Talk

Advanced search

Kindle for 6yo?

(8 Posts)
inthetide Sat 28-Nov-15 22:31:47

Dd1 (9) is getting a kindle for Christmas, which is right up her street and a nice you're-not-getting-an-iPad compromise. Dd2 (6) wants everything that dd1 has, but we are wondering how useful kindle is for 6yos? Are the picture books picturey? Is there much of a range for early readers? I've tried looking but am not getting far as I'm not used to dealing with kindle searches. The books for 1-2 look pretty advanced to me!

Or any alternative ideas for 6yo which will be enough compensation for sister getting a kindle?

frazzled74 Sat 28-Nov-15 22:44:19

I've just bought 4 year old the kindle fire for £34.99,she will mainly use it for audio books for now .

AndNowItsSeven Sat 28-Nov-15 22:48:08

Frazzled do you know you can't store audio books on the memory card.

Noeuf Sat 28-Nov-15 22:50:15

My four never missed the kindle fires for reading if I'm honest - games, Netflix, you tube videos of cats falling off things, but never a book. However they are brilliant, and I don't regret buying them. I do regret the leap pads, kurios and other pretend tablets.

inthetide Sat 28-Nov-15 22:58:51

Hmm, not so keen on the fire. I'm trying to avoid all-singing and dancing technology for as long as possible as dd1 in particular is a screen magnet, and comes away from screen time in a very difficult mood.

wanderingwondering Sat 28-Nov-15 23:02:36

Dd got a kindle fire for her 6th birthday. She doesn't like reading on it (loves 'normal' books). She has also tried reading on my basic kindle and doesn't like that either.
She does use it for Netflix and CBeebies and a couple of drawing apps but not much else

Nearlyadoctor Sun 29-Nov-15 08:53:53

inthetide I thought we'd probably have to give in and go down the iPad/ kindle fire route this year with DD 8.5 but thankfully she's asked mainly for Lego. She's an avid reader and have bought lots of books and will probably as with your DD go for an ereader kindle for her 9th birthday.

Have you looked at the Leap pads for your younger daughter ? We bought one when DD was 5 and she really enjoyed it - a good range of games but along a learning theme. Also she could take pictures and edit them etc. They seem fairly reasonably priced especially if you don't go for the latest model just out. Otherwise a 2ds is a bit more grown up again with some nice games - animal crossing / Nintendo dogs.

DD isn't that technology orientated but does enjoy playing on a console in fits and starts.

RuthieBabeee Sun 29-Nov-15 09:19:49

We have these www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VLO38JE, had them about a year and they're great, can't rate them highly enough as a kids tablet. The reviews on Amazon for them are great, on that link they're reviewed as 4.6 stars out of 5 based on over 530 reviews.
They have the advantage of having no adverts, you have proper Android rather than the Fire version and that means you can install Google Apps from the PlayStore, eg YouTube.
If you want to use YouTube on the Fire you'd have use the web browser or use a third-party app and they're mostly a bit rubbish. I know that the Fire isn't as limited as it used to be now that there's the Underground section on the Amazon Appstore but its still the poor relation compared to Google Play Store and some of the games and apps they will want won't be available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now