Talk

Advanced search

Difficult Men

(13 Posts)
SquadGoals Mon 23-Nov-15 15:30:25

Looking for ideas about what to get DBIL. Or just men in general.

He is 26, just finished his Masters, plays the cello, likes travelling and politics. Not bothered about his appearance, clothes etc. He is very quirky.

Can spend up to £100 really. Gifts have to be small, as we are having Christmas abroad.

32ndfloorandabitdizzy Mon 23-Nov-15 15:49:31

Cash in an envelope. best gift ever. Don't waste a penny on something unless you know that he will really like it.

Or if he travels the USD or whatever currency.

£100 is a lot to spend on a sibling- maybe suggest cutting it back - I am sure he would appreciate it as he probably finds it hard to buy for you as well.

SquadGoals Mon 23-Nov-15 16:01:11

It's DH's brother and they haven't spent Christmas together in about four years. DH is also really proud of him for finishing his degree so wants to get something extra special.

We've told him not to get us anything or to just get us something small for our cats as he's not started working yet.

DH is working offshore for the next month so it's fallen onto me!

slug Mon 23-Nov-15 16:12:03

Swiss Army Knife. Small and practical

Canofpeas Mon 23-Nov-15 20:18:46

Private Eye subscription?
What was his masters in?

traviata Mon 23-Nov-15 21:08:25

Tickets to something - classical concert?
travel related stuff - backpack, maps, voucher for outdoor gear shop

Goodbetterbest Mon 23-Nov-15 23:42:06

Notonthehighstreet.com is great for useful ideas, or personalised gifts (but do google the item or look on the sellers website as may be cheaper!)

rogueantimatter Tue 24-Nov-15 12:03:25

Fancy music stand?

Subscription to Private Eye?

tostaky Tue 24-Nov-15 12:59:45

I usually look up book recommendations on the FT for my DH. There's always good books for someone interested in politics or economics.

Fancy Earphones?
Scarf? Shirt? Perfume?

My DH is getting a shirt and a set of 4 miniatures perfumes from Ted Baker. Book and chocolate.

PresidentUnderwood Tue 24-Nov-15 13:20:56

Subscription to Time magazine, I love getting paper editions through.

Pair of seinhauser earphones with little pouch, invaluable for travelling.

Something nice like good dark chocolates or small bottle of whisky (M&S do nice little bottles) or a really nice jumper - not wool as most men (generalisation) as shit at washing, but cotton blend or sweater. Smart casual.

5Foot5 Tue 24-Nov-15 13:38:34

Does he like beer? There is a boom in micro-breweries these days and lots of interesting boutique beers to be had. We did this for BIL one year by getting a selection of beers from a small local brewery. We figured they would be ones he had never seen before and it meant we were supporting a small, local business as well.

Shemozzle Tue 24-Nov-15 15:16:54

I get experience gifts for OH as he is very difficult to buy. Things like flying lesson, helicopter ride, hot air balloon, zip lining etc I've also for massages/chiropractor vouchers. have a look on Groupon for inspiration.

SquadGoals Tue 24-Nov-15 16:42:18

Thank you for all of your help!

Forgot to mention - he lives in Australia so subscriptions etc are a great idea but not sure whether he can receive them!

He's applying for jobs around the world so I don't know where he will be to buy him experiences.

Think we may go for some sort of travel kit - personalised passport holder, travel earphones & currency and a couple of books.

His course was Philosophy and Spanish - any books on South America specifically would go down well if anyone has any recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now