Talk

Advanced search

Vintage Christmas...

(14 Posts)
ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 13:47:00

Was just browsing ebay and came across an Avon Pretty Peach soap on a rope.

God, how I wanted everything in the Avon books in the run up to Christmas...I remember one year getting a green glass stocking filled with some perfume, and the boxes of soaps were always on my list.

I was thinking of putting together a 70s stylee hamper of goodies for my Mum, vintage Avon etc. Just daft stuff.

Not necessarily only smellies, but maybe a chocolate orange and some After 8s as well.

Roll up roll up with your ideas oh wise Mners of vintage years santa

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 28-Nov-15 13:51:54

Ooh I remember getting the sets of three Avon soaps too.
I got squirrels, DSis got kittens in Christmas stockings shaped soaps. I was madly envy even though after one use the soaps just look like a pastel turd.

You need Snowballs (I saw a pack of 4 this week, one of the big supermarkets)
Twiglets
Matchmakers

Will think of more............

Weekend chocolates was always in our house grin

Badders123 Sat 28-Nov-15 13:52:45

Oh god, yes!
The glass pots of perfumed creme.
I had perfume in a bottle shaped like a lamp (!)
Also the packs of soaps...always a set with poinsettia on!

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 14:00:39

And a pomander in the shape of a parasol! With little wax chip things inside!

And Boots lemon grass bathcubes!

queenrollo Sat 28-Nov-15 15:30:47

I always buy my mum a packet of brandy snaps. They were the one thing in the Christmas hamper (from the milkman, paid for all year) that my mum liked to keep as a treat for herself.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 16:09:42

Oh yes, the old lady who lived next door to us when I was little would invite us round at Christmas time for brandy snaps and a Callard and Bowser (??) butterscotch. They seemed so grown up and luxurious!

Imfinehowareyou Sat 28-Nov-15 16:15:17

A box of New Berry Fruits. I always thought they were so sophisticated!

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 16:16:50

lol- yes, and Famous Names liqueurs. I remember the advert so well.

SpellBookandCandle Sat 28-Nov-15 16:22:32

Ohhh, one year I received an Avon perfume that came in a glass bottle shaped like a ladies button up Victorian shoe. I thought it was so glamorous.

SymphonyofShadows Sat 28-Nov-15 16:31:25

They had a triple pack of Newberry Fruits on Amazon Lightning deals. I was really surprised as I haven't even thought about them for years I thought they were vile

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 16:31:31

Look! That's the parasol pomander I had!

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 28-Nov-15 16:33:52

And the Christmas stocking scent. IIRC I begged my Mum to let me buy it for my friend (for something like 49p) and then kept it for me.

SpellBookandCandle Sat 28-Nov-15 16:53:48

Ohhhh, ThenLater, you got the Victorian boot too!!!!

TooOldforThisMalarkey Sat 28-Nov-15 18:59:54

I was just going to say those tins of talcum powder. I was little in the '70s and used to buy them for all female relatives (must have been cheap grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now