Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I give a bauble as a gift?

(15 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Sat 28-Nov-15 00:20:55

A friend of mine had a baby five months ago. We are long distance friends (both within England though!) - used to work together and now meet around once a year. Neither of us have met the others baby yet (dc2 for me).

I want to send a little something foe Christmas, but dont want to make her feel obliged to return the favour. I wondered if it may be a nice thing to pick out a really nice tree ornament and post it down ti her dd, with the idea that it remind them of her first christmas, and then I could send a new one next xmas etc.

Id like to pick out something pretty and quirky, but was worried she may be a bit "erm...who buys a five month old a bauble?!"

She has a big family, and no doubt will get showered witg gifts. Similarly I dont want to get a "babys first christmas" one as she may get one for the baby herself so I dont want to step on toes.

What do you think?

mrsmeerkat Sat 28-Nov-15 00:23:06

I think it sounds perfect

Akire Sat 28-Nov-15 00:26:11

Sounds good something to say thinking of you.

recklessgran Sat 28-Nov-15 00:26:52

I think it's a really lovely idea,especially if you carry it on each year so that by the time she is an adult she will have a selection of her own baubles to start off with. If I was your friend I would be very touched.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 28-Nov-15 00:34:30

I think it sounds lovely.

Although I did have the bright idea of "personalising " a bauble for my new husband. I thought it could become a little tradition that I would buy him a bauble every yr. So the 1st Christmas we were married I hand painted a glass bauble on one side saying "husband". On the other side, I hand painted "1st" as it was our first Christmas as a married couple. It was only when my MIL looked confused asking why it said "1st Husband" did I see the error of my ways smile

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 28-Nov-15 00:36:36

grin first husband!!

Thanks for the responses, definetly going with it.

Nite all.

ChristmasZombie Sat 28-Nov-15 03:44:07

I'd be delighted to receive that for my baby! Lovely idea!

GreenSand Sat 28-Nov-15 04:27:31

We have had babys first Christmas, and also snowmen snow globe bauble's with kids name in. If you don't want first Christmas, what about baby's name and the year to set things off?

SomethingUnpredictable Sat 28-Nov-15 05:30:30

Its a lovely idea, I buy my DS a special bauble for the tree each year. Not necessarily personalised just something that is nice for a child to have.

The idea is that when he is old enough to move out and have his own tree he will have some nice baubles to hang on it and remind him of all his Christmases growing up and he can hang his own baubles on our tree without messing up my pretty glass ones wink

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Sat 28-Nov-15 05:35:40

Yes yes yes.... I love this idea smile

ClarkL Sat 28-Nov-15 10:01:01

We buy a new nutcracker every year and write the year on the bottom. It was tricky a few years back but suddenly they are everywhere and I've bought 3 this year, I keep sneaking them past my husband claiming we've had them all along.
I love the idea of a special decoration each year, my only advice is be careful with colour, I really dislike the baby pinks and blues on the 1st Christmas stuff, but then I am a total control freak and only in the last few years have I stopped re-wrapping presents so the paper all matches my colour scheme.

LBOCS2 Sat 28-Nov-15 10:08:02

Lots of lovely ideas here - not all 'first Christmas' ones (although some are).

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 28-Nov-15 11:28:51

Thanks everyone. Have ordered a lovely material covered one (white with red stars on) from Not On The High Street. It comes with a tiny personalised tag hanging from the top too.

Lb some lovely ideas on that link!!!

toddlerwrangling Sat 28-Nov-15 23:46:19

Sounds great - I was going to post to say I got my DD a lovely personalised star from NOTHS - but see you've done the same! smile

toddlerwrangling Sat 28-Nov-15 23:48:51

Ooh LBOCS2 I got DD the Clara and Macy star from that link! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now