Talk

Advanced search

Help..too many to buy for.

(7 Posts)
revealall Sun 29-Nov-15 16:21:33

So I have three families that have 3 children each to buy for. They are very special to me ( two families are relatives )and I will be seeing them all Christmas week.
I usually buy a joint present for the parents such as a bottle of spirits or port and small individual presents for the kids.
It's quite tricky though as families with 3 children already have lots of stuff and I don't want to be the Auntie buying dull or dud gifts. So it's usually closer to a tenner for each child and £15 for the parents. Which is loads added up.
Even if a buy them a board game to all share ( which is tricky with age gaps) that's still £20 each family.

Then I have 3 significant friends birthdays, one for every week in December and two of the people are throwing non birthday related parties in addition! That means double presents ( Christmas and birthday) plus some hostess gift.

It's just DS and myself so we always get really nice presents from the big families as there us just the two of us.

No one else seems to buying for quite so many people. Is it just me? What do other people do?

jamtartandcustard Sun 29-Nov-15 16:35:35

I cry. No not really but advance military style planning is involved.
From 20th Nov - 17 Jan I have: dh, dsis, dnan, bil, ds2, dd1, plus Christmas with 4 dc's of our own and expecting another baby any day so next year we will have another birthday and Christmas to buy for.
I think for the families presents, do a hamper of joint presents for adults and kids - chocolates, bath bombs, card game etc. I can't offer any other help, just wanted to say you are not alone

curriegirl Sun 29-Nov-15 17:36:50

What about a cinema voucher for the three families?

curriegirl Sun 29-Nov-15 17:38:02

3 friends birthdays what about s bottle of fizz each? You will get good deals in the supermarkets just now.

scarlets Sun 29-Nov-15 17:48:04

When's your birthday? A month or so before it, tell your friends that you don't want to do birthday present swapping any more, you just want quality time with them, so they needn't buy you anything. Then, you're out of the birthday loop, which can get ridiculous and costly. Doesn't help this year though, I know!

LongHardStare Sun 29-Nov-15 17:48:46

Board game for each family (choose a good one and get the same for all three families), and a job lot of nice prosecco for all the birthdays and other parties.

revealall Sun 29-Nov-15 18:55:15

Thanks. I feel bad for the December birthdays as they always complain about joint Christmas/ birthday presents and ones that come wrapped in seasonal paper. I don't think a bottle would cut it especially if they are doing parties with lots of bottles anyway.

Cinema voucher thing may work. I will look and see if they do a family one.
Hamper is a great idea for the family with older children. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now