Talk

Advanced search

online food shop, risky?

(25 Posts)
blamethecat Thu 26-Nov-15 18:34:51

If I order from ocado or waitrose and and order a turkey do they guarantee delivery? Or will it depend on the stock on the day the pick the order?

recklessgran Thu 26-Nov-15 19:43:14

Mmm I really am not sure. Ocado normally won't let you order something if it is out of stock. Personally I would phone customer services and ask them.
It's a tricky one!

LBOCS2 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:07:24

As far as I know, Ocado run a live stock system - so they won't let you order it if they don't anticipate that it's in stock. I don't get my meat from there over Christmas, but generally their Christmas delivery service is excellent, I've never had any substitutions or missing items - even on Christmas Eve.

Buttercup27 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:11:56

Our turkey was substituted last year (from sainsburys though). It was the day before Christmas eve and they sent a massive really expensive turkey (that we had to pay full price for ) we couldn't say no to it as we were nervous about being able to get another one at such short notice.

Luckily it just fit in the oven.

I'm not risking it this year.

duckbilled Thu 26-Nov-15 20:17:03

Previously I ordered a whole turkey from Asda. On Christmas eve the shopping turned up with the turkey substituted for 4 slices of turkey breast... I would never risk it again!

Optimist1 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:21:54

That's reassuring, LBOCS2 - I congratulated myself on securing a Christmas Eve slot for about ten minutes, since when I've been worrying that crucial items would be unavailable resulting in panic dash to a supermarket!

RockyRoadster Thu 26-Nov-15 20:25:19

I've never had a problem ordering my turkey from Ocado.

Hillfog Thu 26-Nov-15 20:28:27

We've got an online shop booked for everything except the Turkey. DH has a slot booked to pick that up from the M&S by his work on the 23rd. I don't trust it!

Pico2 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:30:58

I hadn't put a turkey crown in my Christmas order with Ocado until this week. But then they turned out not to have any stock left for Christmas on any I want.

A couple of years ago we ordered the largest turkey crown Ocado do as we had a lot of people coming. All of their crowns are priced per kg with a weight range that you might get. We were sent the very bottom of the weight range which was a bit too small.

I think I might go and get one locally instead this year.

blamethecat Thu 26-Nov-15 20:32:51

I am more tempted by ocado as it isn't picked in store so more chance it will be available. Otherwise not sure where else yo ho as I have no car so need delivery when it suits me.

WelliesAndPyjamas Thu 26-Nov-15 20:34:36

Asda cancelled my whole christmas food shop (they couldn't meet demand after all...) and didn't tell me. So it was an early morning trip to Tesco on Christmas Eve for us! I love so much about online food shopping but t comes with risks at important times of year! my first world problem

steakpunararemediumwelldone Thu 26-Nov-15 20:37:48

Do not use asda. They cancelled my christmas eve order and gave a 100 reasons why (all lies), refused to refund me and left me crawling round the store drunk at 1am trying to pull together a meal. Marks and Spencer were brilliant for us the year after and Sainsburys lost our turkey but gave us another and our money back last year.

WelliesAndPyjamas Thu 26-Nov-15 20:52:25

Snap, steampunk...except for the drunk midnight wanderings in asda grin

cece Thu 26-Nov-15 21:26:33

I always order the turkey from the local butchers. And pop down and pick it up on morning of Christmas Eve.

LibidinousSwine Thu 26-Nov-15 21:41:33

I'm an avid Waitrose online shopping fan, but I'm not sure I would risk a Christmas Eve delivery confused

I wonder if there's any way of ordering your meat beforehand then asking for it to be delivered with your regular grocery order?

steakpunararemediumwelldone Thu 26-Nov-15 22:08:44

Ah wellies, we laugh now but when I was in the squash aisle it was so busy I could not reach the cherries and berries. A woman gave me one from her trolley and I drunkenly cried. I feel fully prepared for any zombie apocalypse raids that may come in future because of that night.

Blowninonabreeze Thu 26-Nov-15 22:11:43

Put it in your basket now even if you edit your order at a later date.

I'm an ocado faithful. Have had Christmas deliveries for the past 4 years and rarely a substitution (admittedly, I've never had their turkeys)

They don't let you order if it's out of stock.

( Note ocado not waitrose.com never tried them)

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 26-Nov-15 22:14:36

I've had ocado delivery for last few Christmases, usually on 23 Dec. It's always been fine.

We're having beef this year, never do turkey.

SlipperyJack Thu 26-Nov-15 22:17:34

Two years running I've had turkey breast roasts from Ocado (the Kelly Bronze ones) - no difficulties.

zeetea Thu 26-Nov-15 22:20:10

I've booked Ocado this year, I switch between them and Sainsburys but Sainsburys seem to be all over the place at the moment for me, and I didn't want to risk it with the Christmas shop!

I've not ordered my turkey from ocado though, I always get a KellyBronze, but I would agree with the others that they're excellent and the most unlikely to fail to meet the demand, and if there are problems they text you the morning of delivery so you'll know beforehand, which can be useful if you need to rush out for something smile

ceeveebee Thu 26-Nov-15 22:26:42

Ocado rarely substitute.
Have you actually booked a slot with ocado? In my area they are all gone from 21 December onwards!

SanityClause Thu 26-Nov-15 22:26:27

I always get my Ocado delivery on the morning of the 23rd, just in case something goes wrong.

Last year, they substituted pancetta slices with pancetta cubes. Not much use for pigs in blankets! But, they're usually very good, so I don't begrudge the occasional slip up.

I know in previous years, my bird/s have been circled on the receipt, so I guess the orders are double checked to ensure the star ingredient is not missing.

We get our ham from a deli down the road from us, and they always have people queuing out the door on Christmas Eve to pick up their poultry orders. Last year, the wrong birds were delivered to them, so all they had was massive big birds, to fill loads of orders for smaller ones. I think with a supermarket, you probably have a better chance of getting the right thing.

blamethecat Sun 29-Nov-15 07:46:25

Just ordered from ocado, booked for 19th and ordered a frozen crown, I know fresh would probably be better but I think I stand more chance of getting this. I have ordered various cocktail sausage too, if I get all of them Ds will be in heaven!

popcornpaws Sun 29-Nov-15 14:05:10

I always get my sainsbury delivery on the 23rd just incase they run out/substite anything so i can go on christmas eve if i have to.
But they always get it right imo.

PitBlackwell Sun 29-Nov-15 14:21:03

I always get mine on the 23rd too, then I can nip to the local Co-Op if anything is missing. Mind you, we have a very relaxed attitude to Christmas, with no one to please but ourselves, so we're not too bothered if things don't arrive and we can't source a replacement. I imagine it's a lot more difficult if you have demanding relatives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now