Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend books for a 7 year old?

(24 Posts)
BeaBoo Mon 23-Nov-15 20:24:43

Need to finish off buying for my 7 year old niece. She loves to read but I have no idea what's age appropriate. Can anyone help?

hugoagogo Mon 23-Nov-15 20:29:46

It's so personal, but Jeremy Strong is good place to start I personally like 'my brother's famous bottom' grin

SitsOnFence Mon 23-Nov-15 20:45:09

Do you mean fiction she can read herself? The Worst Witch books are fantastic and much loved by my 7 year old although he prefers me to read them to him, lazy sod

She might also like some nice reference type books. DS and DD particularly like the Pop Up Pull Out Space Book and it has been well recieved as a gift to other children.

surroundedbyblondes Mon 23-Nov-15 20:51:54

My DD is enjoying Matilda. She also loved Polly and the Wolf. Prior to that we read Ronja the robber's daughter.

BeaBoo Mon 23-Nov-15 21:03:56

Yes fiction, sorry. Thanks for the suggestions, will look them up.

Would the David Walliams books be too old for her? My DP's niece liked them but not sure what age she read them at.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 23-Nov-15 21:05:45

my 7 year old dd isnt quite at the stage of reading by herself but among her friends of the same age who are the my little pony, ever after high and rainbow fairy books are popular. they had these in boxsets for £5 in whsmiths the other day smile

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 23-Nov-15 21:07:37

however if u did want non-fiction i bought dd a beautful maps book on amazon the other day (was recommended on the bargain thread) she loves it and it really is amazing quality especially for the price.

Sadik Mon 23-Nov-15 21:07:47

Very variable at that age, I'd say. Rainbow Magic is always popular (and other similar things like My Secret Unicorn), but you'd need to check with her parents which she'd read.

The Anna Hibiscus books are lovely (and still have plenty of pictures breaking up the text) and perhaps a bit less known.

Loobylou3 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:09:21

Worst Witch series, How to train your dragon series, Bill's new frock, usborne young readers range huge variety of classic stories including some Shakespeare that my dd loves, will check her book shelf in the morning for more ideas...

Sadik Mon 23-Nov-15 21:09:32

Thinking about it, and being honest every seven year old girl I've known would be totally chuffed with a box set of the latest Rainbow magic series, hideous though they are.

Anna Hibiscus is classier, though grin

Loobylou3 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:14:01

My book mad dd has never shown any interest in Rainbow magic type books...

Sadik Mon 23-Nov-15 21:16:18

OK, some exceptions smile

Fresh01 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:18:40

Do you know what interests her? My elder daughter loved the Rainbow Magic series and the Darcy Bussell books about magic dancing shoes.

Next DD is 7 and totally uninterested in anything to do with ballet or fairies but loves reading animal story books. There is a RSPCA set and another dog set on The Book People at the moment.

Wigeon Mon 23-Nov-15 21:25:56

My 7 yr old has enjoyed:

Oliver Moon series
All of Roald Dahl
Worst witch
Gobblino the Witch's Cat
Currently obsessed with Maisie Hitchins (never heard of them, but the library is well stocked with them and she loves them)
She is able to read David Walliams and thinks they are very fun but I think some of the jokes go over her head
Diary of a wimpy kid
Anything with funny text inside (eg in the style of a diary)

Depending on how your DNiece's reading skills are, Rainbow fairies might be a bit basic for her.

Wigeon Mon 23-Nov-15 21:26:18

Oh, also Famous Five and Secret seven!

Makemineacabsauv Mon 23-Nov-15 21:30:42

The Magic Faraway Tree trilogy. Rainbow fairies. The owl who was afraid of the dark (think it can come in a pack with other animal stories).

BeaBoo Mon 23-Nov-15 21:31:40

I think she's quite clever, and she likes a mix of girly things and non-girly. Sorry that's a rubbish description!

Will look up all of the ones suggested. I remember Worst Witch from when I was younger so that might be a good option.

Mrswinkler Mon 23-Nov-15 21:32:46

We've done a few David Walliams, DS is nearly 7.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 23-Nov-15 21:33:00

I love the Humphrey the Class Hamster books.

link

Girlfriend36 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:34:33

At 7yo my dd loved The Trouble With Daisy books there are loads of them, she especially loved Daisy and the Trouble with Coconuts link

They are very funny!

LovelyFriend Mon 23-Nov-15 22:08:13

Dd currently loves the Tom Gates books.

BlueChampagne Mon 23-Nov-15 22:12:30

Worst Witch would be a great choice. Also Ottoline and/or Goth Girl.

rhetorician Mon 23-Nov-15 22:14:03

some of Roddy Doyle's kids books are probably about right; Dirty Bertie ;my DD (almost 7) isn't at all girly, but she loves animal stories - particularly the Claude series by Alex T Smith

BeaBoo Mon 23-Nov-15 22:29:30

Worst Witch purchased! Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now