Talk

Advanced search

Q about the board game Labyrinth

(16 Posts)
TelephoneTree Mon 23-Nov-15 11:23:35

Does anyone know if this is too similar to the lego Harry Potter game to buy both?

Ta in advance...

HuevosRancheros Mon 23-Nov-15 12:08:35

No idea what the Harry Potter game is, so I'll explain labyrinth so you can compare smile

You get a fold-out board with a few fixed map pieces.
You then have lots of other pieces with various markings on them, that get randomly placed all over the board, until it is all covered. You end up with a board covered in a maze.

You each (max 4 players, min 2) take three cards. These match pictures in the board, and are the things you attempt to "collect" during the game.

My kids are 7 & 5, so we play simply - you can get any piece in any order, whichever is easiest. We also don't hide pieces from each other, but I can see that this would make it a more interesting game.

When it is your turn, you take the spare map piece and push it into the board - this shifts the whole maze layout, so potentially ruins your plans of where you were going to move next.

The first person to get all of heir pieces is the winner.

I love playing it, and can see that it will be even more interesting as the kids get older. But even now, it is good smile

BramblePie Mon 23-Nov-15 12:13:58

Love Labyrinth board game! Really fun! No idea about Harry Potter lego though - so I missed the point of your post. Just love labyrinth!

TelephoneTree Mon 23-Nov-15 12:44:59

Fab thank you! Harry potter is a kind of maze with 4 things you need to collect and then get back to 'home'. The maze pieces are moved around as per dice throws and how you want to challenge your opponents!

fuzzpig Mon 23-Nov-15 14:12:34

They are different enough to justify both IMO. grin It's different strategies as in HP you can see who has what, whereas in Labyrinth the cards are generally secret, and the way of moving the tiles is different too. We have both but Labyrinth is played more often.

If anyone reading has DCs into Star Wars, there's a new SW version of Labyrinth that is going on Amazon lightning deal early tomorrow morning

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Mon 23-Nov-15 14:31:43

Huevos, do you have the junior version! or the normal game?

My kids are about the same age and I was thinking of buying the junior version, but now wondering if I just go for the proper one.

Anyone got any views on junior vs the full version?
Thanks.

HuevosRancheros Mon 23-Nov-15 14:40:25

I've got the normal version.

It is easily adapted to younger players.
I can't remember the correct rules, but I seem to think that a) you keep your cards hidden from other players and b) you have to "get" your pieces in order. We do neither of these, so we can help the kids get their pieces by moving the maze in the right direction. Though they have taken to blocking us!!

We can change the rules as they get older.

Kids were 6 and nearly 4 when we got it, and they have loved it from the start.

fuzzpig Mon 23-Nov-15 14:43:28

Yes I think this is one of those games where the junior version really isn't necessary. You can adapt it as Huevos said, also you could just do say 4 cards each instead of sharing them all out, that kind of thing. DS was 4 when he started playing too.

Usually we go for adult versions of games now, and at first we just tend to have the DCs in teams with us while they learn the rules.

loveaspiring Mon 23-Nov-15 23:14:41

Um fuzzpig, how do you know about the Star Wars Labyrinth offer? It sounds perfect for my Star Wars obsessed, Labyrinth loving boys! Do you know when the offer will come on and how much it might be?

feetheart Mon 23-Nov-15 23:36:21

fuzzpig - I think I love you grin
My Star Wars obsessed DC will explode with happiness if SW Labyrinth turns up on Christmas Day.
Apparently the deal starts at 5.20am tomorrow although the discount showing at the moment isn't very much.
Must go to bed now to be up early smile

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Tue 24-Nov-15 06:30:00

Thanks Huevos and Fuzzpig - I'll get the proper version!

loveaspiring Tue 24-Nov-15 06:41:29

Hooray! Just got the Star Wars version for £13! Thank you fuzzpig smile

Hope your family loves regular Labyrinth Twins. We all do!

feetheart Tue 24-Nov-15 06:44:31

Just got the Star Wars version on the Day Deal thingie for £13.79 rather than £21. Guess what we will be playing A LOT over Christmas grin
Thanks fuzzpig

Noeuf Tue 24-Nov-15 06:48:51

Just had a look - by the time I added post etc it wasn't worth it, forgot about that!

fuzzpig Tue 24-Nov-15 08:15:48

Most welcome, glad a few of you got it. Don't know why they put the deal on at such an unfriendly time hmm

The only reason I knew about it is because in the run up to Christmas I check the Amazon lightning deals page every day blush

feetheart Tue 24-Nov-15 17:54:15

I added a few other Star Wars related stuff and ended up with free postage.
I'll be keeping an eye on things from now on fuzzpig Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now