Talk

Advanced search

Hexbug help please!

(12 Posts)
Fabsolutely Mon 30-Nov-15 09:11:03

I'm thinking about getting some hexbugs for my 6yo ds but don't really know where to start. I'm guessing the bugs are more exciting than the environments and he would probably like to set up his own for them anyway - does that work?

Also - is this the right age group for them? Are they something that his 10yo brother would like too?

What would be the best things to start with? Relatives are all asking for ideas so I can add different bits to his wish list.

Thank you!

Fabsolutely Mon 30-Nov-15 09:13:09

Also - nano v2, nano newton, nano transformer?! I'm flummoxed!

LaughingHyena Mon 30-Nov-15 09:42:18

I think DS got his first hexbugs about 6, and has enjoyed them on and off for a couple of years. Once you've set up a track and put the bugs in they are cool to watch for a while but that's about it.

We've had limited success with creating our own mazes for them. The bugs need to be on a smooth surface to work. Lego worked OK, but it was challenging to make the tunnels bug enough for the bugs to turn round, they tended to get stuck in 90degreee corners. I suspect all the habitat bits are hexagonal for a reason other than looks.

I think the nano newtons are the same as they original nanos, there are several different sets to collect. The nanoV2 have little "legs" on the top too so can climb up tubes. Our poundshop sometimes has knock off hexbug nanos, which work in all the habitats except the zip line. The little clips for that don't fit them.

We have the originals, the habitat sets are getting a bit harder to find but when we have found the them prices have been much better. Just bought the construction habitat for a friends DS in Tesco for around £12. The hive is nice too, and folds up to keep the bugs inside.

The hexbug transformers are more similar to the transformers cars, they are a lot bigger than the others and as far as I know don't move.

DingbatsFur Mon 30-Nov-15 09:47:54

The hexbug robots were a success here. After the initial excitement on xmas day the one who gets the most joy from the small hexbugs is the cat.

LittleMissGreen Mon 30-Nov-15 09:59:08

Hexbugs V2 are the most popular here. DS2 is now 9 and still plays with them. The V2 tracks join up with the non V2 tracks, so we have a V2 track, zipline and glow in the dark track all used together. The transformer hexbugs were a bit of a one day wonder for us.

DrasticAction Mon 30-Nov-15 10:04:02

op there are great deals on h and tracks at the moment, places like the entertainrer have them half price.

BornToFolk Mon 30-Nov-15 10:10:34

Perfect age for Hexbugs, IMHO! DS has a few of the Nano ones, both V1 and V2 and a few of the environments and they've been one of his favourite toys for a couple of years. They are also a massive hit with any children that come round to play.

The V2 Nano Hive is a good starter set and often on offer. DS really enjoys putting together different tracks for them, that's a big part of the play appeal for him.

Buy a shit-load of spare batteries...they don't last long!

Cressandra Mon 30-Nov-15 10:25:49

We have 2 big sets and a couple of extra bugs, seems about right. Ours are v1 because they are old but the idea of the v2 climbing up sounds very cool.

They are very appealing, the sort of thing adults end up playing with after the kids have wandered off.

I disagree with you about the bugs vs habitats actually. Think of it like a train track. The train might be the most important bit but a boxful of track pieces and special features adds a lot to the play value.

PresidentUnderwood Mon 30-Nov-15 10:28:29

It's easy to add to set with second hand bugs and track.

As PP have said buy shed load dog battered off eBay and small screw driver, then teach DC how to replace batteries

PresidentUnderwood Mon 30-Nov-15 10:29:41

'Dog battered'?!?

Shed load of batteries. Bloody iPhone autocorrect

Fabsolutely Mon 30-Nov-15 11:33:54

Thank you everyone, really helpful. Will go and have a look online, see what I can find!

BlueChampagne Mon 30-Nov-15 13:03:44

10yo brother might like the big one you build yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now