Talk

Advanced search

your Christmas traditions/ treats?

(13 Posts)
madmotherof2 Thu 26-Nov-15 15:23:03

Hi

I'd like to do something abit different this year, it's been a rough few months, particularly for my youngest as he's started chemotherapy. He's got a long way to go ( will be finished may 2017) and I'd really like to make this Christmas extra special. Probably our only usual tradition is new PJs on Christmas Eve.

I don't want to buy extra presents ( even though I want to spoil them rotten..) but I'd love to take them somewhere or do something at home

The hospital have very kindly arranged Panto tickets for us.

I wondered what others do? May try and steal some ideas!!

chanie44 Thu 26-Nov-15 15:32:25

I like the idea of having a fun Xmas eve eg take away or posh buffet. I'm thinking of doing an Xmas eve party and playing fun games or something.

I also like the idea of holding back a small gift for Boxing Day evening and 'finding' them under the tree.

emmaMBC Thu 26-Nov-15 15:52:17

We share a new Christmas book on Christmas Eve.

VinoTime Thu 26-Nov-15 16:19:14

Throughout December we pack every weekend with fun things to do in the lead up to Christmas. Ice skating, panto's, Santa's Grotto's, cinema, Christmas markets, etc.

Christmas Eve is spent going out for a posh meal at lunchtime with my immediate family (mum, dad, sister and daughter this year). DD and I have a wander around town afterwards and pick up any last bits we need, including a carrot for Rudolph which DD loves picking out herself - it has to be just right grin Then we'll head to the lovely little church round the corner for a carol service. In the evening, we host my family at our house. I make a big pot of homemade soup, bake some soda bread rolls and we all snuggle up on the sofas and watch Christmas Vacation. We get a fire going, eat our weight in mince pies and drink lots of mulled wine. 'Tis lovely. As soon as the movie is done, DD unwraps her new Christmas PJ's and puts them on, we read The Night Before Christmas and then we set out food/drink for Santa and Rudolph before saying goodnight fsmile

madmotherof2 Thu 26-Nov-15 16:46:22

Oh wow Vino, can I move in please?? grin

Love the idea of ice skating! We aren't too far from winchester and there's usually one by the cathedral

bilbodog Thu 26-Nov-15 18:05:43

Hi vino I want to come to yours as well .... I can bring wine and mince pies?

Baconyum Fri 27-Nov-15 05:32:13

It's just me and dd I'm hoping for ideas we can do she's 15. Madmother hope you have a lovely Christmas flowers

cantgonofurther Fri 27-Nov-15 08:21:53

We have Chinese and movie on Christmas eve. My eldest dd looks forward to this more than anything else over Christmas as she can order crispy duck.

Baconyum Fri 27-Nov-15 08:29:21

Ooh dd loves Chinese we hardly have it as I'm not over keen.

MarmaladeTeepee Fri 27-Nov-15 08:54:28

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I guess a lot of it depends on the age of DC but some things that appeal to ours (DSS - 15, DS - 6, DD - 3) are:

* Christmas movie night (either a DVD or whatever's on Netflix/sky) with hot dogs and popcorn. Also going to incorporate a hot chocolate station this year (basically a table set up with hot chocolate in the slow cooker, mugs etc, and lots of different toppings - squirty cream, marshmallows, choc drops etc)

* Ice skating

* Santa run in aid of our local hospice. Tonnes of fun and a great atmosphere even if you walk more than run like us

Have you asked the DC what their perfect Christmas would be like? Obviously this depends on budget, time etc but you could try and adapt their ideas to suit. I've done this with my DC this year and they've decided on party food instead of a traditional dinner (which I'm over the moon about as hate cooking Christmas dinner) and spending the day in their onesies.

Baconyum Fri 27-Nov-15 09:21:09

I will ask dd later I think. The physical stuff is out (ice skating, running) as I'm disabled and can't move well especially as I'm recovering from an injury too right now. But food/drink/movies are all good ideas, was thinking a pamper session too which we do sometimes (dd does my make up but as she gives me zoella make up and I'm 43 it does look slightly odd! But we laugh about that), maybe even cinema if there's anything decent we can agree on! (Lucky to have a membership thingy so not expensive/can use points). I've also been looking at board games as aa gift that can be opened Christmas eve with new pjs etc as a wee treat.

Baconyum Fri 27-Nov-15 09:23:14

Ouch blush sorry marmalade and OP realise now marmalade was answering OP <scuttles off to hide>

madmotherof2 Fri 27-Nov-15 09:52:48

Ooh my boys would love the hot choc station marmalade!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now