Talk

Advanced search

DD 4.5 not giving us much of a clue what she wants help needed!

(11 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Mon 23-Nov-15 20:32:50

Although DD is very excited this year about Christmas and in theory 'gets' the whole Father Christmas thing she isn't very forthcoming at all about what she wants.
When we have been to shops with her she sees loads of toys she likes and told me she really wanted a dressing table when she saw a girlie one in ELC - but by the time we get home none of it seems to stick.
Last year on the day she seemed a bit underwhelmed by receiving some of the things she had asked for, not ungrateful but just like she doesn't quite get the link between the list and the reality!!

We have loads of ideas and I have bought a few smaller things I know she will enjoy - but we really wanted to get her a 'main' present this year as well - her baby brother may well get a balance bike ( which he will love!) and I wanted her to have something significant rather than loads of smaller stuff that adds up but has less impact IYSWIM.
How do we decide - do we just have to choose and hope for the best?

I asked again tonight and she said ' a sparkly ring and other beautiful things you can choose mummy!' Help!!

Anyone else got this covered and got some low risk ideas for me?

SitsOnFence Mon 23-Nov-15 20:52:53

Something like a swing/trampoline that she'll be excited to have a go on straight away?

PresidentUnderwood Mon 23-Nov-15 21:00:01

Get a smyths or Argos catalogue and ask her circle everything she likes.

Then go through catalogue with her and use 'father Christmas' stars on the great stuff so he knows what to get

GLTC do some nice dressing up rails and my DD does seem to go a bit loopy at dressing up tables. You could fill one with pound land hair brushes, rings, mirrors, nail stickers, lip gloss and go chav-tastic?

Barbeasty Mon 23-Nov-15 22:28:21

My dad got DD a pretty box with adult costume jewellery in it one year, which she loved. If she likes dressing what dressing up stuff does she have? Even if she has dressing up clothes, a load of shoes, bags and jewellery to set costumes off or to play at being a grown up might be good.

We got DD and Elsa costume last Christmas (when she was 4.5) with shoes and crown, then Anna for her birthday because she wanted that too.

She (and DS) still love using the set she got from elc of shoes and jewellery for dressing up.

Pobspits Mon 23-Nov-15 22:31:13

Dd is only slightly older and things that have been a hit or I think will be:

Stretchkin
Barbie dream house
Flicker scooter
Craft supplies - endless amounts

Bimblywibbler Mon 23-Nov-15 22:53:15

A toy castle and some schleich bayala figures would have a 'wow' factor, and the castle could be adapted with playmobil or other figures as she gets older

Liveinthepresent Mon 23-Nov-15 23:04:38

Thank you for the replies - all helping me unfreeze! I think I will try the focused Argos session suggested and steer a bit to see if I can get some answers.
Plan B right now is definitely a GLTC dressing table full of sparkly bits and pieces!
Craft and dressing up are the favourites at the moment but she isn't bothered about frozen at all.
Will look at all the others tomorrow .
Thank you

manana21 Tue 24-Nov-15 12:35:25

i'm not the best present buyer but look on GLTC - (I don't work for them), my DD loves role play and there's a shop/theatre that I'm hoping she'll love...also, she loves the dressing table she got for her b-day, makes her feel very grown up.

Shemozzle Tue 24-Nov-15 15:13:55

I think a main is overrated. And I really wouldn't encourage getting into the lists and requests I really wouldn't. What you've already discovered is what they request isn't always what they really would like. The wish list thing often means kids ask for utter tat they've just seen in an advert or on display. My daughters best presents have been things I've carefully chosen based on her personality and the way she already plays, and not things she's asked for. Now at 8 she doesn't ask for things, she knows I pick better. things I've bought that she has adored but didn't know existed like Playmobil, particular Lego sets, maxi micro scooter etc. what kind of thing does she like to play without? Small world/fantasy/baby dolls, fashion dolls, animals, soft toys, outdoor things?

SitsOnFence Tue 24-Nov-15 17:19:44

what they request isn't always what they really would like. The wish list thing often means kids ask for utter tat they've just seen in an advert or on display

This!

Most of my DC's best loved presents have been things they were not expecting.

Nearlyadoctor Tue 24-Nov-15 17:23:33

Micro / Maxi micro scooter - we bought DD one for Christmas when she 5 as an extra suprise and it has bee her most used toy ever. This year we have upgraded to a micro Sprite ( again as an extra suprise). She is now 8.

It would also mean they both had something to try out together outside over Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now