Talk

Advanced search

Clever keet...it's going to be utter shit but ds wants it. Yes or no?

(9 Posts)
Givinguph0pe Wed 25-Nov-15 10:22:21

Ds (6) has only asked for sodding little live pets clever keet and a portable CD player to play his audio books on.

Have got him the CD player but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend £40 on a pretend budgie. It'll be crap won't it? The sort of crap that is played with on Christmas Day and then ignored and forgotten. For £40 I'm sure I could get something better...otoh he's only asked for those two things and I doubt we will get another believing in Santa year.

Would you get it or not? The reviews for it are ok but I know, I just know, it will get very little actual play time because once you've watched it dance and drive its little car what else can you do with it?!

CakeNinja Wed 25-Nov-15 14:49:00

Never heard of it but if it's what he wants (and you're not getting into debt because of it) I'd say get it.
We spent the best part of £200 a couple of Christmases ago on 2 revolting fur real animals our dds went on and on about.
They opened them, were absolutely giddy with joy for about 45 seconds and then they were barely looked at.
6 months later, they werare donated to the school soft toy tombola.
However when they ask for ridiculous things now, I remind them of the fur real monstrosities and ask if they think they'll end up dumping them after 6 months!

I reckon in the long run, it's ended up saving me quite a lot of dosh grin

fucking fur real

Givinguph0pe Wed 25-Nov-15 14:55:40

Yes I too have suffered the pain of the neglected fur real toy.
I know ds won't play with it, I can afford to get it - but it seems a waste of money. I'm sort of torn between getting it or just hoping on Christmas Day that he is so pleased with his other presents that he doesn't notice it isn't there!
He's got some actual real pets that he doesn't bother much with so I can't see a robotic budgie having much longevity.

gleam Wed 25-Nov-15 15:04:53

I'm glad mine are too old for this. I remember Fur Real and Furbies!

Could he have a play with one so you can guage the interest factor?

Floggingmolly Wed 25-Nov-15 15:09:05

It looks rubbish! Dd had the fur real Squawkers Maccaw a few years ago; it at least looked like a real parrot.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 25-Nov-15 15:19:03

What about just buying a little live pet? They are about £10, you can get one very similar in looks to the clever Keet one or go totally different with a mouse or cat?

Givinguph0pe Wed 25-Nov-15 15:28:39

He has been seduced by the clever keet clever advertising.
I'd probably have loved it at 6, but I think I'd have played with it. I played vets and schools with my toys.
Ds mainly (only) plays with small action figures which he can use to shoot each other and clever keet does not fit this remit.
He doesn't play much with toys at all actually so I can't see the budgie being any different.

Shall I just hope he doesn't notice on Christmas morning?!

Thecatknowsshesboss Wed 25-Nov-15 17:34:07

Feel your pain as DD has requested little live pets butterfly - all it does is flap its wings at least the budgie we got repeated words and had some entertainment value!

Trudee Thu 26-Nov-15 07:15:34

My ds also wants a clever keet but I've gone for a digidino instead. We've always explained that you don't get everything ask for and sometimes fc finds something that's not as crap even better. Digidino is half the price (with a habitat) and still along the same lines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now