Talk

Advanced search

Xbox 360 or Xbox one?

(10 Posts)
Kitella Mon 23-Nov-15 19:30:49

My daughters have asked for money for an X box for Christmas. As they have some money saved for it already, we are going to put the rest in and buy one.

DD2 wants one to play games like minecraft and terraria.

DD1 would like dancing games.

The girls are 12 and 9.

So which one would be best to buy? And how many GB will I need?

I know nothing about these consoles, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

WishITookLifeSeriously Mon 23-Nov-15 19:41:16

My ds is 9. He's had an xbox 360 since his 8 th birthday. I considered buying him an xbox one this Christmas and we talked about why they are good etc. Ds decided in the end that as all of his friends have a 360, he wouldn't want a one as you can't communicate between the two devices so he wouldn't be able to play with his friends.

Kitella Mon 23-Nov-15 19:47:58

Thank you Iwish. I hadn't thought about what their friends have. I will try and find out!!

titchy Mon 23-Nov-15 19:52:14

Xbox one. Games aren't made for the 360 any more, and Xbox one games can't be played on the 360. 360 games can be played on Xbox one though.

dementedpixie Mon 23-Nov-15 19:55:49

360 games can't be played on the xbox one....yet. I would see what their friends have first tbh

dementedpixie Mon 23-Nov-15 19:57:09

Or maybe some can now. I am behind the times

titchy Mon 23-Nov-15 20:41:12

I think they updated the software so they were back compatible.

GrimmauldPlace Mon 23-Nov-15 21:02:08

This seems to be a common theme this Christmas. There's a few threads about it floating around. Maybe have a read and that might help you decide.

The xbox one has started to roll out backwards compatability so certain 360 games will be playable on it.

Terraria and minecraft are on both consoles. By dancing games, I presume you mean using the kinect? Again, available on both.

If your dd's want it just for those games and aren't fussed about playing with their friends I'd be inclined to get the 360. A lot cheaper and more games readily available.

But if your budget suits either one then obviously the newer console is always going to be the best option. Purely for longevity. The 360 has been around for 10 years now. The xbox one will be going for a lot longer.

Have your dd's given a preference?

As for GBs, bigger the better really. The 360 has a removable hdd so you can buy a bigger one if you find you need it. The xbox one has a built in one so you can't replace it and you do need a lot of space as all games need to be installed. You can buy external storage for it though.

Iggi999 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:47:29

Sorry but games are still released for the 360, new FIFA etc.

Kitella Tue 24-Nov-15 01:06:16

Thank you.

I'll try having a look at the previous threads. I normally use the app on my phone, so can't do this but will log in on my computer and do a search.

I have no idea what their friends have, but if they can use 360 games on the X box one - I think I'm veering towards getting that for greater longevity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now