Talk

Advanced search

When someone says "snowman soup" what do you think it is?

(27 Posts)
CinnamonStar Fri 27-Nov-15 17:10:15

My mum used to make us "snowman soup" sometimes at Christmas time.

It was basically a pale coloured soup - I think it had leftover turkey in, but it was mainly potatoes and cream.
And there would be a few pieces of carrot floating about in it, and that was the snowman's nose.
And there were little black bits that you just had to find but not eat - not sure if they were peppercorns or cloves - and they were the snowman's eyes.

But I was talking to someone who said she was making it for her DC's advent hamper or some such thing, so I was a bit confused. And it turns out that it means hot chocolate with marshmallows, and you stir it with a candy cane and it's this Christmassy thing that everyone else knows about.

So was mine just a made-up thing of my mum's?

GreenSand Fri 27-Nov-15 17:15:18

Of old, I'd have said something similar to your Mum, but the last year or so, when all the jar cookies /posh hot chocolate stuff entered my radar, white hot chocolate.

kiwidreamer Fri 27-Nov-15 17:16:10

I think of the hot chocolate / candy cane version, your mums soup sounds... interesting!!

whatdoIget Fri 27-Nov-15 17:17:16

Never heard of either type before now ☃

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 27-Nov-15 17:16:54

Snow man soup often seen in cellophane cones with marshmallows priced very optimistically on Facebook pages

Lulabellarama Fri 27-Nov-15 17:16:59

I'd have thought it was melted snow, so...water!

CinnamonStar Fri 27-Nov-15 18:37:21

I'm glad I'm not the only one ignorant of the trend. grin at melted snow.

My friend thought it was absolutely hilarious that I hadn't heard of it.

Mum's soup was quite nice actually, kiwi, though as far as I know she hasn't cooked it for about 20 years, she usually makes leftover-turkey curry now instead.

exWifebeginsat40 Fri 27-Nov-15 18:39:26

i would have said water. i have never heard of soup nor hot chocolate. i mean, i know soup and hot chocolate exist, just not in this context.

AuntieStella Fri 27-Nov-15 18:42:27

Watery soup with carrots (not that dissimilar from your Mum's).

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 27-Nov-15 18:44:37

I imagine like a bovril coloured soap with tiny little snowmen (sweets) with black hats and ref scarves floating around.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 27-Nov-15 18:46:11

*soup not soap.

I would have assumed it was water. I like the idea of the hot chocolate though. (I'm awkward & don't like turkey, except cold in a sandwich.)

ElderlyKoreanLady Fri 27-Nov-15 18:49:18

I'd have thought it was a pan of water with a carrot in it confused

LongHardStare Fri 27-Nov-15 18:51:16

Snowman soup makes me think of cheapskates passing off a couple of teaspoons of hot chocoate in cellophane as a present...

Sgtmajormummy Fri 27-Nov-15 18:51:54

I'd imagine Snowman Soup to be like a clear Chinese soup with one large and one small chicken dumpling for the head and body.
Could be a thing! grin

OneMoreCasualty Fri 27-Nov-15 18:54:22

Water with stones and a manky old hat?

VinoTime Fri 27-Nov-15 20:47:19

Hot chocolate with marshmallows and candy canes.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Fri 27-Nov-15 20:50:58

Hot chocolate and marshmallows.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Fri 27-Nov-15 20:51:18

Absolutely no comment.
Second thread tonight I've read and got the total wrong idea about blush

DontStopBelievin Fri 27-Nov-15 22:25:39

I immediately thought from the title of hot chocolate and marshmallows in a little cellophane bag.
(Big Pinterest fan and seen lots of them on there. smile )

DontStopBelievin Fri 27-Nov-15 22:28:36

Snowman soup makes me think of cheapskates passing off a couple of teaspoons of hot chocoate in cellophane as a present...

Why cheapskate? Why are some people all about how much a present costs to determine worth? I've never made one or received one but they're pretty, and if I did receive one I'd just love the fact they went to the effort of making one for me and thinking of me.
Do we have a bah humbug emoticon for this poster as I think we need one if not... grin
It's a lovely present, and if you don't like then that's up to you. Doesn't mean you have to write homemade presents off as people being cheap.

mangocoveredlamb Fri 27-Nov-15 22:31:33

Ha ha Sharon me too!

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 28-Nov-15 07:07:36

I thought water as well.
My Nana used to offer us "Corporation Pop" that was really tap water. Ive also heard "council juice." So I assumed Snowman soup would be a festive variation!

thunderbird69 Sat 28-Nov-15 07:12:31

I thought water too.

Hot choc, marshmallows and candy cane sounds sickeningly sweet

HortonWho Sat 28-Nov-15 08:11:26

i love Christmas, we do advent calendars, an elf visits us... and I still agree with pp that those things are cheapskate. Nothing thoughtful or homemade about stuffing a few teaspoons of hot chocolate powder and some marshmallows in a bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now