Talk

Advanced search

Gift for Nursery Staff - Seeds?

(19 Posts)
LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 01-Dec-15 19:34:58

DS will be moving up to the preschool room in January, so I'd like to get a little something to thank the staff that have looked after him for the past 2 years. I was going to get a tin of chocs, but last year they had about 8 tins stacked up in the staff room...

Would a basket with packets of seeds be OK? At least one per staff member with some extras? They are doing up the nursery garden so any spare packs could be used up (will make sure they are direct sow seeds). Or is that a really naff idea?

Any other suggestions?

Didiusfalco Tue 01-Dec-15 20:28:07

Um, i would say no. The weather is grim, its not a time of year you would plant much unless you had a green house, and its a gift that involves work for the recipient. If I received this I would really appreciate it because of the thought, but would most likely not use.

Didiusfalco Tue 01-Dec-15 20:30:20

...could you bake something or make something? Ive worked in education before and we all loved it when a parent made us samosas.

Jo4040 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:36:24

No don't do that for the reasons as above.

I got each member if staff a little pocket mirror last year to keep in their purse. Tiny and usefull every day.

attheendoftheday Tue 01-Dec-15 20:50:50

I would like it personally, but it would be a bit of a risk.

A safer bet would be nice tea/coffee for the staff room. Or wine.

SolsburyHell Tue 01-Dec-15 20:56:07

But surely the seeds will be part of their work? So a present to the nursery as a whole. If you want to thank the staff, buy a nice tin of biscuits. Yes they may have a few but who doesn't like biscuits?!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 01-Dec-15 21:01:36

Well, they were giving the tins of chocolates and biscuits away last year - they had a charity raffle! Mirrors are nice but there are 3 men on the staff so probably not to their taste.

I've trawled so many threads on so many forums and the difference of opinion over a suitable gift is phenomenal. I guess you can't please everyone!

superram Tue 01-Dec-15 21:04:18

A lottery ticket each, posh soap and hand cream for staff loos.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Tue 01-Dec-15 21:05:08

I wouldn't do seeds alone as it's not something for them but for their workplace.

Nice christmas beer for the men and hundreds of choices for the ladies.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 01-Dec-15 21:05:09

Oh, and would love to do wine but can't afford it.

I thought home made was a no-no? Seen lots of comments on other forums from teachers saying they won't eat home made stuff as they don't know what's in them.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 01-Dec-15 21:07:08

Costa or Starbucks voucher?

Pommes Tue 01-Dec-15 21:08:06

www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/171986144120 I hope this link works, I got these for my son's nursery teachers. It's a large preschool with lots of teachers, I thought they could have one bath bomb each....

Jo4040 Tue 01-Dec-15 21:09:37

No some of them won't eat it.
Wine zzzz
chocolates. Zzzzzz
Biscuits zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Bath stuff zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Iv got them a Luxury cracker each for Christmas in a tall gift bag and I'll put something else inside which I'm pondering on.

Got to be cheap tho.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 01-Dec-15 21:11:20

I was a nursery nurse.

I would not be that impressed with a packet of seeds. Sorry.

Our rule at the nursery was if it was a general box of biscuits/sweets/chocolate then it would be put in the staff room and then shared out, any gifts with our name on or specifically ven to us could be kept.

If you want to buy something for the staff in their room; magazine subscription, moisturisers [we are constantly washing hands] lovely hot chocolate etc for lunch time drinks.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 01-Dec-15 21:19:59

Hmm. Realistically on my limited budget I can't get anything they'll like.

Might just stick to a tin of chocs, at least the raffle will have something that way! Hopefully they'll appreciate the thought behind it if not the actual gift.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 01-Dec-15 23:27:28

You could get wee personal boxes of chocs, candles, toiletries from
boots 3for2, flowers or a mini bottle of wine and wee pack of 99p chocs. Nice to get something for themselves. As a teacher I love some homemade gifts - from the families I know observe some hygiene rules!! Some def don't - not saying that is you op obviously!!

VoldemortsBaubles Wed 02-Dec-15 11:49:29

OP, it might look like they get loads of tins of sweets but if it's anything like our nursery, we save them then share them out so everybody has 1 or 2 tins of sweets to take home when we break up.

LibidinousTurkey Wed 02-Dec-15 11:56:23

I saw a picture once of hand decorated plant pots. They had a small ruler on and the words "thank you for helping me grow"

You could buy cheap terracotta pots (£1 or so each) decorate them and pop a small plant in (tiny poinsettias are a couple of pounds each or you could plant a single bulb)

LibidinousTurkey Wed 02-Dec-15 11:57:38

Something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now