Talk

Advanced search

Not a clue for DH??

(22 Posts)
HeadandBrickWall Wed 25-Nov-15 09:36:08

Really struggling to think of what to buy DH for his main Christmas present (budget up to £70ish) - he seems to have everything related to stuff he likes now confused

He likes computers and related stuff but has a laptop, tablet, graphics tablet (which he never uses!), a raspberry Pi, an Xbox360 (can't stretch to an Xbox One though) and a Kindle so not sure if there are any other 'gadgets' I could get. He doesn't really like 'pointless' gadgety toys, such as remote control stuff.

He doesn't have a wealth of hobbies - likes reading and likes coffee but don't want to get a 'pod' machine as not sure he'd use it much.

He'd appreciate good quality clothes - wears casual shirts a lot and jeans/chinos (works from home) and usually just gets them from Tesco but doesn't like flashy brands, especially where the name is plastered over the clothes, so some suggestions for quality makes rather than fashion brands would be fab - eg White Stuff, but have heard their shirts go at the elbows rather quick!

I'd love to get him a new watch, he's had his current one years and it needs winding every morning but his mum bought it for him and he thinks she'd be offended if he got a new one (she's very a bit high maintenance) without the old one being totally useless first - should I steer clear or just consider it anyway regardless of her?

He's made an Amazon wishlist, at his mum's request, and all it has on is Xbox games and dvds, have got one dvd off there but would at least like to try and think of something else before just dividing up who buys what with his mum.

If it helps at all it's our first married Christmas so don't know if that should be giving me any more ideas but I'm so blank!

Anyone else buying for someone similar?

actiongirl1978 Wed 25-Nov-15 10:19:42

I am getting my husband a PACT coffee voucher. We have a gaggia coffee machine and so I buy him the beans to grind himself. I can't drink caffeine but their decaf is fantastic and my husband LOVES their blends. He likes coffee strong and fresh.

Also possibly a membership for the Everyman cinemas so we can go the the pictures in a more stylish surrounding!

actiongirl1978 Wed 25-Nov-15 10:20:57

Oh and yes, my husband is very similar. He has one watch, one wallet and one pair of cufflinks and he sees the need for nothing else. A nightmare. I usually just get him six nations tix as we go every year (he is Irish so tix easier to come by possibly)

HeadandBrickWall Wed 25-Nov-15 15:24:10

Thanks actiongirl - am always tempted to get him some sort of coffee machine but not sure he'd use it, he loves properly made coffee but if he has to make it he usually just makes instant and is starting to find strong coffee too much. We don't have a good cinema near by and he doesn't like sport, or other gigs, - so difficult!

ginmakesitallok Wed 25-Nov-15 15:25:38

I've just gotten dp a new light for his bike. Oh the romance!

LibidinousSwine Wed 25-Nov-15 15:33:07

DH likes Joules for nice casual clothes and the outlet is often good for bargains fsmile

HeadandBrickWall Wed 25-Nov-15 15:34:56

Lol gin - wish DH even had something like that I could buy a 'thing' for. Thanks LS, will have a look at Joules!

EmGee Wed 25-Nov-15 15:40:26

Racking my brains. My DH is a nightmare too. So far he's told me of two dvds he wants. Would he use a scooter by any chance? I bought one for DH one year and it was hands down the best present I've ever got him - a total surprise, a nice big box and useful too!

I'm not sure I would get him a watch until his mother's one comes to the end of it's life......

HeadandBrickWall Wed 25-Nov-15 15:44:43

Definitely wouldn't use a scooter sadly, sounds fab - he'd like a bike but that's out of budget and I think he's underestimated how many hills there are around here and how much the total lack of cycle paths would put him off wink

Might have to keep fingers crossed that the watch meets with an unfortunate accident sometime soon - his birthday's not long after Xmas either

Are Gap good quality for men's clothes does anyone know? Just remembered they're doing a Black Friday 50% off near us so could possibly get him sorted between there and Joules etc.

snowgirl1 Wed 25-Nov-15 16:16:18

Could you get him a subscription? To a gaming magazine (no idea if there is such a thing) or a gadgets magazine (ditto). Or could you buy an experience for him? Maybe there's something like this 'coffee experience day' near you?

