Talk

Advanced search

Favourite (and most hated) Christmas songs

(16 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 02-Dec-15 15:25:01

Favourite has always been Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone.

Least favourite is Stop The Cavalry Jona (I want to say Lomu but I know that's not right!)

MockTheWeek Wed 02-Dec-15 15:33:41

I agree with Shakin' Stevens as the favourite. I genuinely don't think there is a Christmas song I don't like blush

NappyValleyHippyCrack Wed 02-Dec-15 15:37:55

I love the Waitresses Christmas wrapping
Share this video
ink{http://youtu.be/nud2TQNahaU\youtu.be/nud2TQNaha]]U}

Can't abide anything by Cliff Richard.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 02-Dec-15 15:38:41

I hate them all.

chickensaresafehere Wed 02-Dec-15 15:42:58

White wine in the sun by the glorious Tim Minchin is my favourite.
Don't like many others at all really!!

FretYeNot Wed 02-Dec-15 15:46:59

My favourite is the Jonah Louie 'stop the cavalry' , and the one that sounds like tubular bells.

I hate most of them, but I reserve a special hatred in my heart for this fucker: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mWioKBjCA0 (You can never do a tango with an eskimo) . mainly because once it gets into your head, you can't unhear the damn thing.

YakTriangle Wed 02-Dec-15 15:48:22

I don't like any of them. I particularly hate that one that says 'simply having a wonderful Christmas time' and anything by bloody Cliff bloody Richard.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 02-Dec-15 16:37:42

Love Love love "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues ft Kirsty MacColl

I can't abide Wizard "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day"

And though Macca is unpopular, I have a soft spot for The Frogs Chorus fgrin

RosaBee Wed 02-Dec-15 16:40:47

I love most but hate mull of kintyre and anything by cliff Richard!

Sgtmajormummy Wed 02-Dec-15 16:51:37

I can't stand "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. It's the line "Friends of old who WERE dear to us gather near to us once more." that makes me reach for the OFF button sad.

My favourite carol is "See amid the Winter's Snow" and modern song is "The Caravan of Love" 1980s version.

millefeuille1 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:01:36

I love most, especially Shakin Stevens, Wizzard, Mike Oldfield and Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues. Not keen on Jona Louie or Chris Rea. Carols - it's a rare one I don't like but I Saw Three Ships doesn't make my heart sing!

Hygge Wed 02-Dec-15 20:24:09

My favourite has always been Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, especially if Frank Sinatra is singing it. It always made me happy but now I find it a little bit sad as well.

I also love Silver Bells and O Holy Night, which was the song that was playing when we had DD, so now it makes me think of her. It's a beautiful song to be able to remember her by.

Of the more modern songs, I love Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens, although every year it surprises me to realise that Shaky is apparently one of my favourite singers. fgrin

And sorry OP but I love Jonah Louie and his Stop The Cavalry song.

Cheating slightly but I hate those Christmas songs that are not actually Christmas songs, they just happened to be Number 1 at Christmas one year so end up on all the compilation albums.

And I really hate the newer versions of Feed The World. The original is okay, the new ones are crap.

And I don't like the Elvis Blue Christmas one either.

I'm not keen on Baby It's Cold Outside either. I don't like how he's persuading her to stay and puts something in her drink.

Weirdly, I like the one that has the lyric "the Christmas you get you deserve" in it, but when you listen to it it's actually really bleak and miserable, but it sounds so cheerful. I think it's called I Believe In Father Christmas, but he definitely doesn't if you listen to the song.

For a traditional carol I love The Holly and The Ivy sung by a choir, any choir. It's just beautiful.

janaus Wed 02-Dec-15 21:32:56

My favourite is LIttle Drummer Boy. I am thinking of buying Kylie's new Xmas album.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 02-Dec-15 21:55:39

I loathe Paul McCartney with a passion but I love the Wings one about wonderful Christmas time. And Shakey obviously. In fact I like most Christmas songs, simply because they're Christmas songs. Except for anything by bloody Cliff Richard. They always sound like your grandad crooning.

jamtartandcustard Wed 02-Dec-15 22:37:05

Silent night is my firm fave. And I do secretly love a bit of cliff Richard at Christmas.
Can't stand stop the cavalry.

Jojoanna Wed 02-Dec-15 22:44:07

I love I believe in Father Christmas . The Christmas you get you deserve !
Plus wings having a wonderful christmastime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now