Talk

Advanced search

13 yo DD would like a swegway, hoverboard balance board thingy for xmas

(20 Posts)
Shakirasma Wed 25-Nov-15 20:12:51

It will be a surprise, we had already told her no but she's been suffering some bullying lately and is feeling pretty low so we've decided to get her one as a "wow" present.

So many to choose from, can't afford top of the range. Has anyone seen any good buys, or seen any good reviews?

Many thanks x

Justmuddlingalong Wed 25-Nov-15 20:21:29

There have been a few fires allegedly caused by them so choose carefully.

Helenluvsrob Wed 25-Nov-15 20:25:15

And it's illegal to use them on pavements or roads....

WeAllHaveWings Wed 25-Nov-15 20:25:45

Also illegal on all public pavements and roads so expensive considering the restrictions (but do look a lot of fun!)

changename54 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:33:15

I was also considering this for one of mine, but have given up the idea now that they've been deemed illegal by the police on pavements and roads. (Where else are you supposed to use them??)

So I'm guessing there will be a glut of them being sold at a knock-down price after Christmas.

DickDewy Wed 25-Nov-15 20:37:13

Our 13 year old wants one too.

jeanmiguelfangio Wed 25-Nov-15 21:23:41

You can use them on private land, so anywhere you own or have permission to use it.
I suppose even if it costs a bit more use a reputable supplier as a lot have fires with the chargers

Goodbetterbest Wed 25-Nov-15 22:36:01

I ordered one from SkateHut - it was a pre-order and should be here early December.

They are advertising Black Friday deals so others might have them reduced as well. I got a bit back by using Quidco too.

Roygrace Thu 26-Nov-15 14:19:25

I thought they were not illegal

enderwoman Thu 26-Nov-15 14:59:47

They are illegal but I've seen lots of kids carrying them (in front of police officers too) and nothing is ever said so I think it's a case of it being illegal but not being enforced.

BYOSnowman Thu 26-Nov-15 15:08:17

It is not illegal in itself

It is illegal to ride them on pavements/public highways

So carrying them is fine!

Fairiesarereal Thu 26-Nov-15 16:53:57

They do them in The Range now for £250 - that's the cheapest I've seen them for smile

Roygrace Fri 27-Nov-15 16:35:57

Where can you go on them though

BYOSnowman Fri 27-Nov-15 17:42:22

Private land! Maybe skate parks

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FortyFacedFuckers Fri 27-Nov-15 17:54:24

I got ds's from smyths the toy shop and it is great.

Alfredoshoes Fri 27-Nov-15 18:19:12

I want one (for me) too! Does anyone know if they will only operate on hard surfaces such as pavements, or will they go on grass too?

WeAllHaveWings Fri 27-Nov-15 18:23:53

Not allowed in skate parks (mostly council owned so public) without prior permission.

Only allowed ion private land with owners permission. So your or friends garden, or private land where you get permission.

Not sure how they would be on grass, read they are for flat surfaces only.

Fairiesarereal Sat 28-Nov-15 10:33:34

DNephew has one and he rode on the grass no problem.

Alfredoshoes Sun 29-Nov-15 08:30:53

Oh, thank youFairies! I'll wait till after Christmas and see if I can get one second hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now