Talk

Advanced search

What do you put out for Father Christmas?

(25 Posts)
HeyMicky Thu 26-Nov-15 13:20:20

When I was a child, DF worked Christmas Eve so it was DM's choice - port and shortbread.

A friend and I engaged in some mild class warfare when she heard this - her family put out beer and TimTams (Australia).

I had never heard of leaving anything for the reindeer until MIL presented DD with some shit glittery oats sparkly reindeer food last year

DH thinks Father Christmas would like whiskey this year, and carrots for the reindeer.

What does he eat at yours?

HuevosRancheros Thu 26-Nov-15 13:28:03

Sherry and mince pie for father Christmas, carrot and water for reindeer smile

Absolutely nothing glittery.

I remember my friend at school saying that she left pickled onions out, and he loved them. When I suggested we should do the same at our house, my mum said it was better for father Christmas to have a bit of variety - "let him have the pickled onions at Lynn's house" grin

scaryg Thu 26-Nov-15 13:30:59

Last year it was milk and a mince pie for Father Christmas and a carrot for the reindeer. This year I think I'll ask DD what she'd like to put out.

attheendoftheday Thu 26-Nov-15 13:34:33

I ask the dds what they want to do. Normally it's squash and a biscuit. And a carrot for every reindeer - the first year I foolishly didn't have enough and we had to cobble together parsnips and bits of cucumber.

FreddieBoswellsHair Thu 26-Nov-15 13:34:47

Mince pie and milk for Father Christmas, carrot for rudolph and the reindeer. We don't drink so don't have any sherry etc in the house although rushing around on Christmas Eve sometimes I wish I did!

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 26-Nov-15 13:57:30

Mince pie and a carrot for the reindeer. And a shot of whatever DH is drinking on Christmas Eve grin

LauraChant Thu 26-Nov-15 14:03:55

When I were a child, it was mince pie, carrot and sherry. Carrot would have a bite out of it next day, other items would be consumed. By Dad, who always worked Christmas Eve and would get in in the early hours of Christmas Day.

Now it's mince pie, carrot and orange juice in a shot glass. DS helpfully made a sign last year saying "toilet this way" in case Santa needed a wee.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 26-Nov-15 14:08:09

Mince pie for FC, plus some sherry if we have any in, but otherwise a bottle of single malt and a glass with a sign saying 'dad says help yourself'

Carrot for the reindeer, this must show signs of munching in the morning. Last year DS had become a non-believer (at the age of 8) and was very excited to be involved in chewing the carrot for his younger sister to find.

HeyMicky Thu 26-Nov-15 14:18:36

Mmm, nothing better after hours of delivering presents than some delicious pickled onions grin

iklboo Thu 26-Nov-15 14:20:35

Jack Daniel's & a Mr Kipling apple pie. Mrs C gets one too. Reindeer get a bag of carrots.

MummyPig24 Thu 26-Nov-15 14:21:19

Always a mince pie. Drinks vary depending on what ds1 thinks Santa wants. Last year it was milk, this year he says milk too. We have done beer before. And a carrot for the reindeer.

Cressandra Thu 26-Nov-15 14:24:43

Loving the toilet sign!

Mince pie and whisky here. It's always whisky.

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 26-Nov-15 14:25:25

Baileys and a mince pie for fc, carrot for ruldolph.

ifonly4 Thu 26-Nov-15 14:31:07

We put out mince pie for Santa and carrot for Rudolph, but our cat found mince pie last year before Santa arrived! Turns out the cat likes mince pies as well and they don't make him ill or upset tummy!

JoanGalt Thu 26-Nov-15 14:35:10

We put out a mince pie and a small glass of sherry or port for Father Christmas and a carrot for Rudolph.

There will be no deviation from this. Ever. wink

Last year I made DH eat all the carrot too, for authenticity.

GastonsChestHair Thu 26-Nov-15 14:35:13

Sherry or port and a mince pie here too. I don't buy into the milk thing, it's freezing on Christmas eve and I'm sure the old chap would like a snifter to keep him warm, the kids have told us off because he has to drive the sleigh and shouldn't drink drive but I tell them it's ok, the reindeer know the way.

Carrot for the reindeer obvs.

GastonsChestHair Thu 26-Nov-15 14:35:48

And I always eat the carrot for authenticity grin

eckythumpenallthat Thu 26-Nov-15 15:54:34

When I was little it was sherry for father Xmas, a mince pie and carrot for Rudolph

We never have sherry in the house so last year (1st time of leaving something) we left a glass of black currant (dd choice) carrot and mince pie

DH keeps saying we need to leave milk for Rudolph. He won't have it he is wrong. If you give milk for one reindeer what about the others? Where does it stop? And anyway how do they lift the glass up with their hooves??

HuevosRancheros Thu 26-Nov-15 16:44:09

I snap most of the carrot off - the leftovers go back in the fridge - and then take a bite out of the stalk end for authenticity smile

We leave a shallow bowl of water for the reindeer, they're quite messy so usually spill some!

FC leaves a few mince pie crumbs but never a drop of drink wink

ShesAStar Thu 26-Nov-15 16:58:28

We leave a few mince pies and a glass of wine for Father Christmas and however many carrots the DC feel is right for the reindeer and a bowl of water. DH comps at the end of the carrots and then spits some onto our front path (yuck!) to 'prove' the reindeer ate them! I bravely manage the winewine

dodobookends Thu 26-Nov-15 17:18:07

Turns out the cat likes mince pies as well grin

Pengweng Thu 26-Nov-15 18:59:11

Whiskey and mince pie for Father Christmas and a carrot for Rudolph. The girls want to make some Reindeer food glittery shite and throw it on the grass for them to eat.

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 26-Nov-15 20:51:02

This has just reminded me of when I babysat on Christmas Eve when I was a teenager. The parents rolled in totally drunk at about midnight and I made the Dad eat the mince pie and most of the carrot so he could show his son that Father Christmas had been grin

SecretLocation Thu 26-Nov-15 21:02:07

We used to leave brandy out for Santa but DS insists that he prefers milk.

He definitely doesn't wink

Istanbulla Thu 26-Nov-15 21:08:36

The reindeer also enjoy dog biscuits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now