin spotted it in our room, even though it was semi hidden etc.

Magic destroyed already. sad

Nearlyadoctor Wed 02-Dec-15 21:41:35

Do all your DD 's presents come from Father Christmas? Our DD 8.5 (Yr4) knows I buy presents and put them in one of the spare rooms, but those presents go under the tree and come from us. Her sack and one big present come from FC.
Can the Minecraft Lego not be from you?.

starry0ne Wed 02-Dec-15 21:47:46

My DS year 4... I am pretty convinced does not believe.. He spotted something in the back of the car to be retruned..He asked what it was ..I said keep your nose out..He said is it my Christmas present.. He has never asked it before..

I haven't asked him however I am convinced he knows

Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 21:54:07

Like a wally we've always done presents from Santa only unless from family/friends but we don't see family before Xmas generally so presents under tree are all from Santa. However this year I said that I've asked Santa to only bring 5 as there were too many last year (DH cross about my over buying!) I've obviously over bought again this year and COULD say that I've got them an extra one each from me and DH.....

ellenjames Wed 02-Dec-15 21:57:05

My 3 aged 10,(yr6),9 (yr5),6(yr2), still believe and they all still believe in the tooth fairy smile

Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 21:58:29

Seeyounearertime How old was your DD and what did you say? I've just remembered messing up a few years ago when I bought a cousin the same thing as a Santa Present (quite unusual headphones) and DD commented on the strange coincidence but definitely still believed. Could you have managed to pass off the bedroom present as a duplicate for someone?

My mum ruined the magic or I worked it out earlier than I can remember because I know I never had a big reveal and always knew it was my mum! Apparently spotted Santa having the same wrapping paper and handwriting as my mum early on!

5BlueHydrangea Wed 02-Dec-15 22:03:44

My dd has just turned 6 (year 1) and doesn't believe now!
She said 'I know who Father Christmas is... It's you!'
And 'you know the mince pie you put out for Father Christmas? You eat that don't you?'

Haven't actually admitted the truth but she is certainly unconvinced! Have made her promise not to share her thoughts with her friends who think otherwise!

ellenjames Wed 02-Dec-15 22:08:52

Fuckit I am right handed so write name tags left handed grin

Seeyounearertime Wed 02-Dec-15 22:10:38

Fuckitfay
She was 1.6yo, we didn't say anything, we laughed about it though.
I doubt she'll remember seeing it and we've done a better job of hiding them this year. grin

Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 22:14:59

seeyounearer I thought you meant it was an older sibling who commented on your 1.6 yr olds present ! She will definitely not remember and I'm amazed at her speech at that age! I've been buying presents for the older ones with my 2.2 year old in tow.... Hope she doesn't give the game away !

Fuckitfay Wed 02-Dec-15 22:16:40

ellen the elf who writes the tags for this house has very swirly elaborate writing, unlike the elf at my mum's house who was clearly a lazy bugger

phoenix1973 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:20:09

DD aged 9 believes. I hide the presents in the boot of the car in many thick sacks or in the loft.
I have never put tags or written on the presents. Too much of a giveaway.
She hasn't yet asked how SAnta knows which presents to put in which home!
Took her to see him on Sunday, she was happy.
Only a year or two at most though, I reckon.

bostonkremekrazy Wed 02-Dec-15 22:52:49

we dont write tags in our house.....we have a different paper each. i'm lazy grin

Cressandra Wed 02-Dec-15 23:02:36

Mine has suddenly shut up and stoppe asking awkward questions.

I think I'd take it as an opportunity and give them one thing each from you and DH this year. Other stuff can still be from santa. It gives her an 'out' if she wants to carry on believing.

megletthesecond Wed 02-Dec-15 23:09:09

9yo ds still seems to believe. I've only ever done small stocking presents from santa though . The big stuff comes from me and family.

His younger sister is slowly sussing it out though hmm.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 02-Dec-15 23:15:04

I do the different paper... not lazy ... time management

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 02-Dec-15 23:35:20

Seeyou, I don't reckon the magic has been destroyed. I really, really messed up with my niece when she was 3. We all went back to my parents house for Christmas and she was already there when we arrived. She was so excited and wanted to help us put all our presents under the tree.

My DS was only a baby at the time so I didn't think through the whole separating stocking presents from tree presents when packing up the car, so I said to my niece, "just slow down a bit because not all these presents are going under the tree...some are for DS's stocking..."

It just slipped out...I really kicked myself and her little face just dropped, eyes wide, totally confused. I was beating myself up about it for ages thinking that I'd destroyed the magic of Christmas for a 3yo. But anyway, she forgot and now age almost 10 she still whole-heartedly believes in Father Christmas, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny is I'm sure your little one will forget all it too!

oobedobe Thu 03-Dec-15 02:07:23

I try to be pretty vague, we do sack presents from Santa and one main thing off their list. They might get some other stuff off their list from family though, as I use it as a guideline as what to buy.
Sack stuff is more things I know they will like rather than requested items.

Santa doesn't bring ipads, bikes (or other gadgets) in our family, just toys. No way Santa is getting the credit for those things!

My 7 yo had more questions last year, this year she is going with the flow/magic etc. Don't try to pass the Lego as 'from Santa' and it should be ok.

Pranmasghost Thu 03-Dec-15 08:29:32

My year4 dgs really believes still but it may be the last year I fear.

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Thu 03-Dec-15 08:36:53

My year 4 niece definitely still believes. I would give the present from you and not santa and keep the magic alive a bit longer

CinnamonStar Thu 03-Dec-15 08:57:25

Mine is year 3. I don't know if she believes or not, usually I think she does, then sometimes I think she suspects. But she is more the type to go along with the magic and blur the lines between fantasy and reality very happily. My younger child is the type to work it all out logically and challenge me on it, but I hope we have a few years yet.

We only have stockings from FC, and they are small things so easier to keep well hidden. So if DC saw a present, it would be disappointing, but wouldn't shake faith in FC as I would make sure it was under the tree from DH and me instead.

SingaporeSlinky Thu 03-Dec-15 10:03:31

I agree, make that gift from you and not Father Christmas.

I keep reading about adults who, as kids, started to suspect when they realised Father Christmas had the same wrapping paper or handwriting as their parents, so I'm using a totally different paper for my DC, just brown craft paper with nice ribbons etc and silver glittery initial tags. I've stocked up on packs of initial tags so I won't need to write on them at all. Don't want a little thing like wrapping paper to give the whole game away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now