Helenagrace Wed 25-Nov-15 16:31:24

My DH wears a lot of Gap and it's always seemed good quality.

Could you buy him a watch "for best"? I did this for my DH last year and it's ended up being the one he wears everyday.

The best present I ever got him though was about 12 years ago and it was cheese knives! Really posh ones made out of one solid piece of steel but he has really enjoyed using them and still talks about them.

I've bought him a new briefcase this year.

attheendoftheday Thu 26-Nov-15 11:17:31

What about an aeropress rather than a coffee machine? Coffee-loving Dp swears by them.

HeadandBrickWall Thu 26-Nov-15 13:22:34

Thanks - thought of a subscription but I'm not sure he'd read a magazine, mainly likes to read on his Kindle but coffee experience looks good, will have a look what's available nearby. A 'for best' watch could be good, maybe something good quality he could use everyday like cheese knives (wish the bugger ate cheese!) might do too - at least there's some ideas to pick from now!

What is an aeropress? Sorry, I'm very much a non-coffee drinker smile

fruitlovingmonkey Thu 26-Nov-15 13:40:35

I feel your pain. My DH is difficult to buy for too. I second Joules and also People Tree have nice casual menswear.
He sounds like he might enjoy an independent magazine, like Cereal or Delayed Gratification. If not, you could always look in Cereal for ideas for good quality gifts.

zeetea Thu 26-Nov-15 15:06:22

I find buying presents so stressful, especially for DH!
This year I've got him one of those sunlight alarm clock things (?!) as he mentioned wanting one luckily! jumpers, cufflinks, an Xbox game he wanted, a few books and a giant box of sweets lol.

I think a coffee machine might be worth a look into? Well, I love my nespresso anyway... lots of varieties in flavours/strength capsules, just pop one in and the machine does the work for you (I recommend ones with milk frothers so you can make cappuccino/lattes etc!) so hardly any more effort than instant stuff but much nicer. I wasn't sure I'd use mine much but it's so quiet and easy, I love it! (plus you can use it too wink)

I feel like you really do want to get him a watch though, and if it needs winding every morning I'd say that's plenty reason to get him a new one! smile

Or does he like music/sports games etc? Get tickets for those? Or a new radio if he likes listening to it when he's getting ready for work?

HeadandBrickWall Thu 26-Nov-15 16:14:27

Fab ideas, he's thrown me a massive curve ball now though - had more or less decided to get something nice to wear and a coffee gadget/experience when he comes home and says he's been thinking he really wants to start riding a bike again (hasn't for years). So torn now whether to look into a bike for joint Christmas/birthday present or stick with smaller stuff for each. Had already started picking stuff out on Joules and Gap too - men! Gone from no ideas to too many.

LaughingHyena Thu 26-Nov-15 16:20:39

The kids have DH a radio controlled paper plane kit which you control from a phone/tablet.

Notrobusta Thu 26-Nov-15 16:51:27

For coffee fans I would recommend either a kalita wave or a chemex. Manual drip coffee makers. My husband is a coffee roaster and he recommends these as producing the beat coffee. Pretty cheap too. X

HarveySpectersBalls Thu 26-Nov-15 16:55:47

Sorry, but I would get him the watch and also engrave it "For our first married christmas together".

I think his mum needs to let go of the apron strings a bit or you will always be tiptoing around her for years to come.

ShesAStar Thu 26-Nov-15 17:02:12

I'm buying DH a zip through cashmere hoddy for around the house, an obsessive chopping board, a smart phone projector if they are any help?

PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 27-Nov-15 02:11:26

Would he wear a signet type ring, or Saint Christopher?
I got DH a St. Christopher on our first Christmas together and although he doesn't wear it often, (he has a massive "bull" neck and doesn't like a short chain, but doesn't want to look like a 'Medallion Man' grin )he does treasure it.

janaus Fri 27-Nov-15 11:42:57

Watch ... He could use your watch on special occasions, and use his mother's watch day to day
His mothers watch can also be kept for next generation. Don't throw it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